PDA

View Full Version : A little car help please

slateman
07-17-2002, 06:45 PM
Every time i stop my car at a light or anytime it idles the temperature guage goes up (the enginf gets warmer). When I get going, it goes down. Shouldn't it be the opposite way?

P.S. this is all assuming that the little needle is actually functioning correctly.

rjvemt1
07-17-2002, 06:54 PM
sounda like your elec. cooling fan is not working(or one of them if you have two).when the engine gets hot the themostat should turn on the elec. fan behind your radiator to help cool it when at a stand still,that is the noise you usually hear when you turn off your car and get out after youve been driving for awile. next time you get home, sit in the driveway for a little while until the engine starts to get hot, then open the hood and see if the fan behind the radiator is turning or not.btw what is the year make and model of your car?

TooDamnSweet
07-17-2002, 07:10 PM
I had a similar problem with my last car. Okay I don't know any mechanical termonology, but my brother is a mechanic. My brother said something about my coolant not being moved around when the car was not in motion. When it was in motion the coolant moved around but the lever thingy wasn't working so when my car was idleing it didn't move the coolant so my engine would overheat. All he did was remove the lever thingy and everything was fine after that. Kinda jimmy rigged it I guess.

slateman
07-17-2002, 07:20 PM
The car is an 1986 Chevy Nova (Which is why I have the comment on the needle working or not)

rjvemt1
07-17-2002, 07:37 PM
tds,you are talking about the thermostat itself. a bad thermostat will prevent the coolant from circulating around the engine block and removing a bad one is a way prevent overheating though not recommended(replacement is preferd).slateman if your car is front wheel drive(engine sits sideways) than you have elec. cooling fans and that is the most likely problem given the symptons.good luck! oh, and tds, tom told me to give you this "LOVE":D

TooDamnSweet
07-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by rjvemt1
tds,you are talking about the thermostat itself. a bad thermostat will prevent the coolant from circulating around the engine block and removing a bad one is a way prevent overheating though not recommended(replacement is preferd).slateman if your car is front wheel drive(engine sits sideways) than you have elec. cooling fans and that is the most likely problem given the symptons.good luck! oh, and tds, tom told me to give you this "LOVE":D

THERMOSTAT!!!! That's it. Thanks, I'm glad someone knew what my mumbo jumbo was about. LOL So my brother jipped me by not replacing it huh..........I'll have to have a talk with my younger brother. LOL
Thanks for the Love......right back atcha!:D

RT-Rockin
07-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by TooDamnSweet

So my brother jipped me by not replacing it huh

Not necessarily. Your thermostat can break one of two ways. It can stick OPEN or stick CLOSED.

If it was stuck closed then your car wouldn't ever be able to cool itself. The water/coolant mixture is stuck inside the engine and can't circulate out creating an overheated condition.

If its stuck open, under normal circumstances it doesn't create a problem until winter. A thermostat stuck open will most likely not allow your heater to get warm in winter months (The water/coolant is constantly circulating never letting the engine warm it up enough so you feel warm air out of your heater vents).

So, using that and looking at your description, I'd say worst case scenario is it is stuck open, just because you say it gets cool again once you get moving.

I'd take a look at the fans as rjvemt1 mentioned. Seems the most likely culprit given the description.

Hope that helps you guys.

Rockin

Aranarth
07-18-2002, 04:57 AM
I have always hated those sideways mounted engines. Give me a forward one, with a serpentine belt off the engine to the fan, and I am happy.
But yeah, sounds like a thermostat problem. Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to replace.
-AranarthX