PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal to get my first mag?

Damage
08-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Hi this is my first post (I have been reading and admiring for awhile) I have been wanting a mag forever and I have not been sure what type I wanted. I was offered a deal on a marker and I was curious if it is worth it.
It has:

Chrome Z body

Taso pro series Stainless 10 inch barrel (Large bore to work with the Z body)

68 classic valve (Has two stars left)

Benchmark trigger frame...(2x trigger)

Adjustable Tactical drop with on/off

Kapp detent

A few other assorted pieces

SS line and new ASA

This for my :

Spyder Shutter With ESP(Semi, 3rnd, 5rnd & auto), 14"J&J Ceramic, Bob Long Bolt, VA, LPC, Diamond labs titanium high flow valve and and lots of TLC in the fit and finish details (All Chrome except for the blue ano body). Runs a reliable 350psi@ 295fps Also includes all the stock parts and has less than 2 cases through it. And is cosmeticaly perfect. also includes an anti siphon Co2 tank

My question is: Is this a good deal? It looks VERY nice from the picts I have seen. I am supposed to make a decision soon so any input from here would be greatly appreciated. I thank you guys for your time and effort in advance.
Denne Fox

TRIAD
08-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Long as the 'mag works, heck yeah.

Sinnet
08-11-2002, 09:19 PM
even if it doesnt, the valve's got stars... big heck yeah!

spazzed
08-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Only thing I'd be weary of is the Zbody... does it come w/ original body as well?

rehme
08-11-2002, 09:52 PM
yeah that is a awesome deal do it if you have any problems just post on the forum or call AGD

HoppysMag
08-11-2002, 10:14 PM
" Kapp detent " that lost me there... would some one like to enlighten me to where a detent is on a mag!

Damage
08-11-2002, 10:15 PM
Nope no original body :( . But thanks you guys for making me feel welcome (Lots of places new faces get the cold shoulder) First possibly dumb question: Is there a way to buy the original video that comes with the 'Mags so I can get it right from the start? Thanks again guys. I think I like it here.

Damage
08-11-2002, 10:17 PM
well from what I understand the Z body uses 'cocker barrels and ball detents. I could be wrong...
http://www.galacticz.com/contents/access/close/bodysilver.jpg

Cristobal
08-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Yeah, cocker barrels on the z-body, and I believe cocker detents as well (certainly not nubbins). I've never heard of people having physical problems with the z-body, and a number of members here have them and by all acounts they are pretty well liked. Its really a matter of whether you find the backpinn worthwile for your playing style. The nice thing about it though is that you can screw the backspin screw in or out to shoot and choose whether you're shooting normal or with spin.

The only problem people have with them is getting backspin consistently -- to do that you really do have to have an extra-large-bore barrel. If its too tight it produces to much friction and gets rid of the spin by the time it exits. Lapco makes an super-large-bore barrel that's supposed to be good with it, and galacticz makes their own giant barrels. Try the taso, and if it seems to tight then get a bigger one. But certainly for normal shooting without the spin . If you haven't been to galactic systemz site its http://www.galacticz.com

With a chrome z-body and ss barrel on black rail and (I assume black) benchy it should look pretty nice.

Oh, and you can call up AGD and register your gun and ask for the video while you're at it. You may also be able to request the video on the online registration form at airgun.com

Also, I would encourage you to run your new gun on HPA.

HoppysMag
08-12-2002, 09:48 AM
i have been enlightened:D thanks...

joeyjoe367
08-12-2002, 11:24 AM
I had a really good experience with the Z-body, However, I succumbed to the warp feed :D

Just make sure your barrel is big enough. .697 or larger for most paints.

I'd check up on the bore of that taso. You should be able to roll a paintball down the barrel without too much friction for the Z-body to work well.

Damage
08-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Dumb question 2 (LOL): Since this is a custom body and grip frame, there is not much original left. Is it still considered a 'Mag? and can I still register it?.

MagManOne
08-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I think so. The Z-Body is made by AGD, who obviously makes the Valve. At the least you can register the valve and stuff. Someone can help me out, but I think you aren't voiding the stars on the valve by using an aftermarket grip frame. It should all be good.

Damage
08-12-2002, 01:07 PM
No the body is made by Galatic Systemz ( http://www.galacticz.com/index.html ) and the Frame is a Benchmark. The only things stock are the rail and valve. Thats not much left, hence my question :D

joeyjoe367
08-12-2002, 01:47 PM
I bought just a valve, and built a Z-body mag around it. You should be able to register it, no problem.

...At least I didn't.

