PDA

View Full Version : "Mask Fog" is killing me!

BartManSr
07-14-2002, 09:30 AM
My Raven fog all day and couldn't see anything.
I need a mask that won't fog. If I could get some sugggestions from people who play in hot areas, I'd appreciate it.

I'm from Oklahoma, very hot and humid here.

subbeh
07-14-2002, 09:33 AM
JT Spectras are great. It's heck trying to swap lenses but other than that I love them... and I have heard no problems with fogging.

irbodden
07-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Hmm, I have the Proteus, and it fogs sometimes too. :( I used to have the Diablo Skul thermal, and that badboy never fogged up on me. That was by far my favorite mask of all time..

a_malfunction
07-14-2002, 09:35 AM
My thermal JT flex 7 never fogs. They say that the Vforce line of goggles are also good when it comes to preventing fog. I'd say that you wont go wrong with either.

Me
07-14-2002, 09:35 AM
u need the jt fan, works great

rpm07
07-14-2002, 09:37 AM
I never had any problem with my JT mask I think JT still makes a fan for them it mite work on your mask. If not go to a auto parts store and pick up anti-fog for windshields and try that, thats what I use and it works good. Hope that helps you

rehme
07-14-2002, 09:42 AM
if you want a good mask buy jt because most of the people are saying the never fog up or somtimes i had a flex 7 for about 6 months never fogged up and i live in kansas so my mask went though every condition of weather in one day (a kansas joke)

Paintballer86
07-14-2002, 11:05 AM
I have a Proteus w/ a smoke chrome thermal lens and the vortex fan. I havent had it fog once. One time, when I forgot to put my headband on, the sweat ran onto my lens. But that was fixed the next game, when I put my headband on. You could Ither go Proteus with the fan, or you could get a V-Force. I have heard nothing but good things about them. and the lens's are easy to change in the V-Force's too, un-like the spectra's. So, it it really up to you.

MagMan5446
07-14-2002, 12:42 PM
V-Force. The best damn mask on the market.

Army
07-14-2002, 02:03 PM
...or, use the ancient cure.

Take a bar of soap, and rub a few stripes onto the inside of the lens. Now, with a very soft cloth, or camera lens tissue, rub the soap in until it clears up. Do not try to wipe it off.

If you rub it in like a polish, it will be clear in a few moments. The soap will prevent fogging up.

Another more temporary way, is to take that soft cloth, then spit onto the lens. Wipe the spit around until it's clear and dry. This won't last but a few games at best, but it's better than 'nuttin!

mykroft
07-14-2002, 02:06 PM
V-Force all the way.

Their lens film works about 10x better than the Spectra's and the masks don't fall apart like Spectra's do. Also you get more neck protection with teh V-Force.

Jammin James
07-14-2002, 02:12 PM
i use anti-fog spray. Works great.

Mav D MagMan
07-14-2002, 02:14 PM
I use a JT X-Fire, somewhat old school, three years old *not falling apart!* and since I switched out to the Smoked Lense (tinted black) I have had no fogging problems what so ever for the last two years. Using an actual thermal lense would make it even better.

Oh and I live in wonderful sunny CA, humidity, sun, sweat, and yes even rain!

Mav

mrhooie
07-14-2002, 03:16 PM
do you have the Raven photochromatic lense? There was a problem with these 1st generation lenses and Raven replaced them with thermal lenses at no cost.

pumpamatic
07-14-2002, 06:14 PM
As of now I would have to recommend against Dye Invisions. Comfortable- you bet, best I've tried. fogs?- sometimes. I've been using some cleaner I got from an optometrist and it's not working very well. I get a slight fogging while waiting to play, but it goes away completely right after my move off the break. Maybe I should blame the cleaner, maybe I should blame the lens. Either way, in 85 degrees or higher, it has fogged. BTW- these goggles have watched a good 6 cases fly, and the only times it has fogged was when it was about 90 degrees or better, and only in the on-deck area, never on the field or after games.

Load SM5
07-14-2002, 06:17 PM
I live in Alabama, right now the weather is sunny, broken up by torrential rain showers. Needless to say, this place is steamy like a rain forest. I wear a V-Force Morph and it has'nt thought about fogging up. It's been great while some other guys with JT have had a few problems.

rx2
07-14-2002, 06:31 PM
Where I live, days of 99% humidity are common, and it can get into the 90's on occasion. The standard day of play is usually 85 with around the same amount of humidity.
Having stated that, here is what I have noticed.
My OLD (93) X-Fire with dual lense never fogged at all, even in the rain. However, some other, newer JT lenses that I have seen/used have had fogging problems around the periphery. Not all, but there have been a few.
I have also never witnessed a V-Force fog up in the slightest. Plus, they are nice if you have a big head.

Load SM5
07-14-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by rx2
Plus, they are nice if you have a big head.

Which I do....:D

rx2
07-14-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5

Which I do....:D

We need large cranial capacities to house our large brains!

