PDA

View Full Version : liquid co2 in the valve

primo411
07-09-2002, 11:27 PM
how important is it that i get an anti siphon valve. i run my co2 horizontaly. if i get co2 in the valve will it ruin it

ciaran.mooney
07-10-2002, 04:23 AM
Well it won't ruin the valve, just the o-rings and when an o-ring goes in a mag, its can make it unusable. Also if your valve freezes up mid game because liquid Co2 got in, it will not fire and you'll have to wait for it to warm up to be able to use it again.

raver
07-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Primo,

Most of the regular advise is to run air, but I've run C02 for 8 years on a mag with no issues. If you don't want to fit an anti-siphon tube, you can install a mini, vertical bottle near the front of the frame. However, it will probably be more expensive. That's the setup I've got and it's been working great.

If you don't get the bottle, I would definitely recomend the anti-siphon.

Hope this helps.

InvisibleBill
07-11-2002, 07:40 PM
howdy. I ran CO2 through my mag and it did run fine, but I couldn't shot nice long strings becuase the co2 wouldn't expand quick enough. I was using the stock minimag set up at the time. Co2 is definitely not the best to used though, since my friend blew up (not literally, but they were wrecked) all of the o-rings in his classic becuase he used co2 on a kinda cold day (it was around 50 degrees). he also was shooting his gun up side down too, though. Thats some thing you wanna avoid if you run co2. hope this help and makes sense...IB.

Army
07-11-2002, 08:09 PM
These are excerpts from my LX test, my Minimag is normally run off Co2:

"It has been installed in Big Red. I chose to use the Minimag and Co2 to give it a fair shot. My Emag isn't having enough troubles to really have a true test of the system. I used up a new fill in the 16oz just playing with it, by shooting a pencil through a soda can (pencil fully in barrel, hit by bolt at end of travel so as to get the full speed and air blast), then pressing the soda can against the point of the pencil ,eraser against the bolt...yup, psssst is all I got! I even did the finger trick, heck, who of you haven't yet?"

" So, I decided to do the most evil of deeds.....I raised the 20oz upside down and above the gun.

You could watch the slinky and expando frost up, then the AIR valve...then I started shooting until the snow was flying, and the gun absolutely locked up and was leaking hard out the barrel. Ice is now flaking off tank, slinky, AIR valve, and body tube.

The on/off was frozen open, and the bolt was stuck forward, so when the valve thawed slightly, the remaining high pressure in the slinky rushed out in a pretty cloud of snow and smoke, just like a fire extiguisher, that made everyone back off a little with a look of fright! Of course, this mad rush of Co2 liquid out the bolt and barrel totally froze the LX componants AND the ball that was still in the chamber. Waiting another 3.5 minutes resulted in the bolt spring finally pushing the bolt back to sear lock.

Immediately after hearing the "click" of the sear, I got back on the trigger and started wailing away. Despite the great blizzard that erupted from the barrel, LX kept on shooting without any chops or stops."

As you can see, Automags can run very well on juice if you set it up correctly. This was the first time I replaced all my O-rings and the reg-seat in over 6 years of Co2 use in my gun.

...and before any of you guys razz me for Co2, many fields and shops do not yet fill nitro.:cool:

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 10:06 PM
I used to run vertical CO2. Never had any problems, worked quite well. The only thing I didn't like was holding up my big 20oz. tank, weighed a ton, I would recommend a smaller tank run by vertical setup.

AcemanPB
07-11-2002, 11:14 PM
i run a a 20oz anti-siphon tank and an expansion chamber and i have yet to have problems, but i do plan on buying a nitrogen tank soon (right now i have to worry about getting a car so paintball has to wait)