PDA

View Full Version : Y dont pros use drops??

Supatravis
07-05-2002, 09:44 AM
I look through my paintball magazines and see pros playing without any kind of drop personally i couldnt stand not having a drop. If the pros do have a drop it isnt a very long one. So all you pros out there y dont you guys believe in drops??

Yama
07-05-2002, 09:54 AM
its all personal preference...... everyones different.

p8ntballa
07-05-2002, 10:06 AM
With the way most hold their guns, it gives them a tighter setup. I think.

Wc Keep
07-05-2002, 10:08 AM
most drops also add height to their gun thats another reason.

Supatravis
07-05-2002, 10:12 AM
it wouldnt really give height to your gun if its tight into your arm. If you got shot in your drop you would have been hit in your arm anyways. Plus with a drop you can get the gun closer to your body less sticking out.

pito189
07-05-2002, 10:33 AM
Most pros that you see in paintball magazines are the front players. They use 45/45 tanks and they are so small they don't usually need a drop, because they won't have anything to post into their shoulder.

07-05-2002, 10:45 AM
a lot of pro players use their nitrogen tank to slide on, this works best when the tank is mounted directly to the gun. if the tank were on a long drop forward, it would be more prone to flexing and breakage.

also on the "superman dives" often the tank of the marker is the first thing to make contact with the ground. refs and future refs note: watch the front players, paint hits on the chest and thigh area will not be there after a slide like this.

also, with all the paint the pro's fing, you would think that more of em would get out off of the break than actually go off of the field ;)

TITAN
07-05-2002, 10:53 AM
i think its more comfortable to have the tank right off the grip... it doesnt arch your wrist as much and you dont have the butt of the gun like half an inch away from you mask. its just personal preference. and it really doesnt feel much longer like you would think. i personally am goin to run a 68 quest right of my ir3s grip when i get it this month(hopefully)

Supatravis
07-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Now those are some good answers i really had to think.

RT_Luver
07-05-2002, 11:16 AM
I couldn't shoot a gun with out a drop. it almost against my religion

Load SM5
07-05-2002, 11:17 AM
Iu sed to think the same way. I wanted the tank right under the gun. My first mag had a DZ2 cranked out as far as it would go. But oiver the years I've discovered that micro drops are a little more comfy. The setup is still pretty small but you can butt the tank to your shoulder and not have to goose neck your wrist as much. It makes the setup more comfy and I can actually fire a little faster. I run a KAPP teardrop on my cocker and will have a Shocktech mini on the way for my SFL.

Telefragged
07-05-2002, 11:54 AM
I used to have a huge Psychoballistics Pro-Style drop that was almost 7.5" long. I thought it was cool because my marker was so short, but then it was ungainly and uncomfortable. Smaller drops are really a better investment, they still balance the marker, but are much mroe comfortable.

Jonno06
07-05-2002, 12:02 PM
have you noticed most the people against drops are angel users?

i have a huge 88/4500 tank,and a huge pmi perfect drop,so its all gravy...

if i had a 68tank,i wouldnt run drop

spyder3634
07-05-2002, 12:39 PM
i dont see why not. im a pretty small guy and i always use a big drop. it works well. i guess its all preference tho:)

Knives
07-05-2002, 12:52 PM
With my angel i used a nitroduck minireg and it was mounted about an inch forward. personnaly it was 2 far forward, the only way i would use a drop is if i had a screw in tank and even then it would only be a shocktech

shartley
07-05-2002, 01:09 PM
I can not think of playing without one (drop). My RTPro is so darn tight and feels SO good with the drop that honestly, it would detract from the whole thing to NOT have it.

My Wife’s marker has a DF on it as well and for the same reason…. And my Son’s? You got it! He used my RTPro with DF and then his marker, and said “Dad, I really want a drop forward for mine too.” (or something close to it.. LOL) So we went out and got him one….. BIG difference!

We don’t use our tanks to “slide” on, or any of the other reasons given for NOT having a DF…. So let the “Pro”s not use them… no problems here. My family and I don’t play anything but “rec” ball, so we don’t key off of what the Pro’s do or don’t do anyway. But we think our “game” would not be as enjoyable without the DFs. :D

Curly
07-05-2002, 01:37 PM
Actually another interesting reason for having small drop forwards is the fact that less of a drop you have the more stable your shooting platform is going to be. Thus you have a more accurate setup. this setup also lets you tuck into bunkers on airball and hyperball fields very easily.

raehl
07-05-2002, 02:39 PM
A lot of pros started playing BEFORE drop forwards were common and are just plain used to not having one. If you've played for years without a drop-forward, starting to play with one feels just as odd to them as playing without one does to us "younger" players.