Load SM5
07-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Indeed.

Aranarth
07-14-2002, 10:20 PM
It always makes me wonder what I am doing right when I hear people tell of fogging on ravens. Mine never fogs at all. Oh well. Best I can say is get the new lens if you have an old one. Though they fixed the problem many months back.
-AranarthX

puckmaster
07-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Get one of the v-force masks. they come apart really easy and they make a cheap model ($25.00)

Pand0ra
07-15-2002, 07:12 AM
Yes V-force masks. 10 times better than the others, especially if you wear glasses like I do. They're cheap, and it takes 10 seconds to remove the lens, instead of 20 minutes and a screwdriver in the hand for the JT spectra masks.

There's only one drawback to the V-force: when it rains, water gets quickly inside the masks.

@++

DarkRipper
07-15-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by rx2
Where I live, days of 99% humidity are common, and it can get into the 90's on occasion.

Isn't 99% humidity basically saying it's raining?

:D

I love my Flex 7s, I use a fan only because I have glasses inserts.

They don't ever fog. I use a sweatband to keep the stinging sweat out of my eyes.

:)
DR

BartManSr
07-15-2002, 08:48 AM
I used to have a Flex 7 before the Raven. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they scratch up too easy.
Oklahoma woods does a job on them.

Linx
07-15-2002, 08:54 AM
Use the force...........Vforce that is. :D

wyn1370
07-15-2002, 09:18 AM
V-force is by far my favorite. I don't even use my old JT ize ever since I got my V-force.

DCB
07-15-2002, 09:53 AM
I have a JT nVader with a fan and Ronin deluxe bag for sale...like new.
I now have a Vforce Armor:D

K-villeplayer
07-15-2002, 11:15 AM
I would say the V-force. I have had a JT spectra for a while and it never fogged, even playing in the middle of the summer after some rain. I just don't like the fact that my fingers hurt everytime I finish taking out my lens to clean it. If they (JT) had an easier way to take out the lens I would stick to them, but unfortunatley they don't.

BartManSr
07-15-2002, 01:43 PM
OK, I just ordered a V-Force Morph (for me) for $68.88 and a Flex 7 (for youngest son) for 49.88 with an extra yellow lens (for my old Flex 7), making sure I'm covered.

Does any body know if you can get a yellow lens for the V-Force and where?

wyn1370
07-15-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BartManSr
OK, I just ordered a V-Force Morph (for me) for $68.88 and a Flex 7 (for youngest son) for 49.88 with an extra yellow lens (for my old Flex 7), making sure I'm covered.

Does any body know if you can get a yellow lens for the V-Force and where?
as always, try don at modifiedpaintball.com
check the dealer forum for him under donggie (or donngie) it has a link to the site and his phone #. You'll probably have to call him for it.

magman007
07-15-2002, 03:47 PM
hey you guys kno you can get the vforce's cheep from don at modified paintball for like 35 bux? i was like dang!

Will Wood
07-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Army..I prefer dish washer fluid. Much better. Ahh...The days of newbie brass eagle mask days.

martlet1
07-15-2002, 03:59 PM
I use the thermal JT flex 7, and basically play in a swamp area. It has only fogged one time, when it was raining hard, and the temp dropped about 20 degrees in an hour. Other than that I love it.

j.t.
07-15-2002, 05:43 PM
I say you try on all the masks and find out which one is most comfortable. The V-force masks are comfy and dont fog but I find that they are too bulky for me.

rx2
07-15-2002, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DarkRipper
[B]

Isn't 99% humidity basically saying it's raining?

:D

A lot of people think we are lying up here when we say it gets that humid, but it does! People in Arizona experience acute myocardial infarctions when they hear that it is even over 80.
The humidity level is a measurement of how much moisture is in the air in comparison to total saturation, or the point at which no more moisture can be held by the air. We have had 100% relative humidity numerous times. It doesn't have to be raining, although it usually happens after it rains.

It makes thigns very miserable, especially at night. Every sheet of paper in your house will get curled up badly, as well. Unless you have AC.

Aranarth
07-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Not all people in arizona. I moved from arizona to south carolina. Didn't mind the humidity. It was rather pleasant, in some ways. I thought it was better being 85* with 90% humidity than being 110*.
-AranarthX

rx2
07-17-2002, 06:36 PM
You are the first person who I have ever heard say that. Most complain that heat and humidity is worse than just a dry heat. Of course, most of the people I know from Arizona are usually older, and find humidity to be hard on their joints.

Aranarth
07-18-2002, 04:30 AM
That could be. It seems like half the population of az is people who moved from somewhere else. 'Natives' are a minority. :)
-ArarnarthX

Tyril
07-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Flex 7 with thermals. Regardless of the facts that I sweat like a pig and live in a very humid part of maryland, even when trying to fog up the lenses I utterly failed. This is coming from an old PMI POS which would routinely fog up so compeltely my world would go blind.

-mike