PDA

View Full Version : Can You Revert Back To FAT32 From NTFS?

WickeDKlowN
07-25-2002, 03:33 PM
when i installed XP, i went to NTFS. And ever since i went to XP my computer has been REALLY slow, especially starting up. So I was thinking of going back to 98SE or ME but someone said i cant because i went to NTFS. Is this true, or can i revert back to FAT32 if i want to put 98 on

Zumina
07-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Delete the primary dos partition and make the new one FAT32.

UTLadiesMan
07-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Zumina
Delete the primary dos partition and make the new one FAT32.

You need to do that from XP or NT. If you go back and use the old fdisk, it won't let you unpartition an NTFS.

spazzed
07-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Once you goto NTFS, you're stuck w/ it barring a reformat.

S14-Racer
07-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Did you do a fresh (reformat first) ntfs install of XP or did you convert your fat32 drive and files over to ntfs for the install. If you converted them I know how you feel the conversion makes it unbearable. But if you did a fresh install of XP using ntfs I cant relate. I did the install on a fat32 drive then wanted to try the security of ntfs, as I had NT4 server training and really liked it, so I just converted all of my partitions over. Put it this way it was hell. It made my rig super slow and to make it worse I was 3 weeks from finishing the semester and it ate all my final projects and spit them out corrupted dso I had to do them all over.

After the clean reformat in ntfs and install of XP it has been very nice. Well, except for it tossing the system hive out 2 times due to overclocking, and me not having made a back up, but oh well.

WickeDKlowN
07-26-2002, 08:33 PM
at first, i did a upgrade from ME to XP and kept the drive at FAT32 but then i decided to do a clean install and reformat and used NTFS because i had a 70 gig drive. and over time it just got slower and slower. at first my computer would boot up in a few secs then it started to take longer, and now it literally takes a few minutes to get to the logon screen.

Restola
07-26-2002, 09:51 PM
NTFS problems are new to me. What are the symptoms? I dont think I have any problems.