PDA

View Full Version : Short Stroke.....or not?

MoserMan
07-11-2002, 07:13 PM
sometimes when I rapid fire, my mag seems to 'short stroke' and makes a "psst" noise. A ball doesnt shoot when this happens. Then I go to slowly and firmly pull the trigger to make sure I do not short stroke and it still does this. Anyone know why and how I can fix this?

MikeCouves
07-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Like a pfft down the barrel? Yeah that's short stroking, all the way in, all the way back.

athomas
07-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Bolt stick. Check the length of your bolt spring. If it doesn't stick out past the end of your bolt, then replace it.

rjvemt1
07-12-2002, 03:46 PM
this is what is meant when somebody talks about 'lerning to shoot a mag' what happens is when you are crankin away on the trigger real fast every now and then you dont completely pull the trigger.what this does is release the bolt but the on/off pin doesnt get pushed all the way into the 'off' position. so what you end up with is this,for split second the powertube end of the valve and the on/off end of the valve are both open and this causes a missfire.i am almost completely sure this theory is correct(90%),do you have the stock trigger frame?a double trigger frame may help you avoid this,i bought a hyperframe awile back and i havent had one single short-stroke since then, however the hyperframe is kinda a pricing upgrade but i think its worth every penny(200-250$).

athomas
07-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Short stroking:

The on/off shuts the air off to the front chamber before the sear releases the bolt. Short stroking occurs when you don't fully release the trigger before you pull it again. The effect of short stroking, is that you don't charge the front chamber with air before you shut the on/off valve and release the bolt. The bolt just blurts forward with half a charge behind it causing a burb. The worst case is that you are firing fast and don't allow a ball to chamber before you fire. This can cause a chop as well.

rjvemt1
07-12-2002, 05:34 PM
well, theres my 10%!i thought that the imballance between the bolt spring and the incoming air caused the problem. athomas's theory is that the reg cant fill the chamber because it hasnt been fully opened during a short-stroke.athomas, is this info from tech at agd or is this what you have sumissed from your own thought on the subject(by no means am i saying you are wrong!)?

athomas
07-13-2002, 03:03 PM
This is AGD tech stuff.

The valve is designed to totally shut off the air to the front chamber before the sear releases the bolt. If not, it would leak slightly everytime you fired a shot, especially if you were slow on the trigger.