PDA

View Full Version : Tippman Flatline Barrels for Mags?

ogre55
07-18-2002, 01:28 PM
I know that have been some threads regarding this in the past but there has never been a concrete answer to the question of whether anyone has any plans to make a Tippman Flatline barrel for mags?

Do they work? Yes, according to Warpig.com. Outside of the guys at AGD, Warpig is the only source of technical info and reviews that I trust because outside of being technical with their technology assessments and reviews they are about as close to nonpartisan in their reviews as I have ever seen. At least IMHO.

Are there any other options to get the same effect? The closest thing for mags is the Z-Body which, while it can increase range by causing the backspin required for the magnus effect, it is rather inconsistent in it's ability to do so.

Finally, can it be done legally? Yes. While Tippman does own the patent, they have made licensed it to at least one company as I have seen, at least for sale, a Cocker with a Flatline barrel.

So, are there any plans for anyone to actually make one? AGD? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

HoppysMag
07-18-2002, 01:33 PM
there are no plans to make a mag flatline... but i like you ferris bueller referance:D

subbeh
07-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Ferris Bueller rocked!

Coaster
07-18-2002, 01:42 PM
i also would really like to see this come to the automag. Or some other device that adds range and keeps accuracy. I don't even think i would consider the z-body because of the crudeness of how it puts backspin on the balls(just has a metal plate that hits the top of the ball). Possibly a bolt that only puts air on the bottom half of the paintball..

MagDog68
07-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Due to the automags extedned body, I doubt it would be possible to make a Flatline for the Mag w/o doing some serious cutting to the body. The bent barrel will not be able to fit into a stock automag body. And you couldnt have the ball travel the two inches to the end of the body and then start ist curve, because it would most likely break on impact with the barrel wall.

If I were you I would look into the cocker threaded Micro Mags and see how the distance from breech to barrel is. That setup may work.

~Fred

ogre55
07-18-2002, 03:27 PM
I didn't figure that it would be possible to just buy a replacement barrel and slip it on. It would have to be a complete rework of the body. However, as we all know, that is not unheard of. Oh well, will wait and see.

Patron God of Pirates
07-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Coaster
i also would really like to see this come to the automag. Or some other device that adds range and keeps accuracy. I don't even think i would consider the z-body because of the crudeness of how it puts backspin on the balls(just has a metal plate that hits the top of the ball). Possibly a bolt that only puts air on the bottom half of the paintball..

Oddly, that is exactly what the Z-Body does. The ball hits the plate which causes the "Hop Up" effect. This places the ball against the top of the large bore barrel. The air then follows the shortest escape rout, under the ball. While I don't think this is what Galactic Systemz had in mind, that is how it works. Friction from the top of the barrel combined with air escaping underneath causes backspin.

I've tested this theory with Toms spray powder technique. When it worked, the powder was only missing from the top of the barrel. The adjustability of the Z-Body seems to control the angle at which the ball "Hops up", thus setting how much contact with the top of the barrel it has.

A very large bore (.697) non ported 10" barrel seems to work best. Porting hurts efficiency and the Z-Body cannot afford to loose much more with that big a barrel.

Disclaimer: This is all based on my very unscientific testing. Done with my Z-Body on my RTP and a .697 bore BOA custom cocker barrel I was borrowing.

kevdupuis
07-18-2002, 04:31 PM
Question? Since the Micro E, SFL, and Extreme use cocker threads, wouldn't the cocker flatline barrel setup work?

wes
07-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by kevdupuis
Question? Since the Micro E, SFL, and Extreme use cocker threads, wouldn't the cocker flatline barrel setup work?

i once saw a micro with a flatline, sent it into like worr or some place and got the threads milled and it fit the flatline. looked sorta funny thoguh

Coaster
07-18-2002, 06:33 PM
anybody know how the flatline is put on the 'Flatline Cocker' is it just a thread adapter or what?

Also, does anybody know where to buy the Lapco Z-barrel(custom made for the z-body)?

obsolete898
07-18-2002, 06:41 PM
The flatline Cocker is a non-removeable barrel. I don't know how they put it on, but it can't be taken off easily.

Mossman
07-18-2002, 06:52 PM
YUP, flatlines are fixed on cockers, and Z-barrels were discontinued so used is your best bet, but I dunno if ive ever seen one myself in the classifieds.

Wheelman
07-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by ogre55
being technical with their technology

Whoa man that was deep:D

ogre55
07-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Coaster: From the pics that I have seen of the Flat-Cocker, it looks like they made a custom body to accomodate the barrel.

Wheelman: Oops.

Brendan
07-18-2002, 09:07 PM
if you want a flatline on your cocker you have to send in your body to have it milled out to accept the flatline adapter that is specifically made for a cocker.

billmi
07-18-2002, 09:51 PM
The flatline Autococker uses a different breech than a regular Autococker and the barrel *is* removeable.

The whole breech block is removeable and you can put in either the Flatline breech and barrel, or the standard breech and barrel, that way if you get a Flatline Autococker you still have barrel options.

Theoretically you could do the same thing with an Aluminum 'mag body.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

spider54
07-18-2002, 10:11 PM
u know anything is possible but y would u want a flatline barel?? they suck they arent accurate, the only good thing about them is that they give u distance. other than that they r pointless

Coaster
07-18-2002, 11:34 PM
when they are installed correcty they are fairly accurate.

Mossman
07-19-2002, 08:44 AM
I made a post about this a while ago, and got some pretty good answers. This was before the extremes and maybe the SFL's mind you, so aluminum bodies werent considered I dont think.

Anyhow, people said that the cocker and tippy flatlines work because the curve starts RIGHT after the bolt, so the ball accelerates up the barrrel rather than accelerating and hitting an odd curve that will most definately break a ball going 300+ FPS. With a mag that is somewhat an option, because the barrel could start curving right after the point where the bolt stops, but that would make it hard to work in for bolt variation, PF left/ PF right/ CF would all need different barrels. and it wouldnt work in the minimag or RT cuz of the shrouds.

Only upside I see is that if the twist lock rails are made well the whole adjustment problem with tippmans could be over, but since all barrels are round we really dont know just how up to standards the twist lock mechs. are, plus they all jiggle a bit

-Sam