PDA

View Full Version : Why a Mag

RTrampage
07-09-2002, 09:49 PM
Now first off dont get me wrong im a die hard mag fan but i was just wonderin, with all the mag bashing and eveyone raggin on mags what made you decide to get one? It seems to me like when people get theyre guns alot of their decision making is based on heresay, so, why a mag with all the bad comments?

Personally, I liked the looks of the RTpro and I heard that AGD had good customer service which is what i wanted. So a few weeks later i had an RT pro and have been happy with it ever since. Id just like to see everybody elsed thoughts on this.

TransMan
07-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Because i did my homework before i bought my gun i read up about all kinds of guns and how they worked and decided that the Automag had the best design. One thing i believe about most Mag owners is that they are not trend fallowers.

epterry
07-09-2002, 10:00 PM
I wanted ether a cocker or a mag because I wanted high quality mechanical. I was set on a cocker until my friend got one and it never seemed to work right. So I bought a mag.:D

virus
07-09-2002, 10:07 PM
used a carbine for 2 years... decided it was time to upgrade... i wanted either a cocker or a mag... then it came down to what kind of upkeep i wanted to do... for me that means which on can i put away for a few months pick it up add a couple drops of oil and go play.... that and i was thinking how i'm not one for cleanin my gear right away unless it involves just hosing it off... that and i can be chronicly lazy (i can put a sloth to shame) =)

also i am a firm beliver in K.I.S.S. aka keep it simple, stupid.... and my choice was made and my mag found its way to me =)

RTrampage
07-09-2002, 10:10 PM
(i can put a sloth to shame)

lol i know whatcha mean

FactsOfLife
07-09-2002, 10:19 PM
A Mag was my third marker in the line up. I traded a shutter for a classic mag that wasn't working. I still think I got the better end of that deal. After I got ahold of the mag, I was impressed at the engineering, the fit and finish of the valve. I was also impressed as hell at the level of readily available knowledge here at AO.

Guys like Blackie, Shartley, RobAGD, and of course the Man hisse'f, Tom Kaye, make this forum the best on the web for info.

It continually amazes me the level of "inside info" that Tom puts out here to the members. I can't think of a SINGLE company that would do what he has done with new product development. Think Xerox would be willing to let it's end users just order up one of their beta machines to play around with to see how it works? Trust me they don't, I worked for a direct competitor and the level of secrecy was unreal.

So I'd have to say, this place was one of the major reasons that I no longer own anything BUT a mag of some description.

Telefragged
07-09-2002, 10:30 PM
I originally wanted something like an Impulse a little while back, figuring I'd naturally like electronic markers for some reason. I got to try an Impulse, an Angel, and an Intimidator when my friends cousins came to CT and we went to paly paintball with his family. I hated the way electronic triggers felt, too short and too light for my tastes I thought.

I told one of his cousins I wanted to get an RT Pro, and he said "nah, get a Cocker, mags are realy blenders, I used to have one and hated it. My friend has one, and calls it his trusty rusty because even though it chops, its tough as nails. Get a Cocker though, much better"

I wanted a Cocker for a while after that, but I did my homework. I checked out AO and other places, shot a few mags, shot a few Cockers, and readabout the science involved with AGD's engineering and the great customer service and decided to go Mag. Seemed logical, fast, simple, reliable, and backed by a great name.

MrMag
07-09-2002, 10:49 PM
i thought they loked kewl, saw my first one when i was in fl on vacation, and fell in luv..................then i tried my friends gz, and fell in luv w/ that :rolleyes:

E==Mag MAN
07-09-2002, 10:55 PM
i stoped and thought about it. Its bob longs fault i have a e-mag. Well i really wanted a e-mag but the last time i checked they were goin for 1100 i said to much. owell so i decided to buy a defiant it was 1 of the last 5 produced. But it didnt have a freaking bolt. bob long was supposed to ship it. okay get this after 3 weeks no bolt i harrassed to store i really wanted my gun. then bob long doesnt send the bolt he sends a freaking intimidator for me to use untill he gets me my bolt. i was like screw him i want my gun so i checked up on the e-mag price what do u know went down to 900 so i said screw im getting me a mag. and u know what im damn glad he never sent that bolt.