MagManOne
08-12-2002, 02:28 PM
My bad! The last time I thought about a Z-Body was about a year ago, so you just restored my memory! lol. Galactic, galactic...

paintbattler
08-12-2002, 02:28 PM
yeah, its a great deal

HoppysMag
08-12-2002, 03:40 PM
ya when regestering all you really register is the vaulve cause well theres no serial numbers on the body or rail or grip... if its stolen ( god forbid) the way you could recover it is by the vaulve number...

Damage
08-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Thats very cool and now I know I have a way to register it if (I'll break their legs, LOL) it ever gets stolen. Damn I love these mags more every day and I dont even own it yet!

MagManOne
08-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the Mag community!:D

Damage
08-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Thank you! Ill be here for awhile (I wonder if I have to give up my mod status on the Spyder board? LOL) Oh by the way I just found this Z bodied Mag on ebay its almost complete and cheap (So far) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1850755850
I hope it was ok to post that here...If not Im sorry.

Mag89
08-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Yeah it's a great deal.:D

SingleShotGabe
08-16-2002, 01:12 PM
:D Sup Damage its SyntaxSinner From Spyderea...

I guess we will be seeing a Mag Picture once you've Tricked it out right???

magman007
08-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Ok, heres the deal. IF you want to have it serviced, and you send it in with the z boddy, they will charge you, why? because it is an aftermarket part. If you had a regular body they would just punch a star. You might want to read the warrenty pollicy at www.airgun.com Also, other aftermarket grip frames accept for the intelli, benchmark, and z grip ......also void the warrenty, unless you send it back in with your origional gripframe, or one of the above approved grip frames. i reccomend going for it, it is a big step from your spyder. trust me, i went from a shutter, to a mag, to an rt pro, to a cocker (ugh...) and then th the e-mag (YEY!!!!!) im happy as can be

Damage
08-16-2002, 01:42 PM
Hey SSG/SS Yeah Im waiting on this kid to send me a tracking # today. Hes been slow playing me pretty bad First he says its all together and next he says its packaged then he said him and his 12 year old buddy took it apart and shot something out the back and dont know where it went. Then this kids (Vetern Walk On. shhhh) dad tells me that the kid is in trouble for going out and shooting up the neighbors cars at two in the morning, Im bummed about it being messed up, But I feel its my duty to rescue it from the clutches of a spoiled 12 year old with no brains. Im going to miss my Shutter it has $$ in it but Im in love with 'Mags. I am even more so after yesterday when I called AGD and they gave me a Video, Book and Parabolic feed plug (See I have been reading the boards!) Thats the coolest experiance I have had with any manufacturer! That right there made me an AGD diehard for life (really great people!). I guess if it is too messed up I can can try to send it in and see if they will put things right for a price...(Will they do that even though it has an aftermarket body?) anyways dont say nothing on the other board about the car painting session until after he ships then we can flame him together, LOL. Did you get the picts I sent you of the basic Z body setup and the benchmark frame? LMK. Later and thanks for all your help.

Damage
08-16-2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up MagMan007, I read the warrenty policy and they listed some other body's as non acceptable but not the Z. Even so would it only be the $45.00 to $65.00 to get it tuned? If so i feel that is worth it and then I can save my star in case i get a stock body. Thats about what they charge (Not including shipping & parts) isnt it? Thanks again...

Archangel
08-16-2002, 02:10 PM
wish I could get a deal like that, I'm still savin for my first mag

RetroEclipseMan
08-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Are they sending you the parabolic feed plug for free? I was looking inot getting one even though i don't have a warp but i figure it will help the gun feed.

Damage
08-16-2002, 06:22 PM
They were soo cool when I explained that I did not have a manual or video and the feed plug was the old style. They are sending out the whole shooting match for free and just asked that I send them $5.00 after it gets here to cover shipping, Which I will gladly do :D . The new feed plug is supposed to help any 'Mag with the old style plug feed better. And its only $2.00 brand new. I also called today and found that technical support was out but the the person there said when my 'mag comes in to register it (I had planed to, for sure!) and then I could get a R.A. # and send it back for an initial price of $45.00 get it fixed up proper and that they would call me if it needed any parts and ship it back. How cool is that. Just the way Ive been treated over the past few days has shown me that this is the gun of choice if you want the best in service and assistance and trouble free ownership. These may be things you guys take for granted but it is a well kept secret around here (Not For Long, I Have a Big Mouth!)

