PDA

View Full Version : Abercrombie and Fitch?

MagMan5446
07-23-2002, 04:01 PM
aaah! What's up with everybody wearing it? Personally I can't stand it. Maybe it's the name, or the brightly colored clothing, or maybe it's just I can't afford it.

Just something that came up in my head....

TransMan
07-23-2002, 04:04 PM
I dont like it either i like to wear old potato sacks itches a little but pretty warm.

marley618
07-23-2002, 04:28 PM
My high school is like an abrecrombie and fitch catalog. I dont like it either. And the prices people pay for a t-shirt there are crazy.

Zumina
07-23-2002, 05:11 PM
Aberconformity and Fitch

J
07-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Yeah I've seen this too, I don't get it. Just a shirt that says their name, wth it that? I like a spoof of it- AberPimpy and B****....

obsolete898
07-23-2002, 05:31 PM
The reason they are so expensive is the quality of thier products. Thier shorts and jeans last forever. Personally I wear more Gap/AE/JCrew, but I still have some AF. They definately are more expensive then the others, but hey if people pay that much than sell it for that much.

paintbattler
07-23-2002, 08:50 PM
i think the reason is that it is expensive clothing.....

spazzed
07-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Methinks paintbattler hit the proverbial nail on the head. It's all about the image...

einhander619
07-23-2002, 10:12 PM
the best weapon against that kind of crap is to find your own style. If it's brands that are important, there are lots of cool little ones out there you can rock before anybody else...

MrMag
07-23-2002, 10:23 PM
i wear A LOT of gap/ae/af/jcrew/banana all i have to say is that i liek their clothes. right now i have on gap jeans and an a&f shirt.

Jonno06
07-23-2002, 10:41 PM
im punk,and ill stick to my spongebob squarepants shirt thank you...

preps wear that stuff.....

Telefragged
07-23-2002, 10:48 PM
They are nice clothes, and if they have a sale I'll pick around for some shorts or a button down shirt or something if its not ridiculously expensive. I liked Zumina's earlier comment on "Aberconformity" as high school (also mentioned ealier) is an A&F Catalog. Some of the clothes are nice, but outrageously overpriced. They don't seem to be of any higher quality than most of your other stuff, just more expensive :rolleyes:

I don't like to be a walking endorsement and I usually just wear whatever I want to... and I don't look half-bad wearing a shirt that doesn't cost $50. Heck, for the price of a pair of pants in that store, I could have a case of good quality paint with $$$ to spare!

-Jôker-
07-23-2002, 10:59 PM
A&F,AE,Gap,Structure,Tommy,Doc Martens etc etc whats wrong with all of it? the only prob its all expensive (american eagle is usually pretty cheap) or its all prep stuff.... usually worn by the 'popular' crowd get over it ppl clothes are clothes why judge someone cause they wear expensive clothing or wear a t shirt and a pair of baggy pants all the time? i dont like punk stuff but im not saying im tired of it... style is style and you dont have to wear it but let ppl be ;)

Gotenks
07-23-2002, 11:01 PM
They came out with some racist t-shirts, that were exposed to target the "asian crowd" but yet insulted them.

look it up on yahoo or something, you'll find it. They quickly took the line off of store shelves, they saved theirselves, cause i never even saw it on the news.

obsolete898
07-23-2002, 11:24 PM
I were what I like. I personally don't give a crap what it says. I just happen to like "preppy" clothes. I really try not to judge people by what they wear.

What I find funny is that people who dress "non-preppy" tend to judge people more. I've been on both sides of the fence on this and preps seem more accepting. This is at least where I'm from.

In high school I was more goth/headbanger than anything else, so I've seen how both act. When I was dresses like that preps where the bain of our existence, but they could really careless about us. Kind of funny how we always screamed we wanted to accepted as outsiders but only accepted outsiders.

Basically it boils down to this dress however you want and let others do the same.

Flip540
07-23-2002, 11:25 PM
i couldnt help but post this spoof i saw on a t-shirt

grababooty and pinch :D

nic m85
07-24-2002, 12:04 AM
I dont belong to any one group I know people from preps to punks to ghetto dudes to rednecks. I usually just throw on whatever is clean. I have some nice button down and collared crap from the mall and I also have t-shirts from wherever. I'm just lazy and my parents aren't usually willing to spend a ton on clothes.

I remember hearing about their racist shirts. I also love how almost all their shirts deal with sex, drugs, or alcohol and none of the school officials ever seem to say anything.