- Chris

KHartley
07-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Sam, I was going to post just about the same thing. I really like having the drop on mine. It is so much more comfortable and definitely brings the marker in a lot closer, giving much more control. I have used markers with and without a drop forward and much prefer the drop.

So, as so many have said, I would agree it is a preference thing. :)

blnk162
07-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by raehl
A lot of pros started playing BEFORE drop forwards were common and are just plain used to not having one. If you've played for years without a drop-forward, starting to play with one feels just as odd to them as playing without one does to us "younger" players.

- Chris

Just stop talking. Im a "younger" player and i dont use a dropforward, so therefore your argument is off base.

Yatta!
07-05-2002, 05:04 PM
You say "swan neck" like it is a bad thing, my friend has a 98 with a 14in CP and pyscho ballistics drop and he plays up front with me on some airball fields. He likes the swan neck position. Its a preference. If I didnt have a drop on my RTP I would just go crazy and eat my gun. Mmmmm....RTP.....

Yatta!

HyperSnyper
07-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Drops are all personal preference. Its actually have to be tailored to your liking and to the length of your arms. Im 5'10" and love my little DYE drop.

I first had a NW Stretch Z (7.5"), thought it was the coolest thing, then found myself shaking since the tank was just floating in the air and wasnt up on my shoulder. I moved to a Shocktech DF (5") felt better, but still felt far away from a stable platform.

Now I use a DYE drop, almost not a drop at all, only 2-3". The tank nestles nicely into my shoulder and my shot grouping have been alot tighter since I now have a more stable and firm platform.

Theres a reason rifles have butt/stocks. Use them.

-Hyper

raehl
07-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by blnk162

Just stop talking. Im a "younger" player and i dont use a dropforward, so therefore your argument is off base.

Uhm, relax. I put younger in quotes for a reason (because it was meant to refer to time people were in the sport as opposed to age), and it certainly wasn't meant to apply to EVERYONE. The argument is that pros TEND not to use drops because their preference is shaped by the fact that a good deal of them learned to use their marker when drops didn't exist. The whole "it's preference" argument is off base - EVERYTHING is preference. Why do some players use one marker over another? One jersey? One jersey COLOR? Paint brand? Preference, every single time. There's a big difference between saying someone uses something because they prefer to (like, duh man) and saying WHY they prefer it. Saying I use an E-Mag instead of an Angel because I prefer to is a lot less informative than saying I use an E-Mag instead of an Angel because I like the Warp Feed body and the RT trigger. The first is an excercise in the obvious, the second actually conveys some information.

Regardless Mr. "Everything is about me", I was talking about PROS, not you. Your preferences don't have diddly poop to do with why the pros prefer something. So, yeah, just stop talking.

- Chris

athomas
07-05-2002, 06:09 PM
For rec play I use a Drop Zone II with an 88ci PMI tank offset to the left. It allows me to comfortably hold the gun to my face and stay small. The bad of this is that I can shoot left handed as well. I also can't get as comfortable with the DZII when it is straight. My wrist is strained on the side of the tank.

For tournaments, I go with a different drop that puts the on/off directly under my trigger frame. This allows me free wrist movement and I can shoot right or left with ease.

That's my reasoning.

blnk162
07-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by raehl

Uhm, relax. I put younger in quotes for a reason (because it was meant to refer to time people were in the sport as opposed to age), and it certainly wasn't meant to apply to EVERYONE. The argument is that pros TEND not to use drops because their preference is shaped by the fact that a good deal of them learned to use their marker when drops didn't exist. The whole "it's preference" argument is off base - EVERYTHING is preference. Why do some players use one marker over another? One jersey? One jersey COLOR? Paint brand? Preference, every single time. There's a big difference between saying someone uses something because they prefer to (like, duh man) and saying WHY they prefer it. Saying I use an E-Mag instead of an Angel because I prefer to is a lot less informative than saying I use an E-Mag instead of an Angel because I like the Warp Feed body and the RT trigger. The first is an excercise in the obvious, the second actually conveys some information.

Regardless Mr. "Everything is about me", I was talking about PROS, not you. Your preferences don't have diddly poop to do with why the pros prefer something. So, yeah, just stop talking.

- Chris

Id really like to know where you got the idea that they dont use dropforwards because they didnt start playing with them.As for the time playing not age, who cares what age you are, my playing time is short compared to most pros but that doesnt matter. What pros told you this or did you make it up?Whenever this question has come up any pro on a message board or in real life its because of the factors discussed in the thread such as better aiming and shouldering factors. And how is the preferance argument off base if EVERYTHING is preferance, that statement doesnt even make sense. AS for the not being pro bit, you dont even know me, know my skills, or know what I can do to you on the field so you really cant make a judgment other than im not on a pro roster. you also cant make a judgement since there are some amateur players better than pros, and novice players better than amateur and pro players.

