PDA

View Full Version : Small annoyance with the Rico AK

HyperSnyper
08-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Anyone had this problem with the AK?

Ever got shot on the side of the hopper where the clear viewing window is and got paint shell wedged in between the window and the body?

Its near impossible to get them out and I dont wanna risk popping the window out and actually cracking it.

I know its a small minor thing, but after cleaning all your equipment, getting everything nice and shiny, its really gets on me that I have greena dn pink shells still stuck inside.

...GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

I was wondering (since I get the new O-ring shell) if there is something I can put in the seam/crack where the window contacts the body, like rubber cement or hot glue?

Any suggestions?

-Hyper

personman
08-07-2002, 05:09 PM
you think you could get a toothpick or something and get em out?

HyperSnyper
08-07-2002, 05:46 PM
tired it, but the shell actually wedged itself in and under the window. How it did that, I have no idea. I remeber when it happened too, My backman disappeared on me, and the other team ran the tape and bunkered me. Only gun and hopper hits, I understand that the impact is alot more at a 6ft distance, but how the heck did it dig in and under the window?

Dont matter now since i have a new body, but I dont want it to happen again.

I was thinking of using a black automotive gasket maker. If I mased off the window and body when applying, I bet I could do a real clean job.

Just wanted to know other alternatives.

-Hyper

kool_aid39
08-07-2002, 07:57 PM
The same thing happened to my ricochet. I can't get the fragments out either. Please tell us how the gasket thing worked.

pito189
08-07-2002, 11:50 PM
I would go around the edges of the window with some silicon cocking. The stuff that is used to edge windows, I bet that would work awesome.

Polishpickles451
08-08-2002, 10:03 AM
i have the same problem!

it is annoying, glue will keep more from getting in but you're still left w/ the ugly ones in there

FrAuStY
08-08-2002, 10:17 AM
I used RTV to seal my hopper when I installed my warp..and by the way..it's called Silicone Caulk, not cocking.. ;) I'm sure the hardware store guy would get a kick out of that! Anyway... RTV is a low-volatile silicone(meaning it cures without a real chemical smell, and it won't melt plastics and such) Now the only draw back to using silicones and caulks, is they prefer to adhere to rough "dry" materials i.e. paper,wood,glass,metal etc.. With plastics, there's like an oily resin they use in the manufacturing process that allows the plastic to mold correctly. On revvys you can feel it. Dunno bout the rico. Anyway, silicones don't adhere well to this, the solution, get a Q-tip and some Xylene (if you can get it..) even paint/laquer thinner will work. Then...scrub the plastic where you want the caulk to adhere...this will dry out the plastic enough for the silicon to make a good bond. It will possibly turn the black plastic...grey, I don't know about the clear plastic the window is made out of. If you don't...then you'll be re-doing the caulk every month or so (depending on how much you play/get hit on the caulk). *USE CHEMICALS AT YOUR OWN RISK. REMEMBER USE THEM OUTSIDE* Good luck :)

pito189
08-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by FrAuStY
I used RTV to seal my hopper when I installed my warp..and by the way..it's called Silicone Caulk, not cocking.. ;) I'm sure the hardware store guy would get a kick out of that!

I was wondering if anybody would notice. :eek: