PDA

View Full Version : Seeking HPA advice

BigShane
08-08-2002, 08:53 AM
I have been away from paintball for over three years now, and I would really like to get back into the game. I used to use CO2 on my minimag, but I before I start playing again I would like to go HPA. I'd like advice on how I should set it up. I know nothing about it, so feel free to be as detailed as possible. I have removed the expansion chamber, should I also remove the vertical adapter? Or will that somehow fit into my new setup? I guess I'll need a drop forward as well. So what I am essentially asking is if you guys know of a great HPA tank/ drop forward combination that works well for the 'mag. Oh, and I am not even sure what size/pressure tank I should look for. I don't want a scuba tank hanging underneath my gun, but I need something that will get me through a game or two. The flatline tank at the AGD online store looked interesting, but it's listed as out of stock. Yes, you may assume that I am clueless about everything related to HPA. I won't be insulted if you spell it out for me, in fact I'd prefer it.

TRIAD
08-08-2002, 08:59 AM
Well, you have a few choices.

You can keep the vert adapter and:
Put in a gas-through-foregrip in there, take gas from drop (which I'll discuss later) into bottom of foregrip, then out the vert adapter, and into valve

Or you can put a plain gas-through-grip there and just run air right from drop to valve

Or you can just have grip and run gas from air right from drop to valve

Or when not keeping vert adapter:

Just put a foregrip on there, maybe an extender too, and run air right from drop to valve

For a drop, try stuff, there're tons of choices for different budgets, looks, setups, performance, etc.

For HPA, it all depends, at least a 68 3k to get through a couple of games, then if you shoot a lot maybe a 68 45, or 88 3k or 8845, but nothing bigger. Get one of the new stubby 88's if you get one, just a bit thicker than a 68.

You can use macro or whatever hose you want, the setup will be a lot like your expansion chamber setup

HPA for less expensive = crossfire or pmi, more expensive = AGD, SmartParts, System X, AirAmerica, Centerflag

FrAuStY
08-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Just remember, DON'T ADD ANOTHER REGULATOR to the mix... all you need..is the HPA tank, a dropforward/cradle to attach the tank to your gun, and then an airline (micro/macro/stainless steel) to get air from the tank to your valve. If you want to run it through a gas thru foregrip..the keep the vert ASA you have now and get a gas through. I believe KAPP's are around 17-20$ ACI's are around 12-16$. And there are many others to choose from. It's all preference.

You said you knew nothing about HPS so let me give you some more info. There are two types of HPA tanks. Preset, and adjustable. Most of your lower price tanks are preset at ~800-850 psi. This is no big deal as it will deliver enough air for just about any type of a gun.

Adjustable tanks, are just that...you can adjust the output pressure between 400-1000 sometimes more PSI. The good thing about this is... you can more find tune your gun. Especially..the RT which the reactiveness (springback) of the trigger is directly acted upon by the input pressure. More pressure..more spring, less pressure, less spring. Good luck with your setup...and also.. you may want to post things like this in the technical forum...the moderators are trying very hard to clean up the forums. Thanks :)

TheTramp
08-08-2002, 10:35 AM
I thought I'd add something.

You can keep the expantion chamber and use it just like a gas-through foregrip. Technecly the baffels inside it will slow the flow of air but if you didn't have any shoot down when you were using it before you wont have any now.

All you really have to do to add Air is simply set you mag the way it was before then screw a HPA tank in the same way you used to screw in the CO2 tank.

I suggest a crossfire steel stub tank to start with. They are preset at 800-850psi and are 68ci at 3000psi. You can get one for around $100. If money isn't as much of a problem then the sky is the limit as far as tanks go. The other guys who have posted had good ideas for other tanks.

Cristobal
08-08-2002, 11:15 AM
A few things to note running HPA on a mag:

As FrAuStY pointed out, you don't need to add a regulator, the one on the tank and the one in the valve will be fine. I've heard of people tripple regging without shootodown and claiming better consitency, but its generally not advised.(You need at least a 200 psi difference between each regulator)

Macro-line or stainless steel are you best options for air-line; micro won't flow as much and you don't want to starve your mag. A quick disconnect and degass slide check are good things to have if you end up with the level 10, even if you run macro. (Run a search for cphilip's post on degassing the lvl 10 if you want to know more.)

If it were me, I'd probably run the air-line straight from the tank reg to the valve, and use whatever was comfortable for a for-grip. If you're happy with the feel of your x-chamber, I'd leave it and just not run any air through it.

Also, be aware that preset tanks come in "lower" (400-450 psi) and "higher" pressure (800-850 psi) output; you'll want the higher pressure output for your mag (although its often merely a matter of changing sprin-packs to change a preset regulator between the two outputs). If you buy used, be sure to find out the hydro date of the tank (and when it has to be retested). There are some good deals to be had in the classified forums here too, and most of them will be high-output tanks (gee I wonder why? :D).

If you want to save money and a bit of size, go with a steel tank; if you want less weight go with fiber wrapped. Be aware that you will definitely want a tank cover for a fiber wrapped tank, to keep it from getting damaged by scratches.

BigShane
08-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all of the good advice. Maybe I will try the gas-thru grip. I think that will help balance the gun as well as keep everything tight and neat. Besides, after having the expansion chamber on it forever, it looks naked without anything in front of the trigger guard. You are right, Frausty, perhaps I should have posted in the technical forum. The little voice in my head told me to do so, but I wasn't quite sure that my post was "technical enough" for that forum. As for the tank, I think I'll look at a 68 45 as was suggested somewhere in those posts. That should be sufficient. I understand your concerns about triple regulating, and I promise not to do so. The less I have to fool with, the better. Whenever I have to tinker with complicated ( having many parts or pieces ) things, I tend to break something or otherwise mess it up. Thanks again.