PDA

View Full Version : EMAG w/ pneu solenoid and air ram

HyperSnyper
08-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Just wondering,

what if the E-Mag took the same path as other electros where it uses a LPR, solenoid and air driven ram. The solenoid selects the flow path for the ram, and the ram is the device to trip the sear.

Can alot of weight be saved? The system can then run off a 9v source (single 9v battery) rather than having a massive 18v NIMH battery.

I did a search and found Tom's reason for NOT doing this path was for simplicity reasons. He said it is easier to debug the current system vs dealing vs pneumatics such as these. He also claimed that the pnematic solenoids are near impossible to fix, but then again the large solenoids a re just as impossible to fix as well (atleast for us non-techs). In addition, by swapping to a smaller solenoid the battery drain will be less.

Just wanted everyones concensus. Is it better the way it is now, or would a more Pneumatic system be better?

-Hyper

Pand0ra
08-15-2002, 06:38 PM
I prefer the simplicity.
As Tom said, it's easier to debug a system like that, and the reliability is way higher.

You're building a marker over a fully validated valve, which limits a lot the problems you could have.

A solenoid like the one in the Emag is almost impossible to destroy.
You would have to put a high current in it for a few moment to destroy it, which is very hard to do with the battery. Moreover they're is no small oring like in the valves, no risk to put too much pressure in it, ...

I don't think you'll reduce the weight, on the contrary.
A new Emag C&C is now lighter than an Angel, even with the big battery.

@++