PDA

View Full Version : The mailman kicked my dog!

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:00 AM
This morning the mailman was coming across the neighbors lawn, and my dog went over to greet him. My dog is a big old friendly golden retriever female who wouldn't hurt the grass if she didn't have to. When she ran over to postman pat she showed NO signs WHATSOEVER of attacking, biting, etc. The mailman kicked my dog multiple times in the face and head!

That's wrong, if the postman feels intimadated or threatened he needs a better method of scaring away the dog. Kicking? Once, maybe, 3 times? Unacceptable. I called Canada Post and got a complaint in and explained what happened. I couldn't find the mailman when I went looking for him because I wanted a name. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. My dog is fairly old and could have been seriously injured by kicking to the head. And if my dog was/is injured, I would go to Post Office and make sure this guy get's FIRED! Is this illegal in any way? Thanks guys.

wyn1370
07-11-2002, 09:04 AM
you could nail him on cruelty to animals. Luckly my dog stays in the back yard, cause if anybody hurt my dog, I'd go postal (pun intended).

freek133
07-11-2002, 09:08 AM
I dont know if it is illegal, but it is definatley not right to mistreat animals, there has been some cases involving abused or mistreated animals.(But most of those cases were from the people setting the animals on fire) Whatever happens, I hope your dog is not kicked any more.

Another story of mailmen taking no precaution to your stuff is,

My grandma has a beautiful flower garden that is pretty much her hobby, well, the mailman made a new path to her mail box, right through the flowers. It happened time after time untill me and my grandfather took out some flowers and placed some stepping stones in his path so he wouldnt mess up anything else.

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:18 AM
Geuss what else? Then he didn't deliver our mail!!

obsolete898
07-11-2002, 09:22 AM
I would kicked him in the face, I'm not joking either. I have an old golden retriever/lab and the thought of anyone intentionaly harming him infuriates me. Easy solution I would have beat the the ever loving crap out of that jerk.

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Yeah my dog is part of the family just like my brothers and sisters.

TigerMan
07-11-2002, 10:19 AM
If the Canadian Post Office doesn't do anything about it, set up your sprinkler (if you have one) and hide and when you see him next turn it on right when he gets near it, that will teach him. :D

irbodden
07-11-2002, 10:23 AM
It's illegal.. he should get fired. Don't be TOO big of a jerk, because a postman could mess you up big time..

FutureMagOwner
07-11-2002, 10:56 AM
id report him and kick him in the balls and see how he likes being kicked. theres no reason in heck to hit a dog

MagMan5446
07-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by FutureMagOwner
theres no reason in heck to hit a dog

Thats not true...

But yeah if he kicked my dog I would've messed him up good.

HoppysMag
07-11-2002, 12:54 PM
we also have an old golden... one day we got a call from the post office saying our dog attack the mail man... ok he started to say how our dog is gunna have to be put down and how this and that... at first we tried to be nice about it but eventualy we told him ( the postmaster ) that our mailman has been being cruel to all the dogs on my street ( which he has) , he maced my friends grand mothers cocker spanial when it was behind a fence... all and all in the end the guy was fired and probibly sued... he had harraced one dog one too many times... it was probibly the nexdoor neighbors german shepard in our yard... but back to your cituacion.

if he can prove that he felt threatened by your dog im sure there is some kinda self defence rule for them or sumthing. but if there was no threat its cruilty to animals...

but he should not have kicked your dog... but you also should have had the dog tied up or have been watching him...

you know a safty is there for the times you fail to take your finger off the trigger... a barrel condom is there for when the safty fails.

mykroft
07-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Report him to the provincial SPCA.

liigod
07-11-2002, 01:32 PM
2 werds for mr postman... wood chipper

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Yeah there was no threat, I would see why he would have to kick the dog ONCE if it attempted to bite him or attack, but she didn't show that at all. Shr ran up wagging her tail with a shoe in her mouth.

HoppysMag
07-11-2002, 01:39 PM
with a shoe huh... i donno thats a deadly weapon:rolleyes: he shouldnt have kicked your dog... call the postmaster, SPCA, and if nether of that works call a lawyer, if that dont work call in the secrect weapon... LOCAL news... find out if anyone else's dog has been hurt and see if they will do a small story on it... nothing motivates justice like pissed off voters...

