PDA

View Full Version : hey tom, how about an on-line or video tech course

rjvemt1
08-14-2002, 08:18 PM
for those of us who cant make it to a major event for a tech class? just tape the next class, charge 'x' amount of dollars for the tape which is backed up by an e-mail tech question address

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
08-14-2002, 08:23 PM
i'd pay for that

SlipknotX556
08-14-2002, 08:24 PM
So would I.

rehme
08-14-2002, 09:34 PM
i 3rd it

Dayspring
08-14-2002, 09:40 PM
ditto.

BrEaKcYcLe
08-14-2002, 09:45 PM
me 2

Halliday
08-14-2002, 10:53 PM
I would definatly take one.

rjvemt1
08-15-2002, 12:33 AM
maybe even a restricted forum on this web site for techies only! if you attend an tech conference or take the on-line course or the video course, then you get a reg # and your reg# gives you access to the techy forum.

i am tired of the 'airsmiths' at my local field acting like mags dont exsist because they dont know anything about them. i would be more than willing to tell my local field owner that i have completed agd's tech course and that i would be more than willing to talk to any mag owners that have problems that they cant solve(s**t, i'll do it for free). i already do this too the best of my ability, but having the tech course under my belt sure would help validate my diagnosies(thus the'emt' in my screen name).tom, help us spread the word.

i honestly beleive that the next phase in the 'gun v gun' battle is gonna be "e-mag v angel". lets get as many mag techs out in the field as possible.

BetaMax
08-15-2002, 02:33 PM
I have also inquired about this on another thread before it got taken down. My job requires me to be on call and local 24 hours a day so I can't really leave the state without significantly planning ahead, and even then thats hard to do.

It is not so much the certification, it is the in depth understanding of the products that I am after. A video or something of the Tech class that AGD puts on would be benifital.

Concider it a informational video, not a certification video. Since I don't see how AGD could certify people who just buy the video.

But in the end, it is ultimatly AGD's decision to put out a video. I hope they do :)

Sir Chopsalot
08-15-2002, 04:32 PM
i would pay for that

xmetal2001
08-17-2002, 06:14 PM
I dont know if it would be possible, but that would be GREAT.

Jonno06
08-17-2002, 06:34 PM
yea,ide DEFINITLY take one!!!!!

mrhooie
08-17-2002, 06:47 PM
count me in

Omicron
08-17-2002, 07:21 PM
Me wants.

rjvemt1
08-17-2002, 07:25 PM
Concider it a informational video, not a certification video. Since I don't see how AGD could certify people who just buy the video

has enyone taken the 'take home defensive driving course':rolleyes:i know, i know. you have to take a telephone test in-order to get a cert. that is accepted in a court of law!

how about this, a timed on-line test consisting of 10 to 15 technical questions based on the content of the tech conferance vid(obviously),and you get maybe three tries to score, uh i dont know how about 80%.

would do you think the video, the on-line certification and the on-line support for technicians be worth? 100$? i would easily pay 100$ for this package!

rudy
08-17-2002, 08:08 PM
I like the idea of doing it over the phone a totally online course might harder to set up and make secure, maybe have a separate certification for online ones that says hey Im certified just not as high a level as the real certification course.

btw the next war is not going to be just mag vs angel, the matrix is going in there too. the design of a matrix seems to be really fast It could be just as fast as a emag except for recharge on the regulator. my matrix works with a 10 ms forward dwell meaning it just might be possible for the matrix to cycle in 20 ms or less. as well as the low kick. the bolt is the only thing moving and its not very heavy. and where the matrix beats the angel and mag is the way it does not jolt at each shot. the mag does cause ou have to trip the sear and the angel does cause of the snap ring and striking the valve. Im gonna expirement with the angel snap ring to see if i can lessen the kick. the only area the matrix is lacking is reliable and of course its not too efficient, but niether is the mag. and its FUGLY

xmetal2001
08-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Like i said it would be great. But the big problem would be "Tech Quality Control". AGD would probably just get alot of really bad techs, which definatly would help their reputation.

AGD
08-17-2002, 11:02 PM
I could do it as a streaming vid online but remember, the course is about 6-7 hours long and that's a lot of video to stream. Addtionally just taking and passing the course does not make you an official tech, it just means you have received the training.

