PDA

View Full Version : question for comp ppl POLL

DYE-BaLLeR
08-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Ok, i have two options. first, heres my situation. i have a usb dsl modem, but i need to hook up my playstation 2 to the dsl connection. with that said heres my options.

OPTION 1
I would buy cat5 patch ethernet cable and a network card, both are about $14. install the network card into an open pci slot. then put the ethernet cable into the network card and run it to my playstation, not completley sure if this will work, if someone could inform me, itd be great. TOTAL PRICE==== $28

OPTION 2
I would save up for about 3-4 weeks, upgrade to an ethernet dsl modem and then buy an ethernet cat5 patch cable and run it from the back of the modem to the playstation2. TOTAL PRICE==== $139

I am thinking about option one becuz if it duznt work,im out $14 cuz i would still have needed the $14 cat5 patch cable so i only wasted money on the network card. but if it works, i save myself $125 bucks. so the question is, would you gamble a little time and $14 to save urself $125? if so, pick option one. If not, go with option 2.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

danEboy
08-15-2002, 10:31 PM
I voted for opt.2

Here's why --

#1 To route through your computer either requires an os capable of such things w2k/xp/linux/bsd, or routing software such as winproxy/solidshare whatever.

a. Requires knowledge of how to install and configure these services.

b. consumes extra power / It must be on for you to use it.

c. relies on your computer to be stable.

d. Adds unneeded latency to your conection

#2 A standalone modem/router allows you to hook up more devices to the internet. Computer, game console, LAN party, etc.

#3 Generally less of a pain in the backside. If your computer goes down then no connection remains.

My $0.02

Dan

DYE-BaLLeR
08-16-2002, 05:12 AM
thanks dan, i think im just gunna save for the new modem. but i have another question. on ethernet dsl modems isnt there an ethernet jack in the back of the modem, like a 1port router?

danEboy
08-16-2002, 08:34 PM
The Short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that it depends. Some models only have one port. Other models have more than one.

Which model are you considering? The answer to that question will clear up the others.

Be aware that not all dsl modems have routing/bridging capabilities.

Dan

paintbattler
08-17-2002, 02:42 PM
i say netowork card..im not sure though

xmetal2001
08-17-2002, 06:08 PM
I say option 2, no real techical reasons, mainly just because i dont like USB modems.

Reo5th
08-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by danEboy
I voted for opt.2

Here's why --

#1 To route through your computer either requires an os capable of such things w2k/xp/linux/bsd, or routing software such as winproxy/solidshare whatever.

a. Requires knowledge of how to install and configure these services.

b. consumes extra power / It must be on for you to use it.

c. relies on your computer to be stable.

d. Adds unneeded latency to your conection

#2 A standalone modem/router allows you to hook up more devices to the internet. Computer, game console, LAN party, etc.

#3 Generally less of a pain in the backside. If your computer goes down then no connection remains.

My $0.02

Dan

I disagree.

First:
I assume if he is using a USB modem he is using windows 98 or higher. I have configured Microsoft’s ICS (internet connection sharing) on Windows 98, Windows me, Windows 2000 Professional, and I currently run ICS on XP Professional. You don’t need any special software/computer knowledge to configure ICS; it is built into Windows.

Second:
I’ll share my knowledge of how to install and configure these services.
a) Install card.
b) Windows will recognize you have 2 network cards installed and allow you to enable ICS.
c) When you view properties for “Local area connection” you click a check box that says “Enable ICS”.
d) Restart computer.

Microsoft hasn’t changed it for the past 4 mainstream operating systems.

Third and fourth:
I agree that it consumes more power but think of it this way: If he simply buys a new modem, he can serve internet to only one device at a time. If someone in his house wants to use the DSL modem while he’s dueling it out on his PS2 – they can. As for latency goes, a direct connection between two computers via patch cable only sends packets when they are requested. Routers starve connections (routing switches do not; however they are VERY expensive.)

Fifth:
Any LAN geek will tell you that it sucks playing through a router. Using his cheap $28.00 Solution, he could get a 10/100 24 port 3com switch off of eBay for around $50.00; still cheaper than buying a new modem and a router.

And Finally:
This is a cheap alternative to blowing $139.00 on an unnecessary item. There are no problems with stability, (and if the computer goes down – you can always plug the connection directly into the ps2.)

Anyway – either way will work fine. If you don’t feel very comfortable with networking (this is always a good time to learn!) a new modem + router is a VERY good solution. It is cheap and very simple. I’ve worked with both and have found that they are equally effective, but if you want to spend your money on other stuff – it is perfectly easy to set up option one.

Reo5th
08-17-2002, 06:56 PM
duh....nevermind - i'm not sure how good it'll be sharing with a usb modem. I'd get one that works with CAT5 no matter what.

personman
12-31-2002, 02:39 PM
Um, assuming your modem is dialup, trust me, you dont want to play ANYTHING online without a better connection..
Dialup is evil :(

SpongeBobSquarePants
12-31-2002, 02:44 PM
Well I'm using a USB cable modem, and it is not to great for sharing anything. I dont have a network card in my pc so i have to use the usb opition. your not gonna have alot of luck sharing over usb you will need to use network cards I'm sure that your modem should have a slot for a line to a network card but i may be wrong. Also where did you find wireless cards for 14 dollars, btw you will also need a router which run about a 100 bucks for a respectable one.