PDA

View Full Version : My Autococker Experience

dre1919
08-13-2002, 09:32 AM
My team and I entered a three man tournament this weekend and did pretty good, we finished fourth out of seven teams. This wasn't too bad since the line-up we had had'nt played tournament ball together in two years! Anyway, I shoot a Hyperframed RT and just as I was getting ready to go in a game the tiny o-ring in my crossfire compressed air tank blew out! I sat my baby down and took the tank off, but problem was we were due on field in seconds. I needed a gun fast! Luckily, we were there around some very cool players and a guy walked over and loaned me his Autococker for as long as I needed it.

This was a standard WGP Autococker with some aftermarket parts such as a Dye frame, Dye barrel, different ram and three way, etc. Not a bad set-up really, and it certainly looked nice. Anyway, so I hustle out with it in tow and get down to business. I play forward so I'm runnin' to the flag pull with this cocker. (I've never shot one of these before in my life.) I thought this was pretty cool because I made a decision years ago to go with AGD over WGP when I did research on the two markers. My work was certainly rewarded by going with AGD. While the cocker shot well, I was kind of amazed at how ordinary it was. I mean, it was roughly a standard cocker and I'm used to my Hyper'd RT, but it still was a little amazing.

I thought with as much as people buy these and are so "cocker this and cocker that" it would just be awesome. It wasn't. I'm not trying to bash cockers in any way, they are nice, but IMHO give me my Mag ANY day over one of those. The funny thing was I'm so use to the heinous rate of fire I can get with mine that once I went to this cocker with the hinge trigger I felt like I was trying to merge on the highway in a '76 Pacer with an orange door! ;) This example really showed two great things in life:

1. Don't believe the hype.
2. What you've got now is more than likely better than
what's out there. I felt like my RT was like a wife,
the cocker a girl that wanted to go out and there I was
considering it, then all of a sudden I snapped back to
reality and went home glad to have what I have.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that as some AGD spirit. Again, not bashing cockers in anyway, they are nice and in the hands of people who love them and shoot them a lot they're just as good. But, ...I'm glad I have my RT. :D :D

ezrunner
08-13-2002, 10:18 AM
I like paintball guns, the
mag's and cockers in particular.

That said, the cocker and
the mag shoot differently.

If you had shot an uprising,
the hyperframe on a cocker,
I think you would have been
very much at home and had
more to say about your experience.

I feel better shooting a cocker
as far as not chopping paint
and being more consistent.

I did just get lvl 10 and am
working on a hyperframe so that
may change.

-rob

dre1919
08-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Oh yeah, I agree. See, I used to own a 68 Automag and shot it for more than a year. It didn't have any elctro assistance on it so I know exactly what the stock Mag and stock RT feel like when they shoot. That was what I was comparing the cocker to. Of course, my Hyperframe is going to give my RT a much different feel. I think it would be pretty interesting to see what the cocker with a uprising on it would feel like. The point I was trying to convey was the cocker wasn't really for me, but to each his own. :D

bigsarge72
08-13-2002, 10:48 AM
I've always told people: Neither gun is better than the other. They are both great guns, and in the end, it all comes to personal preference.

sarge

rudy
08-13-2002, 11:17 AM
You are definately right. I was once almost hyped into buying a cocker. I was setting up to blow 1500 - 2000 on a custom wildside cocker by JD a while back. everyone talked about how great they shoot. then I finally got a chance to play with one. well I just didnt see what was so great. I was new then and since then I have learned alot. I have found that in general the people who hype it up, do not have a good steady grip and aim. so the weight and kick of the cocker make it easier for them to keep the gun on target. also I find it a little easier to achieve 1 to 2 fps better consistency with a cocker then many guns. so for the average guy its better consistency, So to a person who does not hold a gun very firmly or aim steady. a gun with more kick bouncing around seems incredibly less accurate. so they will be inclined to preach the hype with more intensity

Top Secret
08-13-2002, 02:03 PM
I now shoot both the Emag and a VF Cocker. Both are great guns. I still love my Emag more. :)

It's all preference. Don't buy the hype. I was full well aware of what I was getting with the cocker.

ezrunner
08-13-2002, 02:04 PM
My shooting background includes
PPC, IPSC, Bowling Pins, and
Steel Plates.

I am used to recoil and the
need for accurate, timely
follow up shots.

That being said, if a gun
is lighter, does the same
job, and makes my job easier,
then I am going to prefer it.

Until Lvl 10 (I haven't tested
yet, but I have one) my cocker
was much easier on paint than
my mag. The cocker was also
easier for me to shoot a 'rope'
of paint with.

I'm not bashing or hyping either
marker.

My point is that if someone
has a lighter gun or a gun
that is easier to shoot well,
then maybe that isn't a bad
thing.

We have enough machismo with
trying to hit each other with
our balls really fast.

There is no need to make the
"I can carry a heavier gun"
or "I have to hold mine
harder" argument.

It boils down to shooting a
gun that works for you.

I got lucky, I settled on
the 1911 for most of my
regular shooting sports.
Then lo and behold, the 45
frame became very popular
with paintball. Now I can
put hogue grips on all
my guns :-)

-rob

50 cal
08-13-2002, 03:56 PM
I have a 'cocker. Would rather use my Emag though. The cocker is a good reliable gun(not marker) but gimme my Mag 1st.