MajorDamage
07-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Jonno06
im punk,and ill stick to my spongebob squarepants shirt thank you...

preps wear that stuff.....
Yeah I guess you'd say I'm punk, I like my tshirts to not blast a namebrand, but if you do, then cool(altho paintball namebrand stuff shirts are cool, I have a 32degrees shirt). I like band Ts(altho I only have a few), tshirts with funny stuff on them and stuff like that. Right now I'm wearing a walmart tshirt thats red and says in flames "I Rock" lol, I don't usually wear it, cuz I don't like to be boastful lol, but I put this on after work. I am also wearing a pait of Pony pants, I wore them to work today, they are cool pants tho :). They have a pocket specifically for a cell phone! Altho its not in the greatest place lol :). I like to wear stuff that most people don't wear, stuff that stands out. I have a pair of bondage pants, and a pair of bondage pants that dont have tehe straps tho(but have the hooks for them). There really isnt many punk people in my town(ive seen maybe 4 punks in my town...somin like that, and I dont think they live here tho) so people think I'm weird. I am tho lol. I like weird looking things :). I also have a tshirt I got at goodwill that says "Simon Family Reunion 1995" on it lol, its awesome! Its an orange tshirt with these cartoon island people dancin or somin and says "Island Fest" or something on the bottom :) Another family's family reuinion tshirt! It rules! I don't really have any namebrand stuff anymore tho, besides some old old navy shirts from when I was like 12 or 13 that I dont wear anymore. Altho if I liked the shirts I'd wear them, cuz I dont care if they are namebrand if I like it(as long as its not like a weird namebrand lol). I prolly made no sence, but fun shirts are fun :).

ENDO!

Jonno06
07-24-2002, 01:07 AM
lol,yea....

i was looking threw my dresser awhile ago,and found a red tshirt.It says Indians on it,and has some sponsor on the back,i had no ideas who it was...so i just decided to wear it.....

MajorDamage
07-24-2002, 01:10 AM
lol :D Shirts that make NO sense whatsoever are THE stuff! I ALMOST bought an Nsync shirt at Goodwill(its a very funny store to go to, take a friend, you'll crack up laughing! I bought a bowling trophy from 1984 and I scratched off the ladies' name and carved my name in it with a key lol) to where to concerts lol :D. I thought thatd be funny lol :D

ENDO!

Jonno06
07-24-2002, 01:14 AM
goodwill has awesome shirts...so does K-mart...

im gonna go up to Hot Topic soon and get me some more band T's and try and find some good red hair dye....

back on subject...abercrombie(sp) is for cool people..which i am glad not to be:D

MajorDamage
07-24-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Jonno06
goodwill has awesome shirts...so does K-mart...

im gonna go up to Hot Topic soon and get me some more band T's and try and find some good red hair dye....

back on subject...abercrombie(sp) is for cool people..which i am glad not to be:D
LOL! You sound like me! I'm always like "The cool people are those rap guys who always talk about cappin stuff and things...If they are the cool guys, then I am MORE than happy to be a dork!" and so I always tell everyone I'm a dork :). I even have a button that says "dork". I put it on my V-Force Morph, on the rubber part :)

ENDO!

Jonno06
07-24-2002, 01:27 AM
awww..........i wanna dork button:(

hm.....

i really dont know what else to say.....

MULLETRON OWNS!!!!(dont know what im talking about watch the music video called "lipstick and bruises")

DiRTyBuNNy
07-24-2002, 03:57 AM
i irritate my girlfriend with all my paintball shirts...she's always says things like...where'd that one come from?..and i'm like..uh..i've had this one for a long time..I even wore paintball shirts while i was in Germany...hehehehe...I still like the JT one where you're looking down the barrel..I thought customs was gonna kill me in Amsterdam for that one..you know how Europeans are so twitchy about guns...

Hemlock86
07-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Bah! Screw A&F! Half their cloths is torn when you buy it and its twice the price as AE. Its just a store for preppy gaylords who want to feel special by spending $30 on a ripped t-shirt with a logo print on it, mean while they aint got a pot to piss in Or Mom and Daddy want their kids to be the cool ones at school.

I'll stick to my comfy Pac. Sun and AE. Thx!