InfinatyBPS
07-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Man, if someone kicked my little dog, man they would be on the floor...

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 02:05 PM
Well my dog is kind of big, so same thing but big dog.

jah871
07-11-2002, 03:59 PM
light him up;)

Jonno06
07-11-2002, 04:05 PM
when i first read the title it was kinda funny....

then i saw he kicked it in the head,and ur dog didnt even do anything........you should have struck his skull with a blunt end of ur n2tank....

StuDawggie
07-11-2002, 04:11 PM
Okay, let me step up to the soapbox and say a few words, since I WAS a mailman and have been charged by dogs in the past.

First I'm not going to say what the carrier did was right or wrong, that's not the issuse, there are always woulda, shoulda, couldas, in these situatuions.

If this guy was your regular carrier, then he should have know your dog, and had enough experience with him to know that he was just coming up to greet him. However if a temp was covering of him, then that's different. I know from experience that not all dogs are friendly, and in most cases when one gets loose and charges me I have to react as if they are going to attack. That is why you have mace for the dogs. I also know that not all dogs react to mace and a physical attack has to be maintained. I was attacked 3 times by the same dog (a pit bull doberman mix)that was never phased by the mace, and I was forced to kick the dog to fend off being bitten. I don't know where you mailman kicked your dog, but when I kicked this dog, I went for the sternum area of the dog to knock the wind out of it. On my last attack I was forced to kick the dog in the head because that was the only thing I was able to hit. I am not proud of this fact, but I did what I had to do formyown safety. Was the dog injured? Yes, she yelped but only after the 3rd blow. Did the owners get mad at me? You bet, I kicked "a member of their family". Did the guy try to press charges on me for animal abuse? No. Did he try to get me to pay the bill for damages done to the dog? Yes. Did I pay? NO I didn't pay a single cent, because the judge said that the dog was not properly confined to the yard. Does this guy now have to go to the post office to pick up his mail? Yes. It was court ordered that as a result of his vicious dog we did not have to deliver mail to his home.

On other routes, I had encountered big friendly dogs that came charging to greet me, but I knew them, or I was forwarned of them, and I knew the owners that were outside watching their dog on the property. Mike, according to your post, it dosen't sound like your dog was either fenced in, or in your sight. If it was, odds are that this wouldn't have happened.

So was the mailman right ot kick your dog after it was down? Probably not. Was the mailman right to defend himself from a dog he didn't know? yeah he was. So before you go off and try to get this guy fired, find out if he was your regular carrier, or covering for the regular. That usually makes a big difference.

Okay now that I have said what I have from the mailman's point of view, I can step down from my soapbox, and walk away. So just remember, the carrier was most likely protecting himself from a dog he didn't know, and think of how you would have reacted in the same situatuion. A loose dog charging you as you walk up ot a house.

The Dawg...

P.S. also from my experience the breed of the dog doesn't necessarily mean it's always friendly or mean.

wyn1370
07-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Jonno06
when i first read the title it was kinda funny....

then i saw he kicked it in the head,and ur dog didnt even do anything........you should have struck his skull with a blunt end of ur n2tank....
that might scratch the tank, best to go for a bat, lead pipe, or other assorted fun tool

HoppysMag
07-11-2002, 04:36 PM
ya but some times its just a mean mail man... like my old one, a regular, maced a 13 year old cocker spanial through a fence... the dog was fenced in the back yard.

and besides you can tell the diffrence between a charging dog and a running one.. running the eyes are shifting from thing to thing, charging the eyes stay fixed, ofcourse the teath and tail. a wagging tail = happy puppy. tail set back = mad puppy.oh and dogs usualy drop the shoe befor they charge...:D ( iv been chased by many a dog in my day, and one or two coyotes)

dansim
07-11-2002, 04:38 PM
thats all well and good studawwgie but if the dog showed no signs of agresion or attemted to attack he simply is at fault and can be held for cruelty to animals simply because he attacked teh dog now if the dog got kicked and then turned and bit the mailman the mailman would still be at fault for provoking it, its simple just like the geniva convention rules of engagement do not fire unless fired upon

animal
07-11-2002, 04:47 PM
I agree with the sprinkler/local news idea. :) Let him know you're mad with the sprinkler, and blow the cover off with the news, their bleeding heart liberal attitudes are always looking for something to air. Both are tame... and effective, and luckily... Level 10 comes via UPS!! :) :) :)

It may also be time to grab a dog chain and install it in the back yard...

