PDA

View Full Version : NEW CAR!....but i need your help

gizmolax13
07-22-2002, 06:17 PM
today my dad and i went out and got me my first car.
very nice car...'95 neon
love the car...alot of room for my gear and stuff for anything...however...
there were 2 appearance items i wanted to get for it and my dad said NO

first...those darn bubbly hubcaps....i wanna get rims
gunmetal color 5 prong ones or something. just get rid of those.
and second...the car is lavender...i'm a guy and i'll get so much crap about that and he said no about painting it.
paint is already starting to chip and it's scratched some places. but the paint job would cost more then the car and all.

i really like it, but it's purple...

what do i do?!

govnamac
07-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Go to Maaco. 200 for their ambassador paint service.

Why buy a car if you don't like the color?

CameraGuy
07-22-2002, 06:44 PM
I can only help with the purple part: wait until the next time it rains, find a nice mud hole and do a little off roading :D (or a truck to follow on a gravel road). Probably the cheapest way to change the colour of your car, go from lavender to tan in a couple of minutes.

Blennidae
07-22-2002, 06:45 PM
You drive a lavender car...:D

Just kidding, sure you might get some fun poked at you by your friends, heck I don't even know you and I took a shot.

The thing to remember is you are now independently mobile. That is pretty cool on its own.

Don't worry about the rims and such, its a neon, and a lavender one at that. Keep it running well, so its always reliable and save up for a car you do like.

gizmolax13
07-22-2002, 07:08 PM
it runs great
good gas mileage, 30k miles on it
just purple...lol
it already has a few paint chips and scratches so i wouldn't mind it
and yea i saw the maaco 200 thing...but ppl say it sucks and the paint will fall of in a month.

has any1 gotten that....if so how is it? any kind of warranty or anything??

and i know...it's a car so i don't have to walk anymore. but i like having a HALF-DECENT reputation.:p

we'll see
rims i'll probly end up getting maybe. and definately a stereo system (anybody know a good one for cheap??)

ohh....and why buy it if you don't like the color. very cheap, and my dad bought it for me....so i'm not complaining

obsolete898
07-22-2002, 07:12 PM
and i know...it's a car so i don't have to walk anymore. but i like having a HALF-DECENT reputation.

If your reputation is going to be damaged by the color of your car then it really wasn't that good to begin with.

gizmolax13
07-22-2002, 07:19 PM
ok ok ....i exaggerated...but look around at your school....how many guys drive purple cars...and mine in the right light almost looks pinks...

so yea....i'll work on gettin a job and getting money for some kind of paint job if i can somehow change my dad's mind

lopxtc
07-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Hey keep it this colour, and you might get Cap to take a ride with ya :) ...

As for a paint job, the real concern is the clear coat ... I havent heard much about Maaco's paint job though ...

For the radio, invest in a good cd/XM (or Sirius) radio system. If you have the cash, my buddy has one of the high end sony systems that are CD/XM radio units that also play mp3's and can take the Sony memory sticks in addition to CD's. It also displays jpegs on the flip down face.

Aaron

Originally posted by gizmolax13
just purple...lol

obsolete898
07-22-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by gizmolax13
ok ok ....i exaggerated...but look around at your school....how many guys drive purple cars...and mine in the right light almost looks pinks...

so yea....i'll work on gettin a job and getting money for some kind of paint job if i can somehow change my dad's mind

Hey if your parents are paying for it then be happy. A free car is a free car.

govnamac
07-22-2002, 07:48 PM
I've heard with Maaco you will get at least two months before the paint washes off.

Honestly, who cares about the color, and the rims aren't worth it. Put a decent cd player in, and make sure all the speakers work, and save your money for gas.

What would you rather do, sink a bunch of money into it and have it sitting in the driveway cause you have no money for gas, or save your money and be able to actually have some fun with it?

gizmolax13
07-22-2002, 07:55 PM
very true. i'm thinkin of being ghetto and just get better hubcaps for about 15 bucks each. and take care of that
and then see about working a deal on the paint....otherwise i'll live.

