PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with the heat?

Junky
07-10-2002, 04:07 PM
What things do you do differant when it is hot out?
How do you store your paint?
What do you do to keep cool while playing?
and any other info on hot weather playing.

Mango
07-10-2002, 04:11 PM
I drink tons of water/gatorade and just play on. I keep the windows down a bit in the car and try to keep the paint out of the direct sunlight. Thats about it.

cwuchu
07-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Drink plenty of fluids and you should be fine. I keep my paint in a cooler - keeps it dry if it rains and protected from the heat.

Panzerr
07-10-2002, 04:27 PM
The army way. Drink water.

triggerman
07-10-2002, 04:31 PM
i keep my paint in an empty cooler in the trunk. as for keepin me cool i drink lots of water and i got this neck thing that has some kinda jell in it that keeps cold for a long time when you get it wet

dropkick1
07-10-2002, 04:31 PM
yeah, pretty much drink a lot of water and depends, but sometimes i don't wear a hat to help but basically just drink fluids. maybe if its really hot wera shorts and my shin pads.

ken

Army
07-10-2002, 04:56 PM
What heat? It was only 119F today, according to Range Control Met-Section.

:D

SlipknotX556
07-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Well down here in Flordia when you play its about 85 to 98 degress all the time. I wear pants and t shirt and my jersey. After about 2 games I lose the jersey, just play in my t shirt. Also drink water and other liquids. To keep my paint out of the sun I put it in my tent that we gear up in.

Junky
07-10-2002, 05:03 PM
Keep 'em comin' guys/girls.....I'm going to being doing an article for next week on Paintball Oregon.
and I'm trying to get a variety of players opinions

Clare
07-10-2002, 05:33 PM
I drink lots of liquids and I lose the jersey and play in a tshirt... As for my paint, the staging area is covered so it's never in direct sunlight except when I'm actually playing.

obsolete898
07-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Shorts, t-shirt and lot's of water. You could play like wingman and not wear a shirt.

bornl33t
07-10-2002, 05:57 PM
deal with the Heat? be very careful and with lotza respect... best way to keep from getting flamed :D :D :D

sorry couldn't resist

Paintballer86
07-10-2002, 06:01 PM
I wear jersey- and pants and shinguards, gloves... the whole 9 yards. When it gets really hot, I play in a paintball t-shirt. After the game, I have a camelback (kind of like a water "bladder" on your back by which you suck water through a tube for those of you who dont know) and I drink alot from that. Also I sit down, and for me, (this is gonna sound really dumb) I just think about being outside in winter in mu underwear, and a chill for a second comes over me. It is really weird. And I also wear a sweatband to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

HoppysMag
07-10-2002, 06:01 PM
am i the only one who plays naked??:D no im kidding, a tshirt and lots of water. also i some times wear a soaking wet hat tohelp with the heat...

MagMan5446
07-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Shorts and no shirt. Pour a little water on ya, drink a lot and you'll be fine.

Load SM5
07-10-2002, 06:18 PM
I wear a vented JT Jersey that works really well in the heat and a shocktech headband to keep the sweat out of my face. I drink water like it going out of style, even if I'm not thirsty. Since I'm in good with the field owner he lets me store my paint in the air conditioned office area and go in there to fill my pods.

spacemanspiff
07-10-2002, 06:29 PM
I cut the sleeves off my old JT jersey and it works great. I wear my knee/shin pads and PJ pants. Looking into getting a head band to help with seat my head sock gets alittle to hot sometimes. And I drink whatever I can get my hands on.

xatle
07-10-2002, 06:33 PM
drink lotsa water and sports drinks. hose down your hat, hose down your shirt. shorts, t shirt, soccer kleats(sp?), all my pads. i store my paint in the shade, so it doesnt change temp much while im in game.

FreshmanBob
07-10-2002, 06:37 PM
if you have a stock class gun or any 12 gram changer and a 12 gram, put in the 12 gram like normal, gas up and remove it. It gets extremely cold from the liquid co2 expanding and makes for a sort of quasi-ice pack. :)

Eagle
07-10-2002, 06:58 PM
I carry a camelbak with me

rx2
07-10-2002, 07:00 PM
85+ degrees and 99% relative humidity is commen when I play, so I have gotten used to it. But, as all have suggested, it is still a good idea to drink plenty of fluid. Don't over-do it, though, as too much fluid can cause problems like vomiting and cramping, and electrolytic imbalance. If you feel like you can't drink any more, but are still hot, then get some rest!
Also, don't play when you are suffering from a viral infection. It isn't good.

marley618
07-10-2002, 07:36 PM
I drink lots of water, bring a cooler to put my paint in. The humidity and heat here make it expand fast. Stay in the shade and drink more water. That's about all

blnk162
07-10-2002, 07:41 PM
i douse my doo-rag with water before everygame and just drink a lot and get naked in between games

boggerman
07-10-2002, 10:21 PM
My buddies and I go up into the higher elevation where it is cooler. In 45 min to an hour, we can be 8,500 to 11,000 feet up. This is a pic of where we played sunday, it's about 8,600 ft. and was probably 85-90 degrees(way better that the 104 it was down here). We are going up to 10,500 or 11,000 ft on the 20th to camp out and play. Oh yeah, drink plenty of fluids and try to get out of the sun between games.

MrMag
07-10-2002, 10:36 PM
well i go to football for 4hrs

ChuckWag78
07-10-2002, 11:23 PM
I live in FL and the only way to beat the heat is to embrace it! Get yourself a tan while your out there. There is nothing better then having a tan everywhere but your face! Oh Yea Drink lots of water. You have to say that don't you.