Now I will ask, which I didn't notice anyone else has... Is your dog ok?

pete-is-god17
07-11-2002, 06:09 PM
ok man, when ppl mess with ur pooch, its a great time to let some steam off. a kid threw a rock at my friends dog when we were at the beach. it hit it and it looked as if it was hurt. my friends big, not a wuss, but he doesnt like to fight, so i told him i would hurt the kid for him. i'm not ashamed of this, the kid was probably my age or a lil bit older at the time. (i was like 9 or 10). so i walked over to him, calmly picked up a rock, threw it at him, tackled him and proceeded to hit his head against the sand until some parents got me off of him.

now, would i have done this now, of course not, im too old to be "beating people up", but, i deffinatley would have gotten in the guys face and hoped for a physical confrontation. is my method immature? yes. will he ever kick another dog again? maybe. will he ever kick your dog? no.

Mike72
07-11-2002, 06:10 PM
I agree that he should of never kicked you dog or any animal. But is your front yard fenced?? Was the dog on a rope or leash?? Does he know the dog?? Cause I wouldn't of kicked your dog but if a dog came running across the yard at me waggin tail or not I would be ready to defend my self. My thing is this he was wrong for kicking you dog but if you would of had your dog properly leashed/fenced/chained etc. it would of never happened?? But since it did I would take it up with the SPCA and the post office.

HoppysMag
07-11-2002, 06:16 PM
i agree, mabey in canada its diffrent, but you should really have your dog fenced up, tied up or at least be outside watching him. but if your like me and hav a bad mail man then atleast say something to the postmaster cause mabey he has caused problems with others.:)

InfinatyBPS
07-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Well if the dog was in a fence, and the mailman came in the fence and kicked him, dosen't that he went on your property and kicked your dog? That seems wrong, and what was stopping the mailman from just stepping back out of the fence when he seen the dog?

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 08:22 PM
She wasn't tied up. There's no fence because it's my front yard. But he was on my lawn when he kicked her.

StuDawggie
07-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by MikeCouves
She wasn't tied up. There's no fence because it's my front yard. But he was on my lawn when he kicked her.

Were you present with you dog in the front yard? If so then you have a case with the postal service. If not, then you don't stand a chance in Hades on this one my friend

wingman898
07-11-2002, 09:07 PM
I was initialy furious when I read what that moron did to your dog.....but a lot of people here have a point. If your dog wasn't fenced in the yard, tied up, or at least in your site, there isn't too much that you can be pissed about......ahhhh what am i talkin about......if my dog is friendly(likely, because I only own pit bulls) and someone kicked him repeatedly, I'd punch through his breastplate, extract his spine, and settle down by playing fetch with my dog's new spinal toy. But that's just me. :cool:

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:12 PM
But it was on my property. That's how it is with my animals, we don't need fences or leashes, they wouldn't dare leave the lawn.

Like the new sig image :D.

cris8762
07-11-2002, 09:14 PM
here's a idea, how about next time he delivers the mail u pop out of the bushes and mace HIM! that'll teach him to be more cautious:D ;)

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Well actually I was brewing up a fiendish plan earlier today. I am going to rig up the sprinkler on the lawn that he comes across. When I see he coming, BAM! He won't know what hit him, well, except for the water.

wingman898
07-11-2002, 09:17 PM
That'll probably teach him the inner workings of our countries judicial system....not to be more cautious.....here's a tip for you.....LOOK UP THE LEASH LAWS IN YOUR STATE. That'll probably shed some light onto wether you have grounds to be pissed or not. I'd be pissed no matter what the law said but then again....that's just me. :cool:

wingman898
07-11-2002, 09:18 PM
oh...no.......w..a..t...e.r...........that will surely teach him a thing or two. Go get'em tiger!

