PDA

View Full Version : WindowsXP pains

AcemanPB
07-15-2002, 01:14 AM
I'm on a crappy laptop right now.....

my dad decided to install windows XP on our "good" computer, of course he decided NOT to back up anything at all, so half way through the set up he gets a fatal system error (stupid microsoft) and then for some reason my dad reinstalled windows 98 and to make a long story short, i lost all my stuff on the computer i still think there is hope but i'm not sure any suggestion or words of comfort considering i might have lost all my music email SCHOOL PAPERS! and alot of other stuff that is very hard to replace

the ironic thing is that windowsXP locked up and the screen read "windowsXP will be faster and more reliable"

i can't remember the exact text on the error message but i will post it tomorow

liigod
07-15-2002, 01:38 AM
yes... reformatting DOES delete everything, never upgrade a windows OS to a "higher one" 2k is the best right now.

AcemanPB
07-15-2002, 01:52 AM
yeah thats what i tried to tell my dad, although everything is not gone he did reinstall windows 98 succesfully and my stuff is on there but the computer is really acting up and not recognizing anything

land hurricane
07-15-2002, 08:51 PM
*cough* linux *cough*.....i guessi cant say much though :D

AcemanPB
07-16-2002, 12:02 AM
I have WindowsXP up and running great, and the best part is when i could finally get back to my computer i could check my email and find out MY LEVEL 10 IS ON THE WAY!! now i'm in the process of updating all the old programs and drivers (i have no sound right now)

Gotenks
07-16-2002, 02:22 AM
and it ************************************************** ***

yes lots of bad stuff where those stars are.

I was surpised how well it ran the first 2-3 weeks, then out of no where, constant problems, and errors, and crashes, and blue screens....

back to windows 2000.

krafty
07-16-2002, 08:25 AM
I've been running XP at home for 9 months... not one single crash. I wish my wireless network was as reliable as my computer, or I'd never have to reboot!

AcemanPB
07-16-2002, 10:04 AM
i got all the drivers and such updated so yes i have sound now and everything else is working perfectly!!! no crashes yet i mean we all know windows is crash proof thats why everyone uses it :D jk

the only problem is my keyboard, the numbers and letters work but not the volume email and other keys like that, it's a gateway keyboard and i went to thier site and couldn't even find any kind of update so i don't know

alkafluence
07-16-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by AcemanPB
yeah thats what i tried to tell my dad, although everything is not gone he did reinstall windows 98 succesfully and my stuff is on there but the computer is really acting up and not recognizing anything

Do you have a cd burner, or another hard drive. In either case burn all your data off or copy it off ASAP. Then just wipe the entire machine and start from scratch.

Someone said it earlier, but I'll repeat- never upgrade, always install clean.

But for a truly superior OS, check out FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org)

AcemanPB
07-16-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by alkafluence

Do you have a cd burner, or another hard drive. In either case burn all your data off or copy it off ASAP. Then just wipe the entire machine and start from scratch.

Someone said it earlier, but I'll repeat- never upgrade, always install clean.

But for a truly superior OS, check out FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org)

thats what i tried to tell my dad, install clean but he insisted that upgrading was "much easier" (a few sleepless nights later) we did eventually get it running, and i got just about all the drivers updated only thing left is the volume button on the keyboard, it doesn't work but besides that it's running great, just took a while to get it there though

oh and he didn't back up my documents!!!! but luckily i backed them up no too long ago so i only lost out on a little bit there still got all my important school papers (thank god)

dave_p
07-16-2002, 07:16 PM
moving to a new or higher version of windows is ok, only if you format and do a clean install. upgrading an existing os is asking for problems. the only time i get a new os(except for my many linux experiments)is when i buy the new computer.
whenever something like this comes up 1/2 say windows blah blah is great and stable
the others say the opposite.
usually, but not always the happy people had the clean install.
the unhappy folks took the upgrade route.
this is just windows.market share does not make something better, thats for sure.im a windows user, as well as a few other operating systems.linux is nice because you can just upgrade or tweak the underlying kernel and the entire rest of your system stays in tact for the most part, unless you reformat of course.
krafty, what wireless components are you using? my wireless portion of my network will hiccup occasionally as well. i guess im not alone. i use all linksys. for the most part i have a fast stable network even from basement to second floor, but once every few months the router will jam.

personman
07-18-2002, 07:36 PM
I have xp, and I used to hate it, but its not so bad now..
I dont get so many errors, I think microsoft worked most of em out.

TRIAD
07-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I used to get a lot of errors, my sound didn't work, etc. but whenever it says send error report i say yes, and then my problems go away, it takes a bit, maybe a few weeks, but i dno why but they all go away. Oh yeah, and I have a scientific atlanta modem that interferes with XP, and i spent literally 12 hours on the phone over three days, then in my frustration i went to windowsXP download manager and downloaded a patch and all was well, and I'm not a computer whiz or anything, just worked it out.:D