PDA

View Full Version : Question about feed tube attachment on SS bodies.

luke
07-20-2002, 08:05 AM
In the past I've seen references made about the joining process of the feed tube to the stainless steel bodies. Is it true that the feed tubes are "silver soldered" on? It doesn't look like an actual weld, such as a Tig or Gas weld.

I'm also wondering what steps are taken to ensure that no warping takes place?

Thanks.......

LawFox32
07-20-2002, 10:05 AM
I don't think its silver solder; b/c SS(silverSolder) leaves a rim of silver around the connection point of the two peices, also it is kinda messy so it wouldn't be good for paintball guns, b/c you have to flux(grease) the connection places and the silver solder turns into a liquid and will flow around, I hope this helps

luke
07-20-2002, 10:46 AM
:) Heres a quote. >>>>>>>>
Apart from this was a small room where every mainbody has its feed-tube soldered on, one-at-a-time. This process involves using a solder that is mostly silver to fit each type of feed tube into place. Airgun maintains a high-level of control over this because if it is done improperly, it can result in the warping of the feed tube or the mainbody.

Here is a link that "vaguely" talks about the process. >>>

Http://www.rumbleme.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=88&mode=thread&order=0

I would really like to understand the process because there is something I want to try.

I'm a fairly competent welder, but this does not look like a weld........ :)

BlackVCG
07-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Yes, they are silver-soldered with 60% silver rod.

It's soldered and then bead blasted and gets a black/chrome coating or goes out with the gray bead blasted finish.

Also, stainless steel can take a lot more heat than something like aluminum before it warps.

luke
07-20-2002, 11:43 AM
BlackVCG,

Do you know the actual process?

Muzikman
07-20-2002, 03:27 PM
All I know about the proccess is it takes this rather young looking guy (late teens early 20's) and sorry can't remember his name, about 10 minutes to do it. While I was standing there he took off a PF tube and put on a Warp Feed tube:) Thats how I got my warp feed body for my RT...

luke
07-22-2002, 09:00 AM
Can someone tell me what the "tubing" in the following picture is for? (The 1/4" tubing pointed at the upper part of the feed tube)

http://www.rumbleme.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Diner_Wrapper&file=index&req=ShowFile&file_wrap=html/agdtour/11.html

cphilip
07-22-2002, 09:37 AM
Hard to say Luke but I would guess its the torch tip bent to let them go all around the bottom of the tube or at least a heat tip to aid heating the surface for the soldering process...if its anything like sweating copper pipe you heat the whole pipe until the solder melts to the touch of the surface of the pipes. Just guessing though.

luke
07-22-2002, 09:52 AM
I wonder if the feed tube could be Mig Welded on with Stainless wire and short tack welds?

manike
07-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by luke
I wonder if the feed tube could be Mig Welded on with Stainless wire and short tack welds?

Yes it can. I had a prototype body that I made before I was in with AGDE that had the feed stub welded on.

Didn't look as slick but worked just fine.

manike

luke
07-23-2002, 07:08 AM
Thanks Manike......