P.S:how are the "allstars" doing?

Dubstar112
07-05-2002, 06:57 PM
I hate dropforwards, I dont use one, never will. I have a 68/45 crossfire on a max flo bottom line with no drop. Fits me perfect. Besides, dropforwards are for chicks!

blnk162
07-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Dubstar112
I hate dropforwards, I dont use one, never will. I have a 68/45 crossfire on a max flo bottom line with no drop. Fits me perfect. Besides, dropforwards are for chicks!

watch out man, youll get flamed for being opinionated, thats not allowed didnt ya know

shartley
07-05-2002, 07:00 PM
BWAAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAA

I HOPE that was a joke..... :rolleyes:

Dubstar112
07-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Yes it was a joke. I just dont like dropforwards. That was a joke supporting my dislike for dropforwards, although I dont believe personally they are only for chicks.

Now that I had to take the fun out my statement, enjoy.

Eh.. heres an exerpt from chat:

SHartley> Drop Forwards are for "chicks" LOL
Ratsbud> put a straw in there
Ratsbud> :)
Sarah> she's thrown a steak knife at me before
Ratsbud> SHartley, they are
cphilip> Sounds like YOUR bird sarah
Ratsbud> Get over it gurly man
Ratsbud> lol

I am ratsbud, and the stuff pertaining to the subject is bolded

BeerCitySk8brds
07-05-2002, 07:08 PM
It is mainly preference. I think that on mags you definately need one my gun is so long without a drop. It also depends on tank size and weight. Mags are terribly unbalanced without drops. I used to think bigger the better (not in that way) but i wouldn't trade my shocktech mid. for any drop.

shartley
07-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Yes it was a joke. I just dont like dropforwards. That was a joke supporting my dislike for dropforwards, although I dont believe personally they are only for chicks.

Now that I had to take the fun out my statement, enjoy.

Eh.. heres an exerpt from chat:

SHartley> Drop Forwards are for "chicks" LOL
Ratsbud> put a straw in there
Ratsbud> :)
Sarah> she's thrown a steak knife at me before
Ratsbud> SHartley, they are
cphilip> Sounds like YOUR bird sarah
Ratsbud> Get over it gurly man
Ratsbud> lol

I am ratsbud, and the stuff pertaining to the subject is bolded
LOLROF

rx2
07-05-2002, 07:46 PM
I made my drop myself, so it works perfectly for me.
Being 6'3", and having the proportions I have, mounting a tank directly under the grip left the marker a little low for my sighting style, resulting in my having to hunch quite a bit. The way my drop is set up, the tank moves down slightly, allowing a more comfortable posture. Also, it only moves the tank forward a couple of inches, bringing the marker closer to my mask, but not too close as to crowd me, or disallow shouldering if needed. Also, I drilled it so as to allow me to quickly adjust where under the marker the tank is positioned. This means that I don't have to bend my wrist to clear the tank if I don't plan on shooting lefty.

Vegeta
07-05-2002, 10:18 PM
I could not stand playing without one. I did for a long time but it was hard shooting tight because either the tank was in your face or in your nipple... :/

I currently use a 8 inch forward / 2 inch drop. Works great. looks sharp. Doesn't allow for a inline reg/chamber tho.

raehl
07-05-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by blnk162

Id really like to know where you got the idea that they dont use dropforwards because they didnt start playing with them.As for the time playing not age, who cares what age you are, my playing time is short compared to most pros but that doesnt matter. What pros told you this or did you make it up?Whenever this question has come up any pro on a message board or in real life its because of the factors discussed in the thread such as better aiming and shouldering factors. And how is the preferance argument off base if EVERYTHING is preferance, that statement doesnt even make sense. AS for the not being pro bit, you dont even know me, know my skills, or know what I can do to you on the field so you really cant make a judgment other than im not on a pro roster. you also cant make a judgement since there are some amateur players better than pros, and novice players better than amateur and pro players.

P.S:how are the "allstars" doing?

I didn't say it was the only reason, I just said it was a big reason people were missing.

I didn't say age matterred, I just used the word "young" relative to paintball experience instead of age. This would mean I TOTALLY IGNORED age, so I don't see why you're trying to make an issue out of it.

Which message board was this? Did you make it up?

The argument is "off base" because it isn't an arguement at all. Saying it's a matter of preference is about as meaningful as saying the sky is blue. True, yes. Helpful/informative/valuable, no. It's the same as saying nothing only typing more.

