PDA

View Full Version : shocker and angel bolt forces

nicad
07-12-2002, 01:44 PM
Iv been working a little on building an anti-chop angel setup. (im not going to go into detail of it just yet untill i get some more testing done.)

What I thought was odd is the fact that a shocker's bolt, ~@200psi, has about ~9lbs of force pushing it forward. this has been confirmed with both calculation and real-world testing.
An angels' bolt, ~@87psi has about ~8.5lbs of force pushing it forward (based on calculations only..).

However, I have seen quite a few shockers pinch w/o chopping on the same paint that an angel will blend like no tomorrow (purposful mis-feeding).

Why is this? Im prety sure I know why.. would like input from others tho.

07-12-2002, 02:26 PM
the mass behind the angel bolt(bolt+hammer+link pin+ram parts) is heavier than the mass behind the shocker bolt really just the weight of the bolt. so it is going to take a lot more to stop the angels bolt due to inertia. the inertia is not something u can avoid in the angel's case cause it needs it to pop open the cup seal.

i have 2 ideas for limiting chops, one of em deals with the feed (but requires a slightly longer bolt travel) and one of em deals with a specilaity bolt.