PDA

View Full Version : F/A mechanical blowback: slowing the hammer

rhetor22
07-13-2002, 03:35 PM
Do you guys have any ideas on how to slow down the hammer of a stingray after it has passed the sear? Its well known that blowbacks can quite easily cycle on full auto by removing the sear. If there were a plausable way to slow the hammer down on the return, then we could have blowbacks that could f/a without becoming blenders.

I was thinking of a custom made variable rate spring behind the hammer... it would require lengthening of the hammer tube though.

I will never buy an electro gun simply because i hate trusting electronics, and a mechanical f/a is so complex and requires such engineering skill its worth it to have.

If AGD could make a mechanical F/A retromag... jeez.

Shadow221
07-14-2002, 01:20 AM
take out the sear and gas up your gun. you'll be shooting full-auto VERY fast. only thing is it'll keep shooting until your run out of gas.

Coaster
07-14-2002, 06:25 PM
shadow, he already said he could do that but it would break balls. My suggestion is a bigger/spring that is harder to be blown back in the gun. I don't know if this would work but have the air that comes out of the valve be able to stay the same but that air that blows the hammer back should always stay the same. As to make the heavierbolt /bigger spring to be always blown back at a slower rate without speeding it up.

rhetor22
07-14-2002, 07:26 PM
Coaster:

increasing spring tension on the hammer would also increase its force to open the valve for a longer time. This would increase velocity as well as hammer return rate.

Coaster
07-14-2002, 08:51 PM
most blow backs have a way of lowering that has nothing to deal with the spring or hammer. It is just a screw that obstructs the air's pathway.

Shadow221
07-14-2002, 09:48 PM
I meant with an automag. He meant with a blowback. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. And to do it without breaking paint just set up a warp feed with a lot of power. They can spin up to 70 bps if you give them enough power. A car battery would probably work. The only thing is you'd have insane shoot down.

than205
07-15-2002, 08:55 AM
What about a longer spring with a lighter load?
Or more o-rings on the bolts?
Or larger thicker o-rings?

07-15-2002, 10:27 AM
you should check on tippmann's site, they sell replaicement parts and assemblies for the fa there.

also looking at the tippmann fa and at-85 drawings might give you some ideas.

rhetor22
07-15-2002, 11:40 AM
your ideas are good but we need to slow down the bolt after it passes the sear. maybe an oring inside of the hammer tube would work... hmmm

07-15-2002, 12:34 PM
that is why i am telling you to take a look at the design of the tippmann f/a and the at-85. they are purely mechanical automatic paintball markers. the tippmann f/a uses pneumatics or hydraulics to slow down the bolt. why reinvent the wheel when it has already been invented before.... twice.

rhetor22
07-15-2002, 06:04 PM
i'm not messing with pnuematics and stuff... i think i'll just try making a longer hammer tube of pvc or something.

I'll try it and let you all know.

jwa158
07-16-2002, 12:05 AM
how bout gettin a much lighter spring to have a slower bolt speed and making that pin on the valve more sensitive so you get the same velocity.

rhetor22
07-16-2002, 09:42 PM
essentialy thats making your gun low pressure... The only thing holding back that mushroom valve is the spring and the pressure behind it. You can lighten the spring which probably isn't much compared to the air/co2 pressure behind it.

I'm not sure if this would give you enough time. I'll see if i can ask some people with lower pressure rays... that is if there are people with low pressure rays...

nerobro
07-17-2002, 02:02 AM
Well.. the tippman F/A used what were esentialy r/c car shock absoarbers and two sub sears to hold the bolt back for a given amount of time.

A longer hammer tube would have to be a LOT longer to be effective.

heavier recriprocating parts is a vialable option. A VM-68 will almost feed f/a. A stingray will :-)

rhetor22
07-17-2002, 01:22 PM
its funny i just posted on STING that i thought my oil shocks on my rc car would be great. I only want to lengthen the hammer tube to give me more room.

Thanks, i'm going to try the shocks.

rhetor22
07-17-2002, 07:36 PM
i think i have my answer- a second sear. I'll post later if it works out.