PDA

View Full Version : What Linux Distro Do You Perfer?

WickeDKlowN
07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
right now im using Mandrake 7.2 on my laptop, and its the only distro ive tried.

subbeh
07-18-2002, 12:18 AM
Mandrake is the best mix of power and user friendliness. I love it... use it on my server.

ThePatriot
07-18-2002, 12:44 AM
I run RedHat 7.2 on one of my 600 mhz celeron machines, i like it a lot, i tried Mandrake but u see.....the comp has a USB mouse and keyboard, and it wouldnt detect both for some odd reason. Anyway, you forgot the BSD's, sure they arent Linux but they couldnt in the *Nix category, and i know a LOT of people on here prefer FreeBSD.

alkafluence
07-18-2002, 09:13 AM
I could ramble on and on about FreeBSD and its stability. But, better than that I'm just going to point you to the homepage (http://www.freebsd.org/)

http://www.freebsd.org/gifs/freebsd_1.gif

WickeDKlowN
07-18-2002, 09:16 AM
whoops, i did for get the BSD's. It was late and i forgot about them.

Xen
07-18-2002, 11:48 AM
FreeBSD or good ole OS X since thats the best OS ever created

Miscue
07-18-2002, 12:40 PM
FreeBSD is what I use.

alkafluence
07-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Xen
FreeBSD or good ole OS X since thats the best OS ever created

You know that OS X is based on a *nix Mach kernel with a FreeBSD userland.

mykroft
07-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Slack, as that's the closest to xBSD you can get, and still be running Linux.

I run FreeBSd & OS X personally, but am an old Slack hand(2.4 era).

lopxtc
07-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Lets not forget OpenBSD :) my personnal fav ... I just love the blowfish *L* ...

Or Irix running on a high-end SGI server :) remember final fantasy: TSW was drawn on both SGI and Linux machines ...

Aaron

obsolete898
07-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Why is Linux a better OS than say XP. I have no experiance with it I was just wondering it's finer points.

ThePatriot
07-18-2002, 05:47 PM
Well, linux is a lot more stable than Windows(i dont know about MAC OS) and it has much more customizablility to it if you know what you are doing. I am sure one of the Linux gods can go in depth regarding the kernel....and how you can make it do whatever you want.

Also, Linux is all open source, so you can do whatever you want to it, a lot of the programs built for it are open source as well.

It also runs servers, very well, and very stable.

I one of the *nix gods out there seems i said something wrong please correct it, im not that good with it yet....just learning some bash scripting and how to use G++.

Xen
07-18-2002, 06:07 PM
OS X is unix and you can go into teh root and it is basicaly a linux system

lopxtc
07-18-2002, 07:46 PM
More correctly OSX is BSD ... it based on BSD/OS

Aaron

Originally posted by Xen
OS X is unix and you can go into teh root and it is basicaly a linux system

Xen
07-18-2002, 08:32 PM
OS X runs on Darwin and darwin is a Unix shell, yes thats built on BSD 4.4 but its stil a unix shell

lopxtc
07-18-2002, 10:21 PM
A shell is just a shell ... its a command interepter for the *nix kernel and filesystem.

Its the filesystem and how it works that pretty much determins the destinction between the *nix's ..

Aaron

mykroft
07-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Darwin is BSD 4.2 with most of 4.4. The kernel is funky, being a BSD Server on a Mach Microkernel, but other than that it's BSD with some funky modifications to the startup scripts, taken from Next/OpenStep.

Still trying to figure out how the startup scripts work, everytime I reboot, I've got to manually restart BIND. (Yeah, my Mac is my Nameserver)

Vegeta
07-21-2002, 03:06 PM
thinking about getting mandrake on an old box my friend has...

not sure on the install n all but hey it's not liek i acn hurt the beast of a machine... its an old 133 or soemthing.. in one of those server-towers.. ahs 4 expansion slots in front and a ton of slots ofor cards n such in back... not sure if hte motherboard supports all the holes or not tho...

I dunno how to get the ISO's tho.. no one I know has cable or DSL... im ok 56k...

And i'd hate to pay for them.. gawd... 40$ for a box, 3 cd's, and support, when you can get all that - the box on the net.

lopxtc
07-21-2002, 06:57 PM
Hell wal-mart is selling p4 2Gigers with 256 Meg Ram ... 40 Gig Hard Disks ... cd-rw ... ethernet and modem, sound and 64 meg video cards (no monitors) for less then $700 .... and they come with Mandrake installed .... gotta love that .

Aaron

ThePatriot
07-21-2002, 07:02 PM
I think Linux is becoming a lot more recognized and used now, after this thread i have had a few people IM me about how to get Linux and such. I showed them the sites, i do however think the people who dontt even know what a partition is, are going to have a hard time installing linux.