Muhahahahhahaha

Peace
Ed

Jonno06
07-24-2002, 10:45 AM
lol..preppy gaylord...lol

gaylord focker...hahaha...thats a great movie...

ill stick to my um...whatever is comfortable..name brand or not.

freek133
07-24-2002, 12:39 PM
I dont know if it is just because of summer, but I dont like clothes any more (like t-shirts and pants, or socks, and shoes) I like a pair of boxers, and my robe. Robes are where its at, and I think everybody should have one.

Telefragged
07-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Freek knows where its at... I haven't been wearing much except my lacrosse shorts and a generic T-Shirt this summer... and I agree with the general theme of "Who cares? Let people wear what they want to..."

obsolete898
07-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Hemlock86
Bah! Screw A&F! Half their cloths is torn when you buy it and its twice the price as AE. Its just a store for preppy gaylords who want to feel special by spending $30 on a ripped t-shirt with a logo print on it, mean while they aint got a pot to piss in Or Mom and Daddy want their kids to be the cool ones at school.

I'll stick to my comfy Pac. Sun and AE. Thx!

Muhahahahhahaha

Peace
Ed

You know what's funny, AE is just a AF rip off. Really they have almost the exact same style stuff but cheaper. Hey ed, AE is preppy too, you gaylord.

That's why I wear AE more, cheaper and I used to work there so I got the 50% discount.

TRIAD
07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
AF stuff is crappy and terribly made. I used to buy a lot of clothes there, but I washed a sweater once and it ripped (yes, it was on a "hand washables" type of load), their stuff is crap. Basically I only buy AE stuff, cuz it's good quality. DOCS are amazing quality, i've had mine for two years or so, they last forever.

obsolete898
07-24-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by TRIAD
AF stuff is crappy and terribly made.

Don't buy AF out of some guys trunk and that won't happen:p.

irbodden
07-24-2002, 05:49 PM
I wear any nice jeans, last year I had a couple pairs of Hilfiger. And I usually wear some weird shirts... Skate brands (Inline), Screw- Virgin Megastore and lots of gap. Gap shirts are like $9 if you buy them now and they shots are $11.. VERY cheap..

obsolete898
07-24-2002, 06:02 PM
The Gap sale rack rocks. I love that thing, I got a pair of kahki cargo pants and a sweater for like $25. Same thing at AE.

TRIAD
07-24-2002, 07:18 PM
Don't buy AF out of some guys trunk and that won't happen.

:p I hope you weren't serious, but their stuff is kinda crappy, it does rip, it was a sweater that wasn't even washed before, I know how to wash stuff, now don't make fun of me, but I do all my own wash, i know what i'm doing. I've washed Banana Republic sweaters that are even more likely to rip and they don't, if it says machine washable, it should be machine washable. And yes, i put it in by itself on knits only gentle on a Maytag Neptune washer. And AIR dried it.

Jonno06
07-24-2002, 07:22 PM
right now im wearing black quiksilver pants(15bux at tj maxx) and a blue shirt that says "security" on it,which I got at Family Dollar,over in Jupiter,FL a few monthes ago,it has some bleach stains on it,but its comfortable.

obsolete898
07-24-2002, 07:31 PM
Your the first person I've ever met that said they have bad quality. Everyone I know (including me) thinks it's great stuff and alot better than the other "prep" stores(in terms of quality). You may have got a bad sweater or something,

AF is pretty well known for thier quality. Most of thier clothes are made with heavier material, they also use alot of anti-rip fabric (kinda like summer weight BDU's). Also most of thier thread is nylon mix/ and is tripple stiched. They make quality stuff. Like I said you peobally got a "lemon".

Sorry if that sounded like a commercial but my dad owns a leather factory and I worked there most of my life. So all the stiching and fabric talk comes from having worked there,

AngelBoy
07-24-2002, 08:21 PM
The "preps" at my school dont really single out any groups. Nobody really judges anybody on their clothes. A lot of the time you will see somebody walk in one day wearing A&F, and the next day they might have a band shirt on. Its just whatevers comfortable, and I wish everybody else would realize that.

TRIAD
07-25-2002, 12:14 AM
Look dude, ask a WOMAN, they'll tell you, it's pretty crappy. Take a poll. Besides, AF stuff is already washed like 100 times so when you wash it for the "first" time it rips.

ShooterJM
07-25-2002, 10:17 AM
I'm not a fan of AF. Actually I have never bought anything from them at all. I admit to going through a structure phase for awhile, but I'm over it. For normal clothes: any dept store will do. For nice stuff: Lord & Taylor, Battaglia, Brooks Bros, Nordstroms, etc. Always cheaper in the long run to buy quality. Especially shoes.

