PDA

View Full Version : AGD Launch Pics!!!!

AGD
08-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Guys,

Here are some pics of the AGD Launch we tried for the first time at IAO. It seemed to work very well and you should all try it in your next tourney.

AGD

MPG videos
Single launch 350k (http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/MVC-002V.MPG)

Launch and standard sprinter 350k (http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/MVC-001V.MPG)

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/launch1.jpg
Above is the beginning stance before the horn. For clarity we have eliminated equipment but you can see how we hold the markers. It's best if one launcher is a lefty. In reality all the gun barrels are touching the wall.

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/launch2.jpg
At the horn the power stroke starts and here Emo has pulled his marker off the wall and is being pushed forcefully out of the box. Note that the back shooters markers are now starting to come forward into the shooting position.

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/launch3.jpg
Emo is now almost up to full speed as his first step hits the ground. Butch on the right has his gun in shooting postion and lost very little time putting balls downrange. (Timmy screwed up and forgot to shoot)

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/launch4.jpg
Emo is now on his own and rocketing to the 50.

http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/launch_pwr.jpg
Here we show the power of the "launch" to actually throw a player in the air.

personman
08-12-2002, 07:26 PM
Neat!
Tom, I diddnt know you were in the capo fan club! :p

Evil Bob
08-12-2002, 07:27 PM
Interesting concept, Tom. I can see something along the lines of RollerBall for inspiration there :)

-Evil Bob

spacemanspiff
08-12-2002, 07:30 PM
I heard that Emo was able to get into the 50 and be shooting before the other team knew what happened. Once again AGD comes up with a way to improve something.

cphilip
08-12-2002, 07:30 PM
Hmmm....

I am not convinced... but I am willing to watch and see how this goes. My first impression is it's all rather gimmikie..well...and complicated and...distracting. But all things new are a bit hard to accept as we know! So I will keep an open mind on it. Thanks for the explanation and picts Tom.

Emagster
08-12-2002, 07:33 PM
that looks like fun:D

fearc7
08-12-2002, 07:42 PM
can two really big guys launch me?:D

drx975
08-12-2002, 07:55 PM
Thats so screwed up you are throwing a player forwards lol. Really good idea though I never thought of trying that. Maybe thats because i play rec.

But dont you guys do speed training (or whatever) on top of that? It could help you a lot

j.t.
08-12-2002, 08:05 PM
That is a great idea! Even if it gets you ONE step ahead of the other guy its still an advantage towards you. :D

Timmy63
08-12-2002, 08:38 PM
I thought the launch worked quite well. We were able to get Emo at least 2 if not 3 steps in front of Chupas. They are both about the same speed and size. It all happens soo fast that it isn't such a big deal for the back guys, we still had time to get our guns up and shooting. The AGD Launch may not be needed for every field, but when you have to get your front guys in their spots in a hurry it will certainly do the trick.

I suggest practicing the AGD Launch before trying it in a game, and be careful where you aim your "launchie"!!!

CenterFire
08-12-2002, 08:40 PM
I was hoping for pics of this with some explanation... I may have to try this sometime soon

rjvemt1
08-12-2002, 08:44 PM
very fancy! however, there are a lot of things that have to go exactly right for this to work right. if your wings dont push with the same force than your center may spin or loose his ballance and possibly fall(fatal). the centers landing is also critical, a miss step could leave your team without a center player. and what about the other teams wings? does thier ability to sprint quicker leave your wings at a dissadvantage? puting your center into a situation where he is taking fire from his left and right because his wings lost a crutial split second while the other teams wings have pushed down the tapes just slightly more than your own?

i guess well just have to wait and see how this works out for teams that employ it. dont get me wrong, i have been shootin mags for ten years and am agd for life. ill even try this with my three-man and mabye even adapt it to a five-man.lets just see.

personman
08-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Hehe, TK now you have to post a video so I can see how this works..

AGD
08-12-2002, 09:31 PM
Videos now in top post.

AGD

NJ_agd47
08-12-2002, 09:41 PM
interesting idea never thought of goin off the break that way specially since im a front player,i gotta try that see how it works..great idea

personman
08-12-2002, 09:43 PM
Wow tom, I diddnt mean it, lol.
Thx for the vids, thats prettty kewl..

Will Wood
08-12-2002, 09:43 PM
I'm gonna try that at practice this sat. Post back then to tell how it went. Looks interesting.

Dayspring
08-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Hey Tom, is that you talking/working the camera?

Gotenks
08-12-2002, 10:22 PM
lol, tom, having trouble stopping the camera :p

dansim
08-12-2002, 10:29 PM
hmm that may work for our tourney except we start behind the dead box WALL

RobAGD
08-12-2002, 10:38 PM
Well we (Tom, Kayle, Brad, Webbie, BlackVCG and a few others ) were talking about it and did a little test.

First Black and i races, I beat Black to the 50 by 2 full strides.

Next Tom and ah I think Kayle launced Black as I did a normal run to the 50. This time we were dead even.

Intresting idea to say the least, I think it a tad hokie but it does work.

-Robert

SlipknotX556
08-12-2002, 11:15 PM
"How How How do you stop this?" Tom says the best lines, we also have "Wait Wait forget it"

Pand0ra
08-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Nice idea. Unfortunately it's impossible to use it in europe, because 95% of the time we start from behind a wall and there's no room to stay at 3 in the front :( .

Plus, the two lauchers loose at least 2 seconds before they can sweetspot, which means it's already too late to do something good.

