PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

Vegeta
07-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Last week my modem got hit with a power surge. It has been going downhill ever since and quit yesterday. I was in total denial, since I had a closing deal with a client coming up and could not contact him and/or finish the work. That would have been ~100$ down the drain.

This has happened 3 times. Lightning/power surges zapping modems. The first time it zapped my 56k/PCI sound card combo, and also zapped a card at a Bell Switching unti down the street. IT took a MONTH to get that all replaced because the stupid phone company couldn't find the line problem.

The 2nd time, just burnt out hte card. I had it repaired by a computer guy because when i tried to do a intall with one of those cheap US Robotics PCI modems it f'ed it up and wouldnt install the drivers.

This time, it happened, and I din't know what to do. My computetr guy was in the hospital for surgery. I had a week to close this deal with a client.
I went to walmart today and got another cheap *** US Robotics PCI 56k card. I tried following the 3-Com instructions that they provided on CD to no use. My HP computer and hte way it recognizes the drivers totally F'ed up the 3-com install. So what did I do?

Installed the drivers manually by burrowing through menus to find out the 're-install drivers' option. It said that it had already installed them... well it hadn't. After a little config-ing...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ok so this cheap 20$ modem isn't as good as my software Aureal modem that got fried but it gets the job done right?

And i went to Wal-Mart and got one of those in-line phone jack surge protectors JUST for the phoneline.
Tho i am connectign at 19,200 BPS instaed of 21,000 BPS like my usual slow speed.

paintbattler
07-18-2002, 09:37 PM
well.im glad to hear that u got it fixed..u need a surge protector for your computer's electricity..it may mess up your whole comp

AngelBoy
07-19-2002, 06:48 PM
I went through 3 modems in 2 weeks due to lightning, and the fact that im not very computer literate.

Mango
07-19-2002, 07:58 PM
One word of advice: APC!!!! Buy an APC surge/battery backup if your compute equipment is so important!!!!!!

I spent $300 on my surge surpressor/line conditioner with battery backup. Best money I ever spent.