PDA

View Full Version : I'm Building and I'm not Bob Vila. Need Help.

ShooterJM
07-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Have a free standing chest-type freezer. It's cool, and it works well. However, I'ld like it in my house. In order to have this in my house and not looking like crap I plan on building a wooden box to surround the chest. Now, I have no problem building a simple cube. However, I'm not well versed in treating wood. This will often be in contact with beverages, some fairly caustic, so I think I need a pretty heavy duty protectant. Is there a difference between normal stain and lacquer? Should I just tile the thing instead? Anyone?

Havoc_online
07-22-2002, 04:21 PM
I'd say, sand smooth the finished product, stain it to choice, and then put several coats of polyutherane. that will give it a nice finish and water proof it if you take the time to throw enough coats on it. If the coats start coming out uneven, sand it a little to smooth, then redo. I'm no Bob Vila either but my father used to make me build him furniture when I lived with him many years back...Hope this helps.

ShooterJM
07-22-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Havoc_online
I'd say, sand smooth the finished product, stain it to choice, and then put several coats of polyutherane. that will give it a nice finish and water proof it if you take the time to throw enough coats on it. If the coats start coming out uneven, sand it a little to smooth, then redo. I'm no Bob Vila either but my father used to make me build him furniture when I lived with him many years back...Hope this helps.

Yeah, sounds like that'd work. Sweet. This is turning into quite a bit of work just to get a wet bar into my house though. Ah well. I guess it'll be worth it when I just have to lean over to pour a nice frosty brew while watchin a movie. :D Thanks!

cphilip
07-22-2002, 04:46 PM
Do like Bob would...Hire Norm! Bob never did any of the work realy. :D

No realy are you certain just repainting this thing would not be the better option. And cheaper realy. Sand and refinish the existing surface.

I guess powder coating might be outa the question! ;)

ShooterJM
07-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Do like Bob would...Hire Norm! Bob never did any of the work realy. :D

No realy are you certain just repainting this thing would not be the better option. And cheaper realy. Sand and refinish the existing surface.

I guess powder coating might be outa the question! ;)

Yeah I'm considering dipping the wood in a bucket of lacquer and calling it done. Either that or some sort of metal paneling.

Havoc_online
07-22-2002, 06:00 PM
No way! lol, do what I said and it will look like you spent a lot of money on it....fancy smancy, lol...

StuDawggie
07-22-2002, 06:10 PM

I've gotta agree, but rather than several, just 2 coats should really suffice. Also if you're investing the time to make it look good, a little bit more time will really turn this into a nice piece of furniture.

ShooterJM
07-23-2002, 09:47 AM
No way! lol, do what I said and it will look like you spent a lot of money on it....fancy smancy, lol...

Hehe yeah. My lazy side is kicking in. I do need it to look good though. If it's gonna be in there it might as well look good and match the rest of the furniture. Time to go shopping for oak I guess!

wes
07-23-2002, 08:10 PM
and dont forget these-

http://www.insidespaces.com/dictionary/tool-pictures/glasses-safety.JPG

SAFTY GLASSES!

:)

Vegeta
07-23-2002, 10:13 PM
Dude Norm was AWESOME i always loved watching that Old Yankee workshop or whatever on PBS... and they had him on This Old House too that was jsut a sweet *** show...

Another good show was Hometime.. taht was awesome.. yea...

Bob vila was just an idiot who walked around in kahki shorts looking liek a model from The Gap and trying to act liek he knew about construction.

Gijim
07-25-2002, 12:32 AM
As a carpenter myself, Bob is just a saleman with a few knowledgable hints but make him work and hes done for. Norm is awesome and he does things so effortlessly its almost disgusting. I've bored my poor wife watching some of these shows but lots of useful info is good for the home;) The only thing bad about Norm is a lack of personality but oh well, it is his knowledge that counts.

ShooterJM
07-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Yeah the consensus is Bob doesn't know crap. But he was the most recognizable carpenter I could think of......besides Tim Taylor......:D

theraidenproject
07-25-2002, 10:44 PM
I forgot who I heard this from, but apparently, Bob Vila is a real primadonna, and Norm is a nice guy. Anyway, testing a possibile sig, so don't mind me.
btw, what is the sig size limit? I don't remember, so I don't know if I'm over.

speedballbanks
07-26-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by theraidenproject
I forgot who I heard this from, but apparently, Bob Vila is a real primadonna, and Norm is a nice guy. Anyway, testing a possibile sig, so don't mind me.
btw, what is the sig size limit? I don't remember, so I don't know if I'm over.

10-15 the a-team faded out in the 80's and try to keep it real small for dialuper's.

theraidenproject
07-26-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by speedballbanks
10-15 the a-team faded out in the 80's and try to keep it real small for dialuper's.
a.)What does 10-15 mean?
b.) I know, but I think Mr. T is always funny. But wait, it's now on TV Land AND TNN! I think it's making a comeback. Or, it's not, it's just cheap to get the rights to it, or whatever. I don't know how syndication works.
c.) You're right. I'll make it smaller when I get back tonight, I'll just disable it for now.

*edit* - I forgot the obligatory Mr. T joke. "I pity the fool still on dial-up! Only suckas don't have broadband! Drink milk! Stay in school!"

speedballbanks
07-26-2002, 01:50 PM

a.)What does 10-15 mean?
b.) I know, but I think Mr. T is always funny. But wait, it's now on TV Land AND TNN! I think it's making a comeback. Or, it's not, it's just cheap to get the rights to it, or whatever. I don't know how syndication works.
c.) You're right. I'll make it smaller when I get back tonight, I'll just disable it for now.

*edit* - I forgot the obligatory Mr. T joke. "I pity the fool still on dial-up! Only suckas don't have broadband! Drink milk! Stay in school!"

i have broadband but his face is so stupid to look at and 10-15 means the size alloted for a sig pic

xmetal2001
08-01-2002, 07:52 PM
A-Team comes on TVland?, i didn't know it still did, i haven't seen it.

Mr. T is cool

Cristobal
08-02-2002, 10:43 PM

a.)What does 10-15 mean?

As in a picture size of 10-15k is the general rule of thumb

speedballbanks
08-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Cristobal

As in a picture size of 10-15k is the general rule of thumb

i already said that:p !!!!! lol;)

theraidenproject
08-03-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by speedballbanks
Just for the record, I asked because the way speedballbanks' response was phrased, I thought it was an expression, like 411, or something.

speedballbanks
08-03-2002, 12:44 AM

Just for the record, I asked because the way speedballbanks' response was phrased, I thought it was an expression, like 411, or something.

lol no no no i was just saying it.