Mango
07-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Purple is a great color!!!! If your self-esteem will be hurt due to the color of your car, then you have some issues to address rather than the color of your car. After you leave HS you will realize how rediculous it sounds that you even had that thought. Just enjoy the car, enjoy your time in High School and have fun because before you know it you'll be walking down the isle for graduation.

covadsucks
07-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Keep the car clean, and take off the hubcaps. Polish the black wheels to a shine, and make the stock steelies look decent. Otherwise, it's a mode of transport and last time I checked, girls like purple.

AngelBoy
07-22-2002, 08:19 PM
my brother has a purple Tundra and none of his friends say anything to him, just me and my friends.

spazzed
07-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Another plus to a Neon is they keep you safe if someone happens to rear-end you in a Jeep Wrangler going 45 MPH. It won't be pretty, but you'll be fine. Trust me, both myself & the guy I hit walked away w/out a scratch.

gizmolax13
07-22-2002, 08:47 PM
well it's lavender....still though

i've thought....screw rims...i found some nice cheap hubcaps lol (yea i'm doin it the ghetto way)
$50 bucks shipped for 4 hubcaps that are much better then the bubble ones.

leaving me lots left for a good stereo system. the purple i'll just live with. who cares....i have a car that's getting me places and i don't hafta walk anymore.
if i get a good deal and the money is there maybe later i'll paint it.

Zumina
07-22-2002, 09:49 PM
$50 for hubcaps???? Autozone or any other "reputable" parts house sells em for $20 a set.

Rims are a BIG investment. $500 wheels require $120 [each] tires.

subbeh
07-22-2002, 10:06 PM
If you put a system in it, take your car to the shop and have a mechanic fix the trunk latch up a bit so it doesn't rattle. 95 neons rattle HORRENDOUSLY with subwoofers in the trunk.

Zumina
07-23-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by subbeh
If you put a system in it, take your car to the shop and have a mechanic fix the trunk latch up a bit so it doesn't rattle. 95 neons rattle HORRENDOUSLY with subwoofers in the trunk.

that, and invest in a Dynamat Kit.

Timmee
07-23-2002, 07:21 AM
How about some vinyl decals to make the car more masculine? Cheaper than a paintjob (provided you don't go overboard), and you might be able to cover up the paint chips and scratches with them, protecting the car's body from rust somewhat.

Flip540
07-23-2002, 10:03 AM
if your going to stick with the hubbies, some companie(i forgot which) makes hub caps the look like chrome rims. not sure how they look on the wheel though.

gizmolax13
07-23-2002, 12:40 PM
well no i found some nice hubcaps for 10 each plus shipping.
comes out just under 50 shipped.

thanks for the advice on the rattling. but i won't be putting a sub in the the trunk.
i'm looking for a stereo w/ a very good deck and make sure all my speakers work good.

i'm lookin at this nice sony one (the deck system) for 160

a little over 210 to make it look and sound alot better
purple i don't care much about....oh well it's my car. and think how low my insurance will be... a guy driving a purple neon....

rhetor22
07-23-2002, 02:04 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GO TO MAACO!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard HORROR stories about them...

But what do you expect for $200.

Seriously though, do not go to maaco, it isn't even close to worth it.

Hubs are a much better idea...

I really don't think it matters too much when you're in highschool, everyone has ****ty cars. (except of course in my RICH *** town, where the kids have brand new BMWs and FRIGGIN Boxters...)

Zumina
07-23-2002, 05:08 PM
A Maaco paint job will last about a year. As long as you prep the car yourself (i.e. removing secondary color body cladding and trim) you should be ok.

tazman
07-23-2002, 08:54 PM
If you are in high school and they have an autobody class talk to the teacher and they might paint your car for you if you buy the materials and give them some compensation. When I was In high school I got my car painted that way and It only cost me about $150 to 200 bucks canadian give it a try.

Also watch out for the head gasket on the neon they leak at the right rear corner!

Zumina
07-23-2002, 09:33 PM
I dunno about you, but I wouldn't place my car in the hands of a bunch of punk kids that take autobody because it exposes them to certain "aromas" if you will.

paintbattler
07-23-2002, 11:12 PM
well..i dont giva crap about the color..as long as you gotta ride