Anyway, it's still funny to watch it :) .

@++

oldsoldier
08-13-2002, 08:48 AM
Well, that is, ah, interesting to say the least. I think that the idea is great; but the fact that, like others here pointed out, your wings are preoccupied launching, kinda takes away their initial lane shooting. With 5-man, or even 10-man it may work, as you still have guns up and shooting. But 3-man...I dont know. Personally, I think that tagging one or even 2 of their players off the break is more important than getting yours to the 50 first. This is just my opinion. Think about it though; you nail one of theirs off the break, you create a hole to work through. You get your guy to the 50 first, they still have all 3 guys, now it is still 3 on 3, and you have to watch all the angles still.
Again, this is just my opinion. I dont really see the tactical advantage to it. It DOES show the fact that Tom and his boys are thinking outside the box...and again I am awed at his ingeniousness.:D

AGD
08-13-2002, 09:42 AM
LOL!!! If you think the back guys loose time before they start shooting we need to play you!! Starting from behind the deadbox presents a bigger problem but we are working on that too.

If no one tries it because it's to "hoakie" that's absoulutely fine with me. Unlike Z-Grips this one didn't cost me any money to develop.

When your guy gets to the fifty we will be waiting there to say "hi".

AGD

oldsoldier
08-13-2002, 09:44 AM
OW! Tom shot me down...I am humbled.:cool:

Sinnet
08-13-2002, 10:31 AM
maybe when starting behind the wall (at least in 5-man) you could have one guy in the middle sweetspotting, then two back players on either side of him who grab the hands of the front players on the outside of them and fling them out and around the wall.

bigsarge72
08-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Ok, I can see where this may help a little on take off with one condition...The Launchee needs to stay in contact with the ground. This is coming from years of track and field training, and work with some very good sprint coaches. Speed is the result of your feet pushing off the ground, thus propelling you forward. That is why World Class sprinters lean at the finish line...if you dive (leave your feet to go airborne) you are actually loosing momentum.
So, if you use the Launch to propell him forward faster than he could propell himself from a standstill, might be a good idea. If you are throwing him in the air, it's probably not really beneficial, but it may look cool. :cool:

sarge

Jacob
08-13-2002, 11:04 AM
For once I'm glad that most of my teammates are too oldfashioned to try new things. I know that I'd be the one getting tossed. Even still, it sounds interesting enough that I wish I had caught it in action.

AGD
08-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Bigsarge,

I agree with your analysis, the front guy does have to stay in contact with the ground and thats what we do. The air launch pic was just to demonstrate the power that the back guys can contribute to the launch.

AGD

Pand0ra
08-13-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by AGD
LOL!!! If you think the back guys loose time before they start shooting we need to play you!!
AGD

Good for me. When do we play? :D

j/k, it's impossible to do a comparison between games when you start already in the field, and games like in Toulouse where you've to start behind a wall and have both foots inside the boundaries to start shooting (at least theorically for some teams).

The problem I see in the movie is the two back guys have to turn on themselves before they can start to shoot (or they've to shoot with one hand), and the guns moves almost backwards during the launch.

@++

zads27
08-13-2002, 01:56 PM
Interesting concept, but I think speed training combined with the launch would prove the concept to give a real advantage. A trained runner could still outrun a 'launched' above average runner. I can do most 100yard fields in under 11 seconds (no marker).

Not certain what strategy would work best, but I think you need to concentrate on the weight transfer between the runner's first and second step.
'The race can easily be won or lost in the first two steps.'

AGD
08-13-2002, 02:11 PM
Every team picks their fastest guy to be the front man. Lets say that most of the good teams have fast guys are pretty close speed wise. The AGD Launch can give one team an advantage over another and thats the whole point!

AGD

Army
08-13-2002, 02:35 PM
We have a saying in the military, and it applies here very well. Much of what goes on in the military seems non-sensical to the grunt, and others who are not "in the know". A situation arises and we just shake our heads at what we are told to do, knowing that this is the dumbest thing we have ever heard.

The solution to much of the military's woes is good 'ol GI ingenuity, which can be run the gamut from the sublime (gimme a longer MRE spoon) to the incredible (The M1 Tank can do what?).

So, we always say: "If it's stupid but works, is it really stupid?"

Gitaroo Man
08-13-2002, 11:57 PM
lol, nice launching the player

Jack & Coke
08-14-2002, 01:12 AM
:D j/k

P8ntballerAK
08-15-2002, 07:02 AM
Ok that last one is not funny, its downright rude. anyhow Tom you should try using a players legs to do th launch.have have a back player sit down and put his feet on the front players behind, this way both players can have their barrels on the wall. then on the break the back player extends his legs and jetisons the front player forward. Ill bet you gain another 1 or 2 strides, and the backplayer can still sweetspot on his but and while he is standing. no time lost and the launch should be more effective. Talk about hokey though.

cphilip
08-15-2002, 08:02 AM
OK so now we dress em in Clown suits. And then at least when the other team gets beat they can say with certainty "We got beat by a bunch of Clowns" http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/clown.gif

P8ntballerAK
08-15-2002, 03:55 PM
no,seriously phil...
Its a good idea, I am gonna try it if I ever get to the field.

Paintchucker
09-26-2002, 11:56 AM
For those of us that weren't here last month, can we get the pictures and videos put back into the system so we can see it too???

Thanks!

omni
10-03-2002, 03:50 AM
ditto :D