RT_Luver
07-09-2002, 11:00 PM
one of my friends decided to get a mag, adn I had a cocker and HATED IT. also, I had wanted an RT for a LONG time b4 that but didn't feel like spending 600 dollars on one. when I saw the RT PRO come out, i did some extensive research on it and came to the conclusion that it was a great gun and that i wanted on. Now that i ahve owned one, I dont think I could ever go to another gun. I just wouldn't be satisfied and couldn't ever be

CpSuPeRkId
07-09-2002, 11:23 PM
i bought my mag because im a smart person like all mag users. we do our homework and get a product because of what we know, not what we hear. did u notice most mag users on here know ALOT about physics and stuff like that. almost everyone on here knows that barrel length does nothing, cockers do not shoot flatter or more accurately, and that lp is just basically a marketing tool. i heard/hear soo much stuff about mags chopping paint and b4 i even shot one i was like ya right its just negative hype, i bet they work great. so i get my hands on a classic mag and was like, WTF?? these things are better than cockers even thought they look like crap(this was the standard feed with plastic grips, stock barrel, etc.)i was like whoa thats funny, people spend 1000 dollars on a cocker, when a 280 dollar gun is faster and has less problems and i know its just as accurate as a cocker. SO I BOUGHT ONE!!!!!!!!!! i couldnt be happier!! and now mags are unstoppable with the xtreme, lvl10, and ace!!!!! i will always use an AGD marker no matter how much i hear this from my teammates, "mags break paint, get an angel because they rip or get a cocker cuz they shoot further."

BajaBoy
07-09-2002, 11:32 PM
Awesome gun all around.. never brakes.. looks great.. good gun to do custom work on.. between the rt, classic, emag, mini.. there all interchangible witch is nice.. and the customer serv. is great to unlike other people (no names)

bigandyash
07-09-2002, 11:33 PM
the name. I thought that automag ment it was full auto:rolleyes:

J
07-09-2002, 11:38 PM
My friend had one, I got one 6 mo after I got my first gun (Spyder). I saw put a shot on top of another, and I was like "I'm going to get me one of those." Tho I don't think anyone one will buy one here after they saw every mag user sit out because of chopping (it was raining and well that's all I need to say) on Saturday. Kinda sad... :(

benbo14
07-10-2002, 09:35 AM
I was going to get a smart parts Impulse but i didnt know much about electros so i decided my move up from my Spyder 2000 should be an automag, which i might add is more accurate that my friends impy.

1_BAD_TAZ
07-10-2002, 09:42 AM
I bought mine after my old gun (VM - 68) started having severe problems and I could no longer find replacement parts easy. My brother had been playing with an Automag for about 10 years now and they are still made. So with having to stop using a gun cause they are no longer made and parts are hard to find I was lookinig for a gun that would be around for a while. The Automag is definatly that gun. Not to mention my brother never had any real problems with his gun and now I have mine.

jeffremiller
07-10-2002, 10:02 AM
One pull of the emag trigger and it was over. Sold my other markers and bought one. Since then, I've sorta gone Mag crazy... I have 3 now with more on the way.

J_

cphilip
07-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Chicks Dig Em!

Marek
07-10-2002, 11:34 AM
A dreamy girl told me to get one, so I did. (Sorry, no interesting tidbits that I spent days researching or trying out other guns) Now I cant stop buying stuff from AGD. When will this viscious cycle ever end.....

paintbattler
07-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
Chicks Dig Em!
not mine..lol..
i got my mag becuz i liked it

Python14
07-10-2002, 11:39 AM
I chose a mag because A. I did my homework and I didn't let someone else make my decision. B. Because I had tried everything from here to the moon and decided the mag suited me best. And finally, I chose it because AGDs customer service is second to none.

AcemanPB
07-10-2002, 12:42 PM
i liked the idea of the internal regulator because this guy at my field was shooting 280 280 280 281 280 281 279 wich was very impresive, and the whole simple upkeep, plus when i first started posting here at AO i was amazed that the president of AGD actually posted and answered everyones questoins oh and i like the compact design

freek133
07-10-2002, 12:45 PM
I got my mag because nobody at the field had one where i live. Everybody at the place where i play has either a matrix or a cocker (everybody has a matrix because of trauma and gridlock, the people who own and play at central) so I wanted to be different, and I was very pleased... so i kept it!!

kool_aid39
07-10-2002, 03:40 PM
I did my homework and decided that a mag was for me. The main reason is that it isn't a cocker or angel. I bought it because it works and not beacuse the pros use it.

Hypped up guns are the work of the devil.

Magluvr
07-10-2002, 07:01 PM
I had just loaded my Piranha to the max, but it still didn't seem good enough so I decided that I wanted to go with "the guns pros use". I looked at the electro's but all I saw in them was lots of gadgets to be broken. So then it was between the mag and the cocker. I decided to research. The only place that seemed intuitive was here, AO. I then looked at all the pages debating the cocker and mag, and studied the two designs. I decided that the mag was definitely better than the cocker, especially considering that it is kind of an exclusive gun, because not way too many people have them, like the cocker. Then when shopping around for a mag I found a good deal at Paintballgear.com. So I bought a MiniMag for $280. It is THE BEST gun I have ever played with. Stock, it wastes my tricked out Piranha easily.

Go with the mags, you can't be disappointed!