Sid2
07-11-2002, 12:41 AM
i drink lots of water and i dont run if i dont have to

Kaiser Bob
07-11-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by boggerman
My buddies and I go up into the higher elevation where it is cooler. In 45 min to an hour, we can be 8,500 to 11,000 feet up. This is a pic of where we played sunday, it's about 8,600 ft. and was probably 85-90 degrees(way better that the 104 it was down here). We are going up to 10,500 or 11,000 ft on the 20th to camp out and play. Oh yeah, drink plenty of fluids and try to get out of the sun between games.

How in God's name do you play up there? I was just up in colorado, and beforehand i thought id get some ballin in, but once i got to around 9,000 feet i thought id pass out from going up some stairs! You should come down here where the oxygen is plenty, youd be like gods among men! :D

joeyjoe367
07-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Here's a trick that I like to do:

IF you have a mask that's open-cell foam, pour some cold water onto them, and It'll help keep your face cool while you play.

dampening your t-shirt, etc... will do the trick also... just you lady's gotta watch out for the lusty guys ;)

also, if you get co2 filled, toss the tank down your shirt, and on your neck. Niiiiiice and cool :)

einhander619
07-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Heat? Just get used to it, man. Do like I do, get a job where you spend 8 hours a day outside running around on blacktop with jet exhaust hitting you in the face. Today, the thermometer read 110, and that was in the shade. After a few weeks of that, speedball in 95 degree heat will seem like an icebox!

Oh yeah, I got heat exhaustion today, too. I'm still kinda dizzy!

BartManSr
07-11-2002, 08:18 AM
We play early in the morning, trying to be the first one's there. Thus, by 1 or 2:00 PM we can quit. We also wear shorts, tee shirts or a vented Jersey and drink a ton of water.

It does get hot here in Oklahoma.

mykroft
07-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Soak my hat with water, I use a 4+3 pack, so in the 3 go water bottles, which I demolish after each game, paint goes in the shade, so do I between games. I play in Jersey + pants, as my jersey breaths far better than any T-Shirt (If you use JT jersey's get a SP or BlackStar Jersey, they breathe better)

cphilip
07-11-2002, 09:03 AM
I don't! I just don't play as much. Us old guys cannot regulate our bodies as well as we used too. When it's not fun don't do it I always say. I love to watch or ref too so not problem. Although evert once in a while I run more as Ref than playing. Play a few, sit a few and Ref a few. Its all good with me.

TITAN
07-11-2002, 10:15 AM
i just dont play when its really hot... unless i get a new gun and im really anxious to use it:D

slushee
07-11-2002, 01:03 PM
I say suck it up! :D

Brian68mag
07-11-2002, 02:46 PM
I put the paint in the shade and maybe in a cooler if i have one. The best thing is a camelback, a small one works for me, it sounds dumb but it is way nice, keeps you hydrated throughout the game and keeps you cool.

:D

DaFlip
07-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Water is your best friend. If you feel dizzy, get out quick. I got heat exhaustion playing in hot Texas 108 degree a few years ago, its not fun at all. Also, amazing what a banana can do, replenishes your potassium so you don't get cramps and other things since you lose alot when you sweat. Stay in the shade, keep cool, drink a lot of fluids. Stay away from soft drinks, they are the devil's water when it comes to restoring your water level.

Paint, keep it out of direct sunlight, keep it sealed up, and keep it as cool as possible.

DaFlip

synreal
07-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Us old guys cannot regulate our bodies as well as we used too.

:rolleyes: fighting.....urge.......mustn't.....mock.....phil' s....oldnissity

it's like teeball...just sitting there to take a swing at ;)

btw, they make special "underwear" for that problem

cphilip
07-11-2002, 03:03 PM
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/ignore.gif

Aranarth
07-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Heat? I agree with army on this one. Boy I miss those 110 days in arizona.
-AranarthX

07-12-2002, 12:18 AM
when the heat is onto you, you turn around and fire a couple shots over the cops heads and they scatter, that's how you deal with the heat. ;)

dre1919
07-12-2002, 09:13 AM
I have a small, highly trained and deadly cadre of beautiful female "coolers" who follow my every paintball move. At any stop behind a bunker or moment of still activity, they suddenly spring forth and douse me with water! They are all uniformed in white, and frequently douse themselves to keep cool, so their very presence sometimes creates moments of still activity from other players! Ok...that's a lie. ;) But you could imagine...

Ekul
07-12-2002, 09:41 AM
I drink Gator-scuzz and get a nice, cool, wet lid on my dome. I keep the paint in the shade and try and slow down a little when it gets over 100. Two weeks ago I played with a guy who only wears shorts. I thought he was crazy but he sure looked comfy. :D

paintballisking
07-12-2002, 12:00 PM
put paint in a cooler

remeber unused paint try and not walk around with it when you get off the field change your paint in your pods rotate it in and out of you cooler this will take some of the heat off it (less brittel)

drink lots of water no pop it doesn't help but hurt you on the hot days. bring a tarp if your out in a field and there is no shade it can be a ten degree diference in the shade on some days

always watch your teamates heat stroke is common in the summer (ex red cross) look for the guy who isn't sweating even though is hot, disoriented get them to the shade as soon as posible let them have sips of water dont let them pound it like there in a race slowly cool them down be carful they don't go in to shock that is a bigger longer story call for help

have fun