PDA

View Full Version : T.K. Why did you "give" the Level 10 to the world?

luke
08-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Just curious why you didn't patent the anti-chop bolt idea? Were you just being generous, like you were with the Power Feed?

HoppysMag
08-13-2002, 09:44 AM
well you see tom invents and devolopes to help the world of paintball as aposed to some un named companys who do it to get rich... ( im sure thats second or third in toms list of reasons):D

AGD
08-13-2002, 09:46 AM
We have a year to patent it but in general it's designed for our marker only.

AGD

Oregon_pb_
08-13-2002, 09:57 AM
patents costs ALOT of money, and time as well.

FeelTheRT
08-13-2002, 10:03 AM
there really isn't any point in patening the level 10... It's strictly for the Automag's blowforward design. Most other markers already have the ability to not chop paint by just simply adding a LPR.

bigsarge72
08-13-2002, 10:52 AM
There is sort of an anti-chop cocker, it's called a Free Flow. I know, it's not really the bolt, but the results are the same (mostly). :)

sarge

cphilip
08-13-2002, 12:11 PM
Last I saw he was charging for it!!!! :D

mike e
08-13-2002, 12:43 PM
more then just free flows are anti chop, if you give me a new spring kit, a drill press, and maybe a lathe i can make any cocker not chop paint. its all balencing spring and valve combo, that way when you get the lightest possible hammer spring in there, you can drop the recocking pressure way down. its a common misconception that the bolt on cockers is what effects cocking force, not true entirly its the spring in the hammer that has more of a direct effect. lighten the spring, lighten the pressure on paint;)

banzaimf
08-13-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by mike e
.... i can make any cocker not chop paint. its all balencing spring and valve combo, ....

Not entirely, you can gain simliar effect with hand tuning of rams and 3 ways as well. Work done in these areas can take the place of a light spring setup, to a point.

The first cocker I built was setup to pinch via hand honing the 3 way and the ram. This was a 94 or earlier cocker on stock ram and 3 way. Rock reg though :)

I guess what I am trying to point out is that springing setup will get you a ways towards pinching, and good pneumatic tuning will get you a ways towards pinching. The combo of both (Freeflow) is a recipe for happiness.

sniper1rfa
08-13-2002, 01:11 PM
actually there is other gun the LX's idea can be adapted to with little effort, the mayhem. i have already made a prototype and nicad made himself one that works great. it basically just uses the idea of a two stage throw and a small and big piston. thats about where the similarities end though, hell the guns closed bolt...

i am designing a new mayhem (V3) that will incorporate it and may be produced if i get TK's permission.

nippinout
08-13-2002, 01:30 PM
I'm sure that the patent can be granted, BUT there is prior art with the exact same principles.

A 2-stage ram was brought to the Tinker's Guild a while back by Have Blue. It uses a step in piston diameter to change the amount of 'push' on it.

http://airsoldier.com/~haveblue/antichopram4.jpg

^^^
Have Blue's design.

As for defending the patent, I don't think it could contest other manufacturers use of the same principle due to prior art. AGD may get the patent, but I doubt that it would hold up in court.

The LVL10 is not exactly like the one Have Blue devised. The one that Have Blue came up with does not use a vent. A more suitable patent would be an application of the 2-stage ram where AGD would patent the venting allowing the bolt to reset without chopping.

We may need manike's expertise input on this. He knows LOTS about patents.

I could be WAY wrong on all this. I tried... :)

luke
08-13-2002, 02:12 PM
I understand the Level 10 bolt is for Mags only. But, couldn't the idea be Patented?

sniper1rfa
08-13-2002, 03:41 PM
he could patent the two stage ram, but i bet a couple companies are already trying to use the idea.

what counts as prior art anyway, prior to the patent of prior to the first solid date during which it can be proved this idea existed?

HoppysMag
08-13-2002, 03:59 PM
well sure but it doesnt matter if its for the mag only, the fact is ANS could make there own LV10 kit and cut into toms profits or make an infierior product and hurt a mags rep( as we have seen in the past)

snakestang
08-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by AGD

We have a year to patent it but in general it's designed for our marker only.

By this I am assuming that Tom has already filed a Provisional application. A Provisional is nothing more then obtaining a date which covers you in case of any infrigement. This application is very simple and cheap. Within that year you have time to prepare a Utility application. A Utility application is where things can get tricky and expensive.

Prior art will only come into play when prosecution of the Utility takes place. If the prior art has been published then it could play a factor in obtaining a patent.

Hope this helps in saying that TK in not going to let someone steal what his group developed.

Chris

luke
08-14-2002, 07:41 AM
Snakestang,

Thanks for the info, you answered my next question...