InfinatyBPS
08-16-2002, 07:01 PM
sounds like a good deal to me...

kevdupuis
08-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Hey Damage how goes it. And yes I prefer to be here. They're a great group of people here, and they don't mind if you own other markers.:D

Damage
08-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Hey kevdupuis, yeah life has been good over here so far and I noticed people dont get pounced on for what seems a simple question to those in the know..The 'Mag is supposed to be shipped tomorrow (I HOPE) and Ive been hunting everywhere for new stuff. I already bought two different length gas thru for grips (A chrome benchmark and a shorter unidentified one) new Braided lines and fittings and two different drops so I can mix and match to get the best fits. I found a good deal on a Crossfire nitro system but its a little large (114/3000 But perfect for a day of rec play) And Im trying to find out how much of a drop I will need to get a good balance and if a System X web Drop

http://store2.yimg.com/I/paintballgate_1702_9774747 will be enough?

Also how many shots on average can I expect on a 'mag with a 114/3000 system. Also is 800 to 850 psi input pressure too high?

Ok thats all my simple minded questions for today...Thanks

kevdupuis
08-17-2002, 08:33 AM
If you like to keep the marker in tight, you'll most likely want a longer drop for that 114/3000, they are pretty long. As for the efficiency, "the tecks here should correct me" with the 114/3000 and depending on how you have the backspin pad set, I would rough guess around 800 shots min.

Damage
08-17-2002, 05:46 PM
How rare is the Z grip? Anyone know any production figures? I know they are not made any more. But after extensive research and phone calls I found a place that says they just sold the last of their stock at $80.00 a pop (Is That a good price?, I saw one go on eBay the other day for $175.00!) But the good news is the say they will probally be able to get three more and that I am first on the list. Im not letting out the location 'till I make sure I get mine. But after that I will post where to get them if anyone is interested. Or am I wrong to assume they are that rare? and just on a chase for something that is easy to get? I really would like to assemble a Z bodied, Z framed, Retro valved, Lvl.10 mag Does the sound like a do-able project, Since I am halfway there? Would it be a worthwhile combination? LMK and thanks...

Damage
08-22-2002, 08:14 PM
Well it came in today :) In Pieces :( This thing has been seriously 12 year old mis-handled had no lines and a crappy ASA and there were many missing screws. But I registered it and I figure to just send it in to get it put back to rights. It needs some serious TLC but the cosmetics are up to par. And it came with a nice Taso Pro series SS barrel. And I put on a Tactical drop just to see the fit. So I am going to look at it for a day or to and send it off to get returned to proper working condition And it will hopefully have a z grip at the end of the month, LOL... Also where is a good place to get the lines and disconnects at? would like the Kapp swivel fittings be good? Also I have seen some of these with hard line from the gas thru to the A.I.R. valve. Who makes these? here is a little before pict (Just wait 'till I get done!):

http://members.aol.com/steviefx1/images/mynewmag1.jpghttp://members.aol.com/steviefx1/images/mynewmag3.jpg

Excuse the picts they are off a real poor webcam, LOL This is my my first 'mag project and all advice is welcomed...

Damage
08-23-2002, 02:33 AM
After registering the valve today I found out the date of original registration (2000) and the original builders name which was Justin something. So I looked for in the screen names which signed up around 2000 and began with a "J" and had Z mag in their posts. I found him and his screen name was "Justin" (Man that was easy!) anyways here it is as he originally built it (In his posts it had an intelliframe too but this is with the Benchy) :

http://server24.hypermart.net/paintballpost/zmag9.jpg

And some more picts and the thread:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14562#post14562

By doing this I found out thats a ANS Shark gill rail holding it up (I didnt think that was factory) and it matches the Body NICE. and with that Drop zone II it looks very close to the way I mocked it up today, Lines and all(It had some weird suff when I took it outta the box) Now if I could just find a way to contact the original owner I could get the rest of the skinny on this gun. And how it got across the country twice (If any one remembers "Justin" let me know, Please). Whats cool is how many markers can you think of that you can track down like this? AGD rocks and is getting better in my opinion every day :D I'm hooked!

kevdupuis
08-23-2002, 05:48 AM
Damage, if you have the tools you can double flare and bend hard line with the 1/8" fittings. Or check with a hydraulic shop they may set you right up,(some will and some won't). Check your paintball shops for QD's, stainless flex, or macroline and fittings. Be creative and have fun with it .

PS: Did you check the pics of the Raptor that Loki and I are butchering.

It looks good. I've liked the z-body since I first saw one.

Damage
08-23-2002, 09:56 AM
The Problem is there is no PB shop within 120 miles. And with internet shopping I cant sit there and see how each different run will look. Maybe I will take a drive. But I like the idea about hydraulic shop. I was not sure if the lines were done like automotive brake lines. That gives me some ideas. I should probally do a QD where it goes into the valve right? Thanks for the ideas. What did you think of the basic look of it?(The gun).

P.S No I have not seen the Raptor where are the picts located at... :D

P.S.S.

Never mind I found it, Pretty cool. Its amazing what you can do with creative use of a cut off wheel, LOL!