K-villeplayer
07-10-2002, 07:09 PM
I decided to get my mag when I actually got some money. I got a job, and was sick of my spyder. i looked on Action Village and saw the TKO and was like, "what a killer gun." I then made more than expected at my job and ordered the nitro package that they used to offer. It was a Flatline n2(68-3000) standard feed mag and progressive barrel for $430. This was the best deal for a gun and an n2 system so I bought it. It was all about the cost. I knew that I cocker would take a lot of cash to make it bad a** but I read that mags are like that right out of the box, so I went mag and got a good deal.

Best decision in my paintball career.

RRfireblade
07-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Is there any other kind of marker?
Kidding of course.

I ordered a Talon and they sent me a Mag.Guess I'll use it untill Walmart opens in the morning.
Kidding Again.

What else would I get, A Cocker!
I kill myself.

When I'm not using it for paintball it makes great strawberry smoothies.
Woo Hoo,He's on a roll!

Somebody Stop Me!

Seriously,I got it on Ebay for $1,254,410.00 is that to much?

Jay.

P.S. What's the best barrel,paint,tank,hopper,grip,drop,trigger? I'm saving for one and have no idea what to buy without the help of perfect strangers who don't know anything about me or my style of play or where I play etc...

muirtach
07-10-2002, 11:08 PM
I went to my first scenario game and ended up using a PGP almost all of the time when my spyder went down. I like the PGP, but wanted something with a bit more oomph. I sat down next to a guy with a brand new mag at the end of the game, and asked him how well it worked for him. He was nothing if not ecstatic by its perforamnce and recommended it wholeheartedly. Well I took his advice under consideration and did a bit of research. After finding AO it was all over, no turning back.
I just hope that same guy is at the scenario this weekend so I can thank him.

DarkRipper
07-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Last time I owned a standard mag was in 1996. Let's face it, there weren't many high end tourny guns in 96... cockers SUCKED in 96.
I had an emag recently, too. May-July 2001.

Now? I shoot a Race cocker.

:)
DR

Brian68mag
07-11-2002, 12:26 PM
I was playing with 40 some people in Wheatland WY at this HUGE SWEET natural field, it was forest in one area, rock canyon in another, hilly open field in another area and paint was 200 for 6 bucks. The family who runs this field on there ranch are huge into paintball. There dad was a good amatuer player in the mid 90's and was shooting a tricked red ano'd mag, jeremy and his sister also shot nice mags and we're dominating the field. I talked with all of them about the mag' and how it worked, they gave me a rundown of the gun and boasted how sweet it was, i shot it, loved it to death. When i went back to laramie I went to the new paintball shop and the guy had a 68 classic down there. On it was a J&J ceramic barrel, kapp dzone, red revvy, sight rail, expansion chamber and the valve was brass plated(he said it was gold but it sure as hell doesnt look like gold to me) it had the standerd frame cut up to hold a double trigger. all that for 350 and i was sold, i told him to hold it for me and when i got paid i ran down there and got my mag :D. My friend were all impressed with the mag but i couldnt sway them away from there cockers and electros. Ive had one problem with my mag the power tube tip came loose during a game and was in the bolt, i stripped the gun behind a laydown bunker and tightend it and finishd the game, it came loose again in a game and stopped firing and i just walked off the field and got the locktite and really tightened it. Then i realised i put the oring on the wrong side of the spacer, took 5 mins but i got the tip off, lightly locktited it and its been fine since.
Most of my friends still wont consider or even ponder getting a mag because they are followers, they believe the chop even though i never break paint, the think cockers and trix's shoot farther and are more accurate and there not electro so you cant shoot fast enough. ect ect
Best decision i ever made was getting a mag.

wow i wrote a book, now all i need is a title.

SqueegeeKid
07-11-2002, 05:01 PM
I worked with a guy who had one. He told me the usual stuff (good cust. service, easy maintenance, quality, etc) so when i decided to upgrade from a Spyder (took about 2 months) that's what i bought.

I played a few times with guys with Cockers and i noticed they were always tinkering with them. I wasn't up for that hassle at the time.

MagmanLee
07-11-2002, 05:44 PM
well i was playing in the woods w/ my friends, one of em had a cocker and another a mag. The cocker guy was boasting bout how accurate and fart his gun shoots and how the mag sucked, the mag gun just smiled and didn't say a thing. Well, anyways about 30 sec into this woodball game, the guy with the mag shoots the cocker gun and tear me several new *******s...now i'm returning the favor to the general pb population.:D

SyntaxError
07-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by MagmanLee
The cocker guy was boasting bout how accurate and [B]fart his gun shoots

LOL hahahaha he said a cocker farts heehee

magsRus
07-11-2002, 08:28 PM
your question: why a mag

my answer: why not