I know you're not a pro because if you WERE, you'd be using "we" instead of "they". And no, if you're not on a pro roster, you're not a pro, as that's the only definition paintball (or most any other sport) has. Since the question was "Why don't the pros I see...", what amateurs, novices, or whoever do, whether they're as good as pros or not (define good), doesn't matter, because we're not talking about them. The existence of amatuers or novices or little elves who may be better than some pros certainly doesn't prevent me from making a judgement about pros. You're trying to say you can't make a judgement about any group that doesn't include everyone because it doesn't include everyone. That's ridiculous.

And the all-stars are doing pretty well for a team that's never practiced together or (for the most part) played 10-man. I'll be the first to admit they arn't winning NPPL events, but on the other hand, we're out there to get the word out, play some good clean paintball, and have some fun. We're playing against teams who are taking things especially seriously, practice together, get there early and walk the fields together, etc. Most of our players have classes and jobs which are higher priority than paintball so that just doesn't happen.

Regardless, none of this has anything to do with what I said originally: Some pros don't use drop forwards because they wern't around when they started playing and they don't want to switch to something new if what they're doing works.

Me personally, I like my tank about 2" behind my gun and as far down as possible. With the warp, I usually play with my tank centerred on my chest tilted right when shooting right and my tank on my right shoulder and tilted left when shooting left. Dropping the warp down an inch or two from the gun keeps it from poking out the bunker when shooting left and allows more of an angle for the hopper to feed, but also slows down the warp a bit since it's having to move a bigger stack of balls into the gun. I should also point out that whlie I'm right handed, I'm also left eyed, so this works well for going over the tops of bunkers since I can tilt left then as well, keep the hopper below the bunker, and have the gun right in front of my left eye.

- Chris

liigod
07-06-2002, 02:48 AM
i dont use drops really anymore, ive learned i like raisystem tanks on the bottom of my grips. Right now im using a revesed kapp stubby cradle. Im going to start using a shocktech small drop with asa, just cus i like those... but i REALLY wish i had an apoc i could mount on the bottom of my grip.

liigod
07-06-2002, 02:49 AM
this was my best setup ever, i borrowed this tank, it felt the best of anything ive ever shot. I like no drop cus of feel, and i tend to shoot more acuratly.

FeelTheRT
07-06-2002, 12:16 PM
Many people including myself do not use dropforards because with a longer tank, you have a more stable gun for more stable thus accurate shots. It's also more comftable to hold compared to a gun with a 7" cradle and 2" tank.
Many pros use 16" and longer barrels as well. It is easier to sight down with a longer barrel. I do not dig the long 18" barrels but i do find the long tanks more comfy.

mykroft
07-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Well, I used to me a mondo drop kinda guy (The Drop on my spyder is 8"/2") until I tried an Ultimate Impulse. No drop, perfect balance, just felt better. No I run no drop/shorty drop on everything but my angel, and with an 88, the Angel needs a drop in order to put that huge tank where it would be if it was a 68.

Troy
07-06-2002, 08:14 PM
I have played NPPL tournaments since 98 and have never noticed pros not using df. I play in the front and have found that with a drop forward it becomes imposible to shoulder the gun when in a crouched or laying position.

Supatravis
07-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Well this thread has really struck some attention and i just wanna thank everyone for replying..

covadsucks
07-11-2002, 04:51 PM
So then did you get any resolution to your question?

richie
07-11-2002, 05:55 PM
Well I don't have an answer for your question,but I would say whatever makes them comfortable while they play could be a reason.I don't like my gun being so tall so I made an offset bracket and moved mine off to the side right below the grip. It is great to shoulder and doesn't set too tall when you lean it on something.

E==Mag MAN
07-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Okay a while back i talked to todd of bob long ironmen about this exact thing "DROPFORWARDS". A big reason wich has all ready been mentioned is that u want a stable platform. When u raise a marker up to shoot u want the gun infront of u with the tank as a stock/butt. Its proven you can shoot more accuratly this way and that is why ALOT not all pros use that kind of setup.

Also raehl i have to dissagree with your statement it makes sense but i dont think that is a reason. Okay understand how if people are comfortable with something they tend not to give it up easily. Well if they all started before dropforwards, there for not want to use one? If something new and improved comes along it seems like to me alot of people have no problem switching. So if that is the case then..........
"Why dont all those "old pros" shoot mags anymore"? It looks to me they were just fine with going into the electronic world. Just my opinion though.

paintbattler
07-12-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by RT_Luver
I couldn't shoot a gun with out a drop. it almost against my religion
yea lol..good explanation