PDA

View Full Version : soap on masks?

Me
08-03-2002, 06:30 PM
is putting soap on the masks lenses bad?
i just did it, not really thinking, and it works great.
i did it becuase when i was changing my lense i got a lot of finger prints on it, and i knew soap "kills" grese.
so will it hurt the mask's lense?
thanks

Arturus
08-03-2002, 07:03 PM
Not sure on this, but you might want to avoid putting soap on to the inside of your lense. It might damage the anti-fog 'film'(whatever you'd like to call it).

Keep the post up, and I'm sure someone who knows for sure can respond to it.

BajaBoy
08-03-2002, 07:03 PM
if its thermal then u could maybe dry out the foam and it would let the moistur in. and fog (cant spell sorry;) )

steveg
08-03-2002, 07:46 PM
I've been cleaning my JT with irovy dish soap and warm water for about 3 years now.
it doesn't seem to harm anything. besided I've replaced the lense from too many
hits or scratches a couple of times now.
never a problem with fogging

Me
08-03-2002, 07:53 PM
all right. cool
i just put a little hand soap on the mask and rubbed it in, and it did wonders. lol

rehme
08-03-2002, 10:30 PM
i put alchola(sp) water on my flex 7 it works great some people say it is bad but i have been using it for about 6 months now and it has not hurt in any at least i think lol

TRIAD
08-03-2002, 10:41 PM
Read the instructions that came with your mask. They say nothing but water and a cloth rag. It is important to treat your mask properly, as it protects your eyes. That, and nothing else is needed, just a nice damp, clean cloth, to clean a goggle well.

p8ntballa
08-04-2002, 08:18 AM
i put alchola(sp) water on my flex 7 it works great some people say it is bad but i have been using it for about 6 months now and it has not hurt in any at least i think lol

You should only put water on your lense. Anything else like alcohol will weaken your lense and cause it to crack. Im not sure about soap, but it doesnt seem too healthy. You should also replace your lenses every year because the sun will weaken them too.

Wheelman
08-04-2002, 10:06 AM
one word

"Plexus"

Best stuf in the world right there

Aranarth
08-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Well, I know that if you put a thin coat of shampoo, or soap on, let it dry, then polish it off till its trasnparent, it works as a really nice anti-fog for the day. Doesn't hurt the lens at all. Either that, or get a lens that doesn't fog.
-AranarthX

rehme
08-05-2002, 10:00 AM
the alcohol watter i put in is really watered down like 85% water and like 15% alcohol so it is really wont hurt it but it really cleans it well

TRIAD
08-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Look guys, it may clean it well, but it's bad for the lens. All lenses come with a guide that states that only water should be used to clean the lens, and it should only be cleaned with a cotton cloth, as other materials can cratch the lens. Other substances will harm the lense. It's PLASTIC, guys, PLASTIC, not glass like a car, but plastic. Sure, very good plastic, but still plastic. Therefore, many substances will have a reaction with plastic and weaken it. If you have used other substances besides water on your lense, you should replace the lense and ONLY use water. We don't need eye injuries in paintball, we have enough bad publicity, so just use water or Paintball-Approved cleaners. Besides, you only need water, it's not like the paint isn't water soluble, you just need to have a fair amount or the paint will just smear. I will get a quote from my JT user's guide when I have a chance.

steveg
08-05-2002, 09:46 PM
TRIAD I do know that jt says use water only. BUT I have
been a eye glasses wearer for 25 years and have always
used either dish soap or shampoo to clean my WAY more
expensive glasses. infact the bottle of cleaner that my
optician gave me smells a lot like alcohol.

JT uses polycarbonate to make their lenses as are the lenses in my glasses.

a quick google search shows that soapy water,naptha,varsol!,acetone!!,
gasoline!!!, and alcohol are all acceptably cleaners
I think I will stick with soapy water though.

I found no suggestion that any of the above would harm
polycarbonate.

I always have and will coutinue to use Ivory dish detergent and water.

TRIAD
08-05-2002, 09:59 PM
OKIE DOKIE

Rynoboy06
08-05-2002, 11:53 PM
Even if it won't weaken the polycarbonate, cleaning solutions will take off the anti-fog. And the anti-fog is key. Water works fine, take your time and do it right.

steveg
08-06-2002, 05:31 AM
there's no antifog on the outside of the lense were the
all the paint hits.

It's been a while, but if you look at the jt lense brochure
I think that you will find that it's the much softer and
easy to scratch inner lense on the thermals that jt is most
worried about.

P4ULuk
08-06-2002, 07:01 AM
What about JT Majik spray??? thats not just water is it?

Paul.
:D

rikkter
08-06-2002, 07:28 AM
i use the jt anti fog spray to clean my lens..it works really good. so. plus they do very little to help so. oh well 2 things in 1

TRIAD
08-06-2002, 08:21 AM
I said you should use water or something made to clean the polycarbonate lense. Those are what are recommended. If you could use other substances they would tell you.

Wheelman
08-06-2002, 10:11 AM
a quick google search shows that soapy water,naptha,varsol!,acetone!!,
gasoline!!!, and alcohol are all acceptably cleaners

If you put acetone on any type of plastic lens don't plan on using it ever again, It will cloud it and in some cases melt it.

DaFlip
08-06-2002, 11:13 AM
You wanna know why they say only water or use JT products to clean lenses? Well see water doesnt do that well of a job so you get pissed and that makes you buy the special cleaner. Wow JT just made 3 bucks off of you by putting soap in a bottle which you could do your self for a fraction of that. Amazing what companies do to make money:rolleyes:

DaFlip

PS:This is a theory, I will do a lense test to see IF soap, alcohol, etc will actually hurt/weaken lenses one of these days....