PDA

View Full Version : A couple of suggestions for testing

Blennidae
08-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Paintball accuracy is supposed to be based on paint to barrel match, and multibore barrels (i.e. Freak, Equation, CP) are the best solution to this. I'd like to see an "average player world" example of this.

I suggest something like a bench mounted marker with the multibore barrel of choice and a single case of paint (any decent brand). Start with the smallest bore, shoot x number of times at given distances, check for spread. Repeat with all bores in the same barrel.

I think this would show what effect barrel to paint match really has. The thought behind the single case of paint is that the "average player" buys a case, and shoots that case thru his/her equipment for the days play.

My second suggestion, I don't really know how to go about doing. I'd like to see someone try to put to rest the whole "flat trajectory" thing. I don't know how you would track the actual trajectory, but we have all heard "gun X shoots flatter than gun Y".

If either of these tests has been done somewhere else and I don't know about it, please direct me to where I can read about it.

automan39
08-17-2002, 08:03 PM
www.paintballtimes.com did a barrel and paint test but not exactly like u described

rhetor22
08-19-2002, 01:39 PM
seems like you would need to shoot a very large number of paintballs each time to flatten out the variables... the direction a paintball goes is so unpredictable..

brodude2002
08-20-2002, 09:50 AM
u might need to do it in an indoor feild, becuase the weather can also be a variable on the paintballs trajectory and accuracy.

-werd
brodude2002

FactsOfLife
08-28-2002, 05:41 AM
Set the markers up in a Ransom Rest on a bench at twenty yards. Do not shoot the paint into a media that would break the paint. Shoot into a media the the paint could pass through and leave a measureable hole. I've seen lots of accuracy tests that show boards covered in paint. I do not see how you can accurately take a measurement off a paint splatter 4 inches wide and actively dripping down the board. Shooting the paint into hanging tin foil might work. The thin type might be light enough to shoot through and it would leave a nice hole. It's also cheap and recycleable. Other high tech way to do it is to get a good digital video camera and film where the paint hits, use editing S/W to determine where the paint hits and extrapolate group sizing from that.