-Jôker-
07-25-2002, 10:45 AM
ive seen shirts that were accidently torn inside of AF but i have to knit shirts from there which have held up great i had a pair of OLD jeans that i recently made into shorts which they have lasted well over a year so like obsolete said i think you just got a 'lemon' did you take the shirt back??

TRIAD
07-25-2002, 07:20 PM
No, it was a christmas present not last christmas but the on before that, it happened a while ago. I had had it for like a year or so, but didn't wear it much cause i had a lot of other sweaters. And even so, I don't keep receipts that long.

-Jôker-
07-25-2002, 09:17 PM
well sounds like just bad luck in my opnion could happened to any of the sweaters? ;)

MajorDamage
07-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by -Jôker-
ive seen shirts that were accidently torn inside of AF but i have to knit shirts from there which have held up great i had a pair of OLD jeans that i recently made into shorts which they have lasted well over a year so like obsolete said i think you just got a 'lemon' did you take the shirt back??
A YEAR? Dude, thats till new compared to all my jeans lol! My newest pair of blue jeans are are from 2000! I'm still wearing jeans from like 1998! lol! My Jnco jeans from 2000 are no longer black, but grey tho lol. And I have a ton of Paco brand jeans(some brand that Goody's sells) that are from like 1998 lol, I still wear them like all the time, they are kinda faded, but holdin up :). I do have some newer black pants, and a pair of black jeans, but I don't have a ton of pants lol :)

ENDO!

-Jôker-
07-25-2002, 10:41 PM
well im still growing and throw out the old so hush! my clothes from 6th grade i could still wear if i like clothe 300 sizes to small ;)

Zumina
07-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Basically, if you could afford it, you'd buy it.

07-26-2002, 08:31 AM
doc martains shouldn't be bashed, i just retired my pair of 8 eye boots after 3.5 years. started wearing the bottoms through, but they felt soo good....

as far as t shirt's go, vendor's/companies give out a lot of them (not prep, more of a nerd thing). www.tshirthell.com has some intresting ones, especially in their offensive tshirt of the month section ;). i also pick up a fiew every year at anime conventions and such.

"aww a grey tshirt, this means that you can throw away 2 of your black ones"- my mom , i just looked at her funny.

MajorDamage
07-26-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Zumina
Basically, if you could afford it, you'd buy it.
lol, Well I could buy it, and I wouldn't buy it. Why pay like $30 for a plain yellow tshirt that sports a namebrand logo when I can get two really cool tshirts from hottopic or somewhere? I mean if you wanna pay that much for a yellow tshirt, then fine :). I just know if I wanted a plain yellow tshirt I'd go to wal-mart :)lol. And also youre paying that much to be that companys billboard. I dont wanna be a Abercrombie and Fitch(SP? too lazy to make sure I spelled that right) billboard. I WILL be a billboard for a cool band or something tho :). But not everyone wants to be like everyone else :)

ENDO!

obsolete898
07-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by MajorDamage
But not everyone wants to be like everyone else :)

Sorry to break the news to you, but there are just as many people that look like you out there.

Sorry but it's pretty damn impossible to be original now-a-days. Whatever we do, or are doing has probally been done or someone else is doing it right now.

The way you dress is fine, I don't have a problem with how anyone dresses(accept for cross dressers), but don't try to think your original or differant for doing it. You're about as diferant as the rest of the millions of Hot Topic's customer base.

MajorDamage
07-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by obsolete898

Sorry to break the news to you, but there are just as many people that look like you out there.

Sorry but it's pretty damn impossible to be original now-a-days. Whatever we do, or are doing has probally been done or someone else is doing it right now.

The way you dress is fine, I don't have a problem with how anyone dresses(accept for cross dressers), but don't try to think your original or differant for doing it. You're about as diferant as the rest of the millions of Hot Topic's customer base.
What im saying is the majority of kids now adays are preps or ghetto. In my town there is like one punk, me. The only reason I dress how I do is because I like it. I'm not trying to be like anyone else. I am just being me.

ENDO!

Thordic
07-26-2002, 02:26 PM
I have a few comments here...

First off, this quality arguement is BS. A&F may be a little overpriced, but you are paying for quality. A tshirt is NOT tshirt is NOT a tshirt. A $7 walmart tshirt is NOT the same as a $20 A&F tshirt. There can be an immense difference in fabric, which leads to quality and comfort.

