PDA

View Full Version : Bad day at field

Vegeta
08-11-2002, 12:27 PM
Ahhh I have an interesting story to tell...

Yesterday Me and soem firends were going down to check out this new field about 30 minutes away. For one.. this place is way out in the middle of nowhere... on a rock road..

so we get there.. this place so far has 4 fields. a speedball, a 'town' filed wich was just a bunch of throw togetehr shacks, and 2 woods fields, one was closed. This place is a dust bowl. So I go in the little hut they have setup to pay and get paint/fill. All my firneds including I am running co2. My firend gets his tank filled first. At fisrt I had NO idea what they were doing. THe entire time he was filling this thing there was air shooting out of hte top of the welding-like tank. Then I look away and when I look back he has hte tank off the fill station and it is frozen solid. No- not just cold liek normal.. it actually was frosted. and no not jsut frosted a litte.. i mean the tank was TOTTALY WHITE. He said something was wrong with his pin valve and it needed replacing or some crap. My friend did not mention that the tank was only 2 weeks old and was working perfectly the week before.

So I give my tank to the guy. He does the same only mine doesn't get all frosty, but it was much colder than normal. I ask if he has liek a guage on that tank or something and he said 'no, we do it by wieght'. then I look and see him fill another tank... he was not using a scale.. we was just guessing. They were renting mags... and one kid broght one in and said it wasnt shooting right. Well I put two and two together...

Wierd filling of hte tanks.. air shooting out entire time...
Kid's mag freezing in 90 degree weather with a vert tank....

I concluded that they were filling hte tanks with soem sort of siphon setup... putting liquid co2 in to the tanks... now all co2 tanks have liquid in them and I know this.. but htey are not supposed to be all liquid...

So whatever.. i go outside and walk to my gun on the table. I screw it in and the reg starts leaking out hte back immediately. The words "Overfill" popped in my mind. I chronoed real quick, with the reg leaking still. I had not touched the reg in a long time since it normally stays shooting around 275-285 without me having to tune hte velocity. I chrono. I was shootring in the 350fps range. the word 'overfill' pops in my head again. I set my gun now next to my friend and my gear. I turn around to watch some people, turn back, and BANG!

Gas starts shooting everywhere. My marco had blown. No yes I know marco blows now and then but this crap was brand new. It was not overly hot out. I have played in 100 degree weather with that marco and co2.. nothing bad has ever happened. Now today all of a sudden my marco blows,my friend's tank valve freezes up and looks like a chunk of ice rather than a tank.. and they are fillign the tanks in a way i have never seen before..... hmmmmm.... oh did I mention when I first walked in that the guy at the counter WAS REPLAING A 3K BURST DISK ON A KID'S TANK.

I let some cursewords fly... I tried replacing the marco but it was still leaking aroudn hte fittings a bit.. something that has never happened before. So I go to my toolbox and pull out an 8 inch SS line... it went from my valve to my drop's asa but it was a bit short- i had to put my trigger finger around the line to pull the trigger. So I go in there and make sure they know what happened and how royaly pissed I was.. and they said that it is 'hot out and tanks arent made to get very hot'... WHAT? they obviously knew nothing about paintball.. they gy had said earlier that he had been into paintball a bit for 'about two years'. This guy owns the place and I haev more experience than him. Oh did I mention that he plays with a M98 and his only upgrade is a barrel? Not to diss M98s, very nice guns, but you think if you owned a field that you would actually have a nice higher end marker.

Never the less the game play was fantastic adn I had fun.. but later on I was sayign somehting about hte tanks and the lady in the stand said "oh yea he fills the whole tank with liquid instead of like those people at (local sporting good store's name). He makes sure that it is totally full of liquid so you get more shots out of a tank".

So my siphon theory was correct. This guy is topping off tanks with liquid co2. Now I am not a chemistry major but I know that liquid co2 expands in warmer temperatures.. and if a tank is full of the crap.. it is going to expand a lot more than a tank only half full.

So in retrospect I had a good time... but for that first half an hour I was royal pissed at the people. I mean it is one thing to overfill tanks but overfill to the point it blows my marco and freezes my friends tank valve solid (you people should have seen this tank it was like something out of a sci-fi movie). Now my friend has to get a new valve pin assembly because soem idiots overfilled his tank (no my firend doesn't know about the whole tech behind why his tank did that).

Hexis
08-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Sounds like he is overfilling tanks, which is a saftey problem. However all CO2 sill stations are syphon setups. You should only fill them to the rated weight (which is normal). A 20oz tank should hold, yep you guessed it, 20oz of CO2 total.

Vegeta
08-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Well I had a clear view of the fill station since this hut was only about 15 x 15. All I saw was a big assed tank, like that of which would be used for welding (not like a scuba tank), a big valve w/ handle connected to the outlet on the tank, and a SS hose going from the valve to a on/off ASA looking thing that he was attaching the tanks to. There were no guages on hte contraption anywhere and there were no scales of any such. From his body language I could tell he was just guessing on how much he was putting in there. And the entire time he was filling a tank there was gas shooting out this outlet on the valve and they all acted like it was normal or something....

When I get my tank filled at the local sporting goods store this never happens...

Hexis
08-11-2002, 03:37 PM
25lb bulk CO2 tanks are that sized. It sounds like he had a normal fill station, except he was missing a scale and a clue.