PDA

View Full Version : confessions of an automag squid

Bored383
07-27-2002, 06:47 PM
Though I have been playing paintball since 1987 I never paid much attention to automags. I'd borrowed them from friends before and used them, and while I had fun I just never felt like getting one.

Then I started reading about the Level 10 bolt and decided the day had come . . . so I watched ebay for a bit and then bought a nice R/T valved hopper left powerfeed automag. I barely fiddled with it at all (and never played a game with it) before I got the Level 10 bolt kit.

So there I was, diving in with both feet. I installed the level 10 bolt and fiddled with it, and then I futzed with it, and then I tinkered with it. While I was impressed with how the bolt works I was still not 100% satisfied with the paintgun overall. Something wasn't quite right.

And then while working on fine tuning the level 10 setup I became increasingly frustrated with the valve not wanting to come out of the body of the automag. The Level 10 bolt had stopped firing also. I was annoyed. So I took my automag entirely apart. It seems the poppet that resets the trigger was getting stuck down. Or so I thought. I fiddled with it some to no avail and then I purchased a clue. I noticed the rod that resets the trigger is adjustable for length.

So I adjusted it a bit.

Put the paintgun back together, configured the Level 10 with the 1 size smaller carrier (the quick start setup on my mag had a carrier leak), air'd it up and Voila! It works like a champ now!

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll see how the setup works in play. In testing out back it has devoured a case of el cheapo recball paint without a hiccup. The limited firing I did with it before the Level 10 it was munching on marbalizer . . . nice to see such noticeable gains from such a relatively inexpensive mod.

In closing I'd like to say I will avoid posting stupid questions around here. I just wanted to share my experiences with what is, to me at least, a 'new' paintgun. This one is a keeper in the collection

;)

Mav D MagMan
07-27-2002, 06:57 PM
Well welcome to AO, and although you have been playing paintball longer than I have been walking, enjoy your new "toy" (*Warning* Automags are not toys). Stick around and share your wealth of knowledge, I'd love to learn from your long time experience in the game.

Mav

HoppysMag
07-27-2002, 07:24 PM
I will avoid posting stupid questions around here.

no by all mean post what you please... :D all i ever post is stupid stuff...

hope you have fun with you Level 10 RT Automag... make sure to show us some pics if you can...

TransMan
07-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Ok heres a quick bit of info that i think may help ya out before trying to take the valve out pull the trigger to make sure that the on/off pin is pushed all the way in.

07-27-2002, 07:35 PM
PICS PICS PICS :D

Bored383
07-27-2002, 07:45 PM
A picture

http://www.bored383.com/paintball/automag/lvlten9.jpg

and a link - words to be added sometime soon

http://www.bored383.com/pages/paint/levelten.htm

;)

TransMan
07-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Nice so what did you give for it if you dont mind me askin?

Lone Gunman
07-27-2002, 08:00 PM
Messing with your trigger rod I do not recommend. Doing so almost always results in a disaster. I suggest that you find the proper rod length in the manual and set it back to that, otherwise your gun will start malfunctioning in the future. Instead, post your problems in the Tech forum in the LVL 10 problem thread.

Sorry to nag (I feel myself getting old already). Welcome to AO and I hope you have many good memories with your LVL 10ed RT.

Oh yeah (more nagging;)), seeing as you only have 1 post, you should post in the LVL 10 Results from the field thread with your experiances of LVL 10 as to further increase the successfulness of the beta testing.

a_malfunction
07-27-2002, 09:13 PM
The proper length is 1.985"

As long as, when the gun is gassed up, there is a small gap (at least 1/16") between the trigger rod and the trigger, you're fine.

netjunk1e
07-28-2002, 12:01 AM
Well the only problem with the stock rod legnth is that he has a aftermarket trigger. The require that the rod ti be longer. I have the same problem. I really need a intelli frame!

shartley
07-28-2002, 05:52 AM
Welcome to AO! And have fun with your new marker. :D

Coaster
07-28-2002, 09:15 AM
Welcome!

On a side note, i also live in baltimore and was wondering where you play?