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Yeah me too. Man gotta do what a man gotta do, and currently, that is get the mailman wet so his morning is cold and uncomfortable :D.

cris8762
07-11-2002, 09:41 PM
ok...sit in a tree with ur mag and a hopper full of paint (frozen if ur feeling really pissed, but i highly dont recommend this) and light the bastard up the second he touches your property...... wait damn....that would give pb another bad story to allow people like joe liebeerman (sp?) to shut down everything we know and love:rolleyes:

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:56 PM
No I think the sprinkler one is better :).

TigerMan
07-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Yes, yes do my sprinkler suggestion. :D Make him miserable and wet. Then do it again the next day! Make him scared to touch your lawn, make him use the sidewalk or whatever until it gets to the point to where he is running to deliver your mail and then getting the heck out of there, lol. :)

MikeCouves
07-12-2002, 09:33 AM
Well actually he returned this morning and apologized to us. Which was the right thing to do, he said that he has had too many bad experiences with dogs, and he gets nervous when they approach him. So I geuss I won't get him wet, that was nice of him to drop by and say sorry.

Mike72
07-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Did you introduce him to your dog so that he knows she/he is a nice dog?? Just wondering cause maybe if he gets too know your dog it will save her/him from getting maced or something (the dog). Just wondering.

billybob_81067
07-12-2002, 09:31 PM
We live out in the country, our dog runs loose, and he's a great dane. He runs around with a goofy look on his face wagging his tail all day long. He is nice to everyone unless they hurt him or act like they're going to throw something at him. If he's on our lawn (unacceptable) we usually yell at him, but once I pointed my finger really fast while yelling and he started growling at me... but then he ran off and didn't do anything. Anyways, point of me telling this is that he would be very nice to the mailman until he got kicked... then he would have ripped off his testicles and swallowed them whole. (man I love my dog :D)

Under no circumstance would I ever kick a dog until AFTER they bit me at least twice, and even then I'd just probably grab their ear, fold it over and pinch it ;)

Oh yeah... forgot about this, my dog is also very protective of my mom. One time I was playing tag with her and she was running from me and screaming/laughing while I was trying to get her and he came flying out of nowhere growling teeth bared and I was just like WOAH COOL!

billybob_81067
07-12-2002, 10:12 PM
While I'm still thinking about how stupid my dog is... EVERY SINGLE TIME I pee outside and my dog is somewhere within 100 yards, he will come over, smell the piss puddle, and then pee right where I did. Never fails. LOL! And this happens a lot, cause I pee outside probably 10 times a day or more :D (I drink a lot of fluids, therefore I pee a lot of fluids!)

MikeCouves
07-13-2002, 04:39 AM
Well this mailman was a different one then usual so he didn't know that Molly was friendly and had no intent of harming him. So, don't take chances, kick the dog! Kick it three times :mad:.

PaintballSucka
07-13-2002, 10:17 PM
he probably kicked it because it looked like a smart blonde and he had to change that lol,

jk I would have kicked him back

07-14-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by billybob_81067
While I'm still thinking about how stupid my dog is... EVERY SINGLE TIME I pee outside and my dog is somewhere within 100 yards, he will come over, smell the piss puddle, and then pee right where I did. Never fails. LOL! And this happens a lot, cause I pee outside probably 10 times a day or more :D (I drink a lot of fluids, therefore I pee a lot of fluids!)

Waaaayyyy to much info there :eek:

My mailman drives around so we dont have this problem.

StuDawggie
07-14-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by MikeCouves
Well actually he returned this morning and apologized to us. Which was the right thing to do, he said that he has had too many bad experiences with dogs, and he gets nervous when they approach him. So I geuss I won't get him wet, that was nice of him to drop by and say sorry.

Like i said he probably had a bad expeience or two, with an unfamilar dog, so he acted out of "postal instinct" to the situation. I'm glad he appologized, and tried to resolve the issue. Hopefully stuff like this won't happen again, now that he knows your dog.

billybob_81067
07-14-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 845

Waaaayyyy to much info there :eek:

:D:D I Like giving too much info!! :D:D