A&F makes some nice stuff, but I do have one gripe with them. ALL their stuff is sized for "medium" sized people. I can't wear any of their clothes. Their sweaters hug my neck so tight it feels like someone is choking me. Their shirts are too short, same with pants, etc. And thats IF you can find something in your size, it seems every pair of pants in that store is 32. When you wear a 38-40 you are screwed. It's not even like I'm some 300 pound butterball either, I'm just not some 5'7" scrawny dude. 6'2" 230 shouldn't be too big for normal stores.

But, now is when I can list the stores I DO like. American Eagle and Structure, in that order. American Eagle makes awesome clothes. Half the stuff in my closet is from AE. They are REALLY comfortable, and very durable. I have a pair of cargo shorts I wear all the time that are in great shape.

As for cost, you shop the sales and you can get clothes cheap anywhere. I got three pairs of khakis at Structure for $30 once. You can't beat that anywhere. I don't care if you can find better deals at Walmart or whatever store you want to say is cheaper, the clothes there won't be as good quality and they won't be as comfortable.

If you want to buy cheap clothes that are going to fall apart though, by all means, go ahead.

obsolete898
07-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by MajorDamage
The only reason I dress how I do is because I like it. I'm not trying to be like anyone else. I am just being me.

ENDO!

Same with most people, just because I dress prep doesn't mean I'm trying to be anyone.

Thordic speaks the truth.

Me and wingman pretty much only where AE (50% off is great). Some of AF is a little to prep for me. AE is a litle more laid back.

MajorDamage
07-26-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by obsolete898

Same with most people, just because I dress prep doesn't mean I'm trying to be anyone.

Be what you are, don't be what youre not! :D I just hate when people DO dress like that to be like other peoples.

ENDO!

wingman898
07-26-2002, 05:08 PM
I just hate when people DO dress like that to be like other peoples.

Sorry to break this to you, but I have been watching this arguement for some time now. To all the people that think A&F is cheaply made, you need to go get your head examined. Go to structure/AE and buy some shorts then go to AF...then compare the thickness of the material.

MajorDamage...seems to me like you dress the way that you do simply NOT to be like other people. this is just as bad as dressing to be like other people. It is no different. Dress the way you want/like/feel comfortable in and stop arguing...why do you care how other people dress in the first place? Sounds to me like you pay more attention to dress here than anyone else does.

And Hemlock...I'll kill you.....how could you possibly talk trash about AF when you like all of my clothes and wear AE. I believe Obsolete said it best when he stated that AE is just a AF ripoff. POSER. :eek:

MajorDamage
07-26-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by wingman898

Sorry to break this to you, but I have been watching this arguement for some time now. To all the people that think A&F is cheaply made, you need to go get your head examined. Go to structure/AE and buy some shorts then go to AF...then compare the thickness of the material.

MajorDamage...seems to me like you dress the way that you do simply NOT to be like other people. this is just as bad as dressing to be like other people. It is no different. Dress the way you want/like/feel comfortable in and stop arguing...why do you care how other people dress in the first place? Sounds to me like you pay more attention to dress here than anyone else does.

And Hemlock...I'll kill you.....how could you possibly talk trash about AF when you like all of my clothes and wear AE. I believe Obsolete said it best when he stated that AE is just a AF ripoff. POSER. :eek:

lol, No I just like what I like, sorry to burst your bubble lol :).

ENDO!

TRIAD
07-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Hmmm.....

Well, umm, not sure what to say, this is thread has been running in circles quite a while, well, AF is cool, my parents don't like me buying stuff there cause of their nude ads (my mom is a marketing professor and knows all about their stuff), about 9/10ths of the stuff i buy is AE, cause i like it, sure AF stuff has "thicker" material, but who cares, I really like AF stuff, but AE is more me. And structure is cool, don't have anything from there right now, and Banana Rep. is sweet too, only have one thing there, kinda expensive, and there is no Structure around here.

-Jôker-
07-28-2002, 11:39 PM
im tired of all the labels ppl get for dressing a certain way.... just because someone is a 'prep' or a 'goth' or a 'insert label here' doesnt mean they are any better or worse than the next guy i like 'prep' clothes because i like casual clothes and i think they are good quality if i see a shirt i like in lets say sears if its a nice lookinm shirt ill buy it who cares if it looks good it looks good.