PDA

View Full Version : Range on a mag?

BOHICA
08-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Hey all. I've been thinking of buying an automag classic standard feed (so I can mount a sight on it). I currently own a 98 custom w/ flatline barrel and lotsa other stuff. Now I would like to move on up to a higher end gun. The thing is though, I am so used to my flatline. Its range is unbeleivable. I'm afraid I will miss the range of the flatline. I play woodsball, and because of that the flatline has been a great advantage to me. Please, can anyone give me a rough estimate of the range of a classic mag with a 12" bigshot? Thanks very much.

TheTramp
08-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Well, you aren't going to get as much range as you do with your flatline barrel but you will get the same range as every other non-flatline barrel marker (shooting at the same velocity). You will be able to shoot the Mag faster and it will be much easier to clean out if you get a break in the barrel.

Think about the range you see other people getting with ther markers and that's aproximatly what you'll get from the Mag.

Thordic
08-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Well, I understand your dilemma, but I don't think you'll mind that much.

A Flatline barrel has maybe an extra 30% range over other paintball guns, lets say. I've never measured it personally, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

So lets assume that you are going to lose maybe, 30 feet of range by switching away from the Flatline.

In the long run, it doesn't really matter, and I'll tell you why.

First off, by the time a paintball gets to the end of its trajectory, it is moving MUCH slower than it was at the beginning of its flight. The farther it goes, the slower it moves due to air resistance and the fact paintballs are crappy projectiles.

So, since the speed the paintball is going is the SAME in a Flatline or another gun (roughly 280 feet per second), by the time the Flatline puts that ball the extra 30 feet, it is going much slower than a paintball shot from a "normal" gun would be going at the end of its flight.

Ever notice that when you shoot a paintball from a normal gun, at the end of its range the ball rarely breaks?

Flatline barrels RARELY break paintball on long range shots. You may have extra range, but 90% of the time all it is giving you is a few bounces off a player.

So all you are getting is what, a 10% chance of eliminating someone you probably have a 5% chance of hitting at that range? If you are just playing recball, an advantage that small shouldn't matter compared to the advantages you will gain by moving to a higher-end marker.

There is a lot of other things I could go into, but I think that the Flatline is pretty much a useless addition that promotes the "sniper" mentality, when anyone familiar with paintball ballistics can tell you that being a sniper just does not work with inaccurate and poorly ranged ammunition, IE, paintballs.

FrAuStY
08-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Way to break it down Thordic... ;) I have to agree...I occasionally go play recball and sometimes there's a kid there with a flatline tippy. Have you ever let someone on the oppsing team use you gun and have them shoot at you? Sure...I can't come close to hitting them from the range that the balls come floating in from the tippy...Infact most of the time..they're going slow enough I could catch them without them breaking (PMI Prem's). Also...the length of the barrel for your mag doesn't have to be 12 inches long, the length of the barrel has nothing to do with range..only efficieny. As it's longer than 8 inches (non ported) it will be fine. A 10 Inch barrel would be a lot easier to carry around in the woods IMO..but thats just me :) Anyway.. good luck with the mag mang :D

BOHICA
08-08-2002, 10:11 AM
Alright thanks guys! I feel better now.

Coaster
08-08-2002, 10:32 AM
BOHICA, there is a replacement body for the automag that uses a small plate to hit the ball as it is leaving the body to create backspin. It's called the Z-Body, and like the flatline you need to use small bore paint with it and ALSO need to buy a large bore barrel.

Cristobal
08-08-2002, 10:51 AM
If you want more info on the z-body, got Galactic Systemz site (they make it) http://www.galacticz.com They've got a nice animation showing how it works.

I've never had one, but from seeing what people post here who have, it seems they work pretty well -- as long as you use a very large bore barrel.

AcemanPB
08-08-2002, 03:48 PM
guys at my field still think some markers shoot farther than others, and these are old "intelligent" adults not whiny 12 year olds. like this one guy was deciding between an angel or GZ timmy, he liked the angel but went with the timmy because it was more "accurate", jesus! if i was spending 800+ on a gun i would make sure i had my facts straight!!

so, a mag with shoot just as far as a cocker, or any other gun for that mater

Pand0ra
08-09-2002, 04:56 AM
Hummm a flatline + Lvl10 Emag + 0 bounce paint would be cool (but ugly, I know) :) .

@++

manike
08-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Pand0ra
Hummm a flatline + Lvl10 Emag + 0 bounce paint would be cool (but ugly, I know) :) .

@++

Don't you DARE put that monstrosity on to a C&C!!! :eek:

I'd be forced to find you, take the flatline barrel off, and hit you over the head with it ;)

:D :D :D

manike

HoppysMag
08-09-2002, 11:01 AM
try hunting down a Zbody if you really want the extra range...

SSMercury
08-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Heh, Manike, I'd think it'd be neat. Load the most brittle paint that can survive going down a Flatline barrel and see if it can break at the end of it's flight. :) Got some paint here that breaks when dropped at 4 feet occasionally. "fresh" too. :confused:

(Later, as Manike flies to the U.S. and hunts me down)

Ouch, Ouch. :D