PDA

View Full Version : oiling mag

hostage
08-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Okay I put about 3 drops in valve opening and fire it about 50 times, though is it okay to oil the on/off valve and the bolt?
-Hostage

LJT
08-06-2002, 10:28 PM
I have oiled the on/off and bolt since I got my mag. The only thing I am careful about is not getting oil on the front of the bolt, I found that it screws up my shots (of course, that maybe because I use store brand paint).

Army
08-06-2002, 11:52 PM
This would have been really easy to find with AO's swell search feature....but:

Best way to oil your 'Mag, is to put a few drops into the ASA. If you can't, then pull off the quick disconnect and put a few directly into the hose or elbow.

Remove the barrel, and fire off about 20-30 shots to blow the oil throughout the guns' valve componants.

The "O-oil-O" on the bottom of the AIR does nothing, ignore it.

Thordic
08-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Also, oiling your bolt is pointless. No need to waste good oil on a part that doesn't need oil.

In other PB guns, yeah, the bolt needs to be oiled/greased, often because the outside of the bolt needs to keep a seal with the body. On a mag, though, the only part of the bolt that needs to make a seal is the bolt stem, and by oiling the ASA you keep the PT orings oiled, which keeps the system tight.

Oiling the outside of the bolt just makes it a little shinier, gets crap down your barrel, makes a mess, and wastes oil.

LJT
08-07-2002, 11:53 AM
I usually put oil in the elbow going to the A.I.R. valve before I start playing. However, the reason for oiling the bolt is not to get a good seal. It is one of the few moving parts that has metal to metal contact. This, over time will wear parts down. Hence the reason for the derlin on the original superbolt and for putting oil in the valve. Yes, some oil gets in the barrel breach, but it does not seem to be enough to affect accuracy, at least not for me. Of course, I am a cheap bastard who uses fairly inaccurate store brand paint to start with. In any case, you can’t really harm anything using too much oil, so go nuts! :D