PDA

View Full Version : Mags, Cockers, Barrels and such

bigsarge72
07-27-2002, 03:07 PM
I posted this as part of another thread, but it deserves it's own space, so here it is:
Ok, to address a couple of issues:
1)Open bolt vs closed bolt: Go to Warpig and read the article, both shoot identical.
2)Barrel Length: I have read a lot of articles on barrel length, and a longer barrel can actually hurt your distance (friction), AND, the effective length of the barrel is only up to the point where the holes in the barrel begin (if you don't believe me, ask Tom). Most people shoot better with longer barrels, because it is easier to aim a longer barrel.
3)When I had my first mag, I stood side-by-side with my buddy and his cocker, and we were shooting the exact same distance. In fact, when we were playing against each other, I even got the advantage on him a couple times. I only had a 12"stainless steel barrel too.

Just some things to think about.

By the way, I love cockers, but I have always loved mags too, and when someone says "Should I get a cocker or mag" I tell them the truth...It's all a matter of personal preference, try before you buy.
(I also tell them if they can't leave their gun alone when it is working, get a mag, cause you will screw up a cocker and a mag is pretty much retard proof ;-) )

sarge

bigsarge72
07-27-2002, 03:37 PM
I was reading through some older posts and found this from Tom (the original arcticle was '99). Just some support for the above:
(In reference to holes in barrels)
What the holes actually do is release the pressure behind the ball, causing it to stop accelerating. They also make the gun quieter. That is all they do.

Airgun Designs used computers to measure the acceleration and power pulse behind paintballs as they travel down the barrel. What they found is that in most paintball guns the ball accelerates in the FIRST 8-10 INCHES OF THE BARREL ONLY. This means that if a barrel is any longer than say 12", it is only slowing the ball down in the barrel. Barrels that are drilled usually only have about 6" of solid barrel. This means their EFFECTIVE LENGTH is only six inches. Shorter barrels have less distance to accelerate in, so the ball sees more force to go 300fps. Once the ball goes past the holes, the air pressure behind the ball is GONE. The ball immediately stops accelerating.

This is why Lapco and Javelin barrels are so consistent. 11-12" long and no holes until the end.

sarge

AcemanPB
07-27-2002, 04:27 PM
yeah i still don't get how people can argue with those facts either. it's like telling me the world is flat and is in the center of the universe...

PBpunk
07-27-2002, 06:44 PM
hey i agree completely except for the thing about tinkering with cockers will screw them up. i have two and a least one is always in peices on my floor. as long as you take the time to find out how everything works and be careful and use the right tools you can have a lot of fun with tinkering with them, i do.

p.s. if i could start over with paintball i would go with a mag w/ level 10 just cause they sound so dang cool and man am i tired of chopping