AGD

SlipknotX556
08-17-2002, 11:06 PM
But still Tom even if it dosent make us "Offical" techs, but we can still help people and our selfes because we had the training.

rudy
08-17-2002, 11:15 PM
what does make you an officail tech? passing a test,,, or more? eating pie?

rudy
08-17-2002, 11:17 PM
also make a dl version I hate streaming. I would rather just get someone to dl it and then set kazza or soemthing to go at it for a couple weeks then get it all right at once

mrhooie
08-18-2002, 12:31 AM
I agree - the Download version with a online test at the end would do it - it would be nice just to have the training

I'd rather go live - but getting from the Far Great White north is kinda tough (and $$$$$)

Damage
08-18-2002, 12:44 AM
Count me in, Please There is no one in a 150 mile radius that knows anything about 'mags or who I would trust to touch my new baby. And Thanks to you Tom For handling the tech call I had a female member of my family make on friday (I was at work) to tech support (There was no one there and he handled it personaly) about sending in a used 'Mag I had just bought. She said he made the whole process so simple in the way he explained it to her without making her feel dumb and that was the nicest call she has ever made to any company. Thank you for the time and effort. you have a customer for life ( And Now I think she will be more than willing to get my Retro valve and LX for Christmas!)

mercury
08-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Count me in too. My local field has nobody who knows a thing about Mags. I would love to be able to help people with their Mags and it surely wouldn't hurt me too much to gain some knowledge for myself. That way, when I get my Xtreme, I'll be set.:D

Omicron
08-18-2002, 10:19 AM
I want the downloadable version, streaming doesn't go well on my computer :(

rjvemt1
08-18-2002, 11:54 AM
i have a gateway that ive had problems with since the day i got it, dial-up aol, and i dont know the difference between streaming vid and downloaded vid. please keep us blue-collar cave-dwellers in mind when you decide how to put this together;).

Dayspring
08-18-2002, 08:26 PM
A streaming tech conf. with somebody near you Tom w/ IM running would be cool. That way we could all ask questions.

the123
08-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Either online, or as a Video/DVD, the tech training is a great idea. As for having some exclusive e-mail or private forum, I think thats bad. I'd want ALL info to be as public as possible. The more people that know the details of the Mag, the better.

HoppysMag
08-19-2002, 11:21 AM
i will admit that i would like to get some or all of the tech training even if i didnt get certified cause now there are a few more mags at my field and i would like to be able to handle any problems that might arise... i mean a video that goes more into depth than the one you recieve when you get you mag would be nice

rjvemt1
08-19-2002, 08:30 PM
I'd want ALL info to be as public as possible. The more people that know the details of the Mag, the better.

this is a very good piont! what i was thinnking of though, is a forum where tech questions get help from people that have also attended the course. so that your questions dont get 53 posts from people who dont really know what they are talking about(and i mean that in the nicest possible way). and also to promote taking the course.

A streaming tech conf. with somebody near you Tom w/ IM running would be cool. That way we could all ask questions

so i guess that streaming vid is live whereas dl vid is prerecorded? is streaming more complicated than downloaded? i really like the IM idea! maybe it should be limited to sertain number of people per conference to prevent the IM getting overloaded.

08-19-2002, 08:38 PM
Maybe not even video why not a written book or book+vid and then u give a test with it. Thats how I became a certified ref. Then to stay certified they have to pass the test once a year.:) Just an idea.

agdemagman69
08-29-2002, 03:08 PM
yeah.... that would kick ***

cphilip
08-29-2002, 03:19 PM
Official Tech is a rather vauge term as there is no National, State nor even an Industry wide standard. In order to be a Certified Tech of any truw meaning you would have to set standards and develope a means of testing to this standard. And then even go so far as to pass legislation establishing this and how the standards would be administered. State by State or nationaly.

Now in the case of working for someone or one particular Marker manufacturere then the employer/manufacturer is "Certifying" you are qualified. Some marker companies do this. For only there own.

You can claim to be one if you wish at this point as there is no law against it. But your credentials may be challenged as to what they mean. And no one will stand behind them but you.

Some day but in the far distant future there may be set standards.

agdemagman69
08-29-2002, 03:53 PM
But it would still be nice to have a class so you knew what you were doing

rjvemt1
08-30-2002, 09:04 PM
upidy up up up!

Psycho Chicken
09-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Well being a former mag owner and looking forward to becomming one agin, i would like a class or three. By the way, does the extreme come with a video like the old mini mags did?

paintball8869
09-03-2002, 12:45 PM
give this a try. PTI certifies techs on all major markers.
http://www.paintball-pti.com/

I'm personally hoping they will come up to NJ or MA (MA preferrably, but i'm assuming they'll be at NJ with National Paintball when they make it out this way). I can currently repair a number of markers, but I don't know everything about them. From what I've heard from techs in my area, this is the place to go.

paintball8869
09-03-2002, 12:47 PM
ooooooooor. You could probably go to Illinois (i believe that's where AGD is located) and bug the heck out of them til Tom lets you in to work with the techs there :) That would be a great way to learn the different mags, from the guys that know them inside and out. If i could do that i definitely would.