PDA

View Full Version : silly loctite question

wes
08-04-2002, 12:15 PM
How would i got about removing red locktight from mah hose? i need to get a longer one but i dont want to buy another elbow/quick disconnect... do i use a lighter or wat?!

RT-Rockin
08-04-2002, 12:32 PM
You just need to force it. Its not like superglue. It was meant to put enough of a hold on the threads so that normal vibrations or other similar forces would not be able to loosen it.

Hope that helps.

Rockin

tranman
08-04-2002, 12:42 PM
That is not the way to get RED loc-tite off. You should heat it by either placing your parts in boiling water (as long as nothing melts and its safe to put in water) or hold it over the stove (not gas stove) which is what i usually do. It "melts" the loc-tite so that it is soft and then you can just take off whatever it is you need to take off.

wes
08-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by tranman
That is not the way to get RED loc-tite off. You should heat it by either placing your parts in boiling water (as long as nothing melts and its safe to put in water) or hold it over the stove (not gas stove) which is what i usually do. It "melts" the loc-tite so that it is soft and then you can just take off whatever it is you need to take off.

thanks ill try that later today,

i used elbow greese the other day and it messed up the hose a little... :mad:

InvisibleBill
08-08-2002, 02:13 PM
Howdy dowdy! I have found that the red loctite is evil. I had to put the air hose in a vice, then get the biggest wrench and strip the hose (it came out though...). I use the blue loctite (can be remove with medium amount of force) but the blue holds whatever in place quite nicely. And I didn't know that you had to heat the red! That would of made my life so much easier. Damn, $20 in hoses wasted. Rock on, IB.

wes
08-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by InvisibleBill
Howdy dowdy! I have found that the red loctite is evil. I had to put the air hose in a vice, then get the biggest wrench and strip the hose (it came out though...). I use the blue loctite (can be remove with medium amount of force) but the blue holds whatever in place quite nicely. And I didn't know that you had to heat the red! That would of made my life so much easier. Damn, $20 in hoses wasted. Rock on, IB.

yep red is the devil, i usually use teflon tape but the store put on the hose... i got the quick disconnect off but the 90* fitting is still on because i stripped hose :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Telefragged
08-08-2002, 06:04 PM
RED is EVIL!!! It took me a couple mins with my butane blowtorch and two rather large wrenches to get the QD fitting off my new Armagedon, and the hose from the ASA of my RTP. I honestly don't see why anyone would use red, as its a real pain to get rid of, Teflon Tape works fine as long as ou wrap it right, easy to remove as well!

Wes, if you've got a Dremel or something, grind some new flats on the hose, and use a Vice-Grip to get it off, thats what I did with some hoses on my M98, I hate that stuff!

wes
08-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Telefragged
Wes, if you've got a Dremel or something, grind some new flats on the hose, and use a Vice-Grip to get it off, thats what I did with some hoses on my M98, I hate that stuff!

ill try and do that when my dad gets home...

InvisibleBill
08-08-2002, 06:20 PM
I think Tippmann has a conspiracy goin on, since they give out the red loctite with the verticle adapter for the M98. Yeah. Stupid Conspriacies, making me buy more hoses...What is a dremel? Thanks, IB.

mike e
08-08-2002, 06:56 PM
a dremel is a type of drill with different bits for cutting sanding polishing and various other tasks, heating red loctite is best, you dont even have to submerge in water, the steam alone should do it, just be patient. blue loctite works well but i too just use teflon