PDA

View Full Version : Anime Thread

snwbrdr913
08-16-2002, 02:01 AM
Those of you reading my Initial D thread.. I opened this one so people had a place to talk about it freely

dre1919
08-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Ummm...okay. Are you meaning this to be a thread talking about what anime we like? If so, mark me down for Robotech. It's oldschool anime, and it was (still is) the bomb. I remember watching that in first U.S syndication in '86. Hell yeah...fourth grade rocked.

Sinnet
08-16-2002, 12:16 PM
i just started watching it, but i'm a big fan of yu-yu hakusho (sp?)

DarkOre
08-16-2002, 06:18 PM
I just got the escaflowne box set and thought that was good.

FrAuStY
08-16-2002, 06:48 PM
We ALL KNOW VOLTRON is still the best Anime around! Nothing compares to the almight power of voltron, as for movies.. it's have to be Ninja Scrolls

HoppysMag
08-16-2002, 06:50 PM
cowboy bebop!!... i also like yu-yu hakusho (sp?)

Gitaroo Man
08-16-2002, 07:40 PM
cowboy bebop rules! and the first few episodes of Trigun too

Gotenks
08-16-2002, 08:20 PM
I like dragon ball

I have the special tin can edition AKIRA.... one damn good movie.

Initial D is the mother *EDIT*, snwbrder knows it.

I like those mech-animes like robotech and GUNDAM.... but gundam has some strange *EDIT* ..and a free gift of a temp ban. Shame on you Gotenks, you know better. Army in it.

If none of you have watched initial d, you get like whole seasons for $40 bucks, a damn good deal, like over 20 episodes.

HoppysMag
08-16-2002, 08:25 PM
Gundam is good too!!:D

einhander619
08-16-2002, 08:38 PM
If you guys want weird mecha, try some of the Neo-Genesis Evangelion stuff. So weird... Ghost in the Shell is my fav, followed by Akira in close second. As far Initial D, I really want a Hachi-Roku!

FooTemps
08-16-2002, 09:36 PM
NGE = my fave robo anime. Even though they aren't really robots but genically engineered pilotable angels/humanoids

I've been downloading all of the Yu Yu Hakusho I can find but I'm giving up and buying/renting the last episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho... I WANT TO SEE YUSKE BEAT TOGURO!!!

Gotenks
08-16-2002, 10:02 PM
you know you are like the biggest yu-gi-oh fan, 1000's of cards and all :p :o :p

FooTemps
08-16-2002, 10:24 PM
Bah! Yu gi oh sucks! DIGIMON ALL THE WAY!!! lol

Gotenks
08-17-2002, 12:08 AM
hope your joking lol

anyways, I think "Transformers" (like the O.G. versions and the movie which totally rocks) are american made, but I love it to death.

I wonder if dansim will come in here and rant "AUTOBOTS FOREVER!"

lol

FooTemps
08-17-2002, 12:54 AM
MAN! ARE YOU DISSIN DIGIMON!?!?! :p

lol

snwbrdr913
08-17-2002, 02:12 AM
Fools! Perfect Blue and Initial D! then agian, perfect blue has some crazy *EDIT* Being new here, I will give this one warning. Do not cuss or circumvent the cuss filter, both are against the rules you agreed to follow when you signed up. If you decide to violate the rules again, a temp ban will be given. Army in it.... i mean cmon. Who takes baths in blood wearing whit gloves anyway?

snwbrdr913
08-17-2002, 02:20 AM
Gotenks, on your previous post in my id post, you asked what was better. Grip or drift. Id like to say now that a famous quote from the lead driver of the NightKids (Takeshi) is "Drift driving can never defeat grip driving". He was propmtly beaten in his 32 by Takumi in his treuno. That is all

Arturus
08-17-2002, 02:32 AM
Macross and the Robotech series... Vampire Hunter D... Akira, and Ghost in the Shell.

Gundam and Dragon Ball, DBZ... Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

Tired, so I'll come back when I can remember more of my favorites.

:o

Sinnet
08-17-2002, 10:16 AM
you fools!

you all got me hooked on inital D... I'm watching as fast as kazaa can download, completely hooked. Amazing cartoon.:D

Will Wood
08-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Any of you seen Vampire Princess Miyu??

Gotenks
08-17-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by snwbrdr913
Gotenks, on your previous post in my id post, you asked what was better. Grip or drift. Id like to say now that a famous quote from the lead driver of the NightKids (Takeshi) is "Drift driving can never defeat grip driving". He was propmtly beaten in his 32 by Takumi in his treuno. That is all

It is a fictional cartoon.

That is all.

Truthfully though, on NORMAL race tracks, hundreds of tests have been done by japanese race teams (professional not street racers) and grip is outdoes drift.

They do however, have "drift" race tracks in japan, which are very compact and are nothing but turns, no straight aways or anything, and drift pretty much dominates there, cause your constantly drifting, instead of braking and turning as you would with grip driving.

But no one here has seen the american animation "Transformers: The Movie" ? I have to say its quality was up there with many japanese anime movies

also, here is a video of some of japans top drifters, drifting at one of these drift tracks
http://www.77ch.com/yokohama/2002d1_b.asx

lillfroboy
08-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Here is my list

#1 Akira
#2 yu-yu hakusho (dubbed)
#cowboy bebop ( dubbed)
#4 DB, DBZ, DBGT

If any body here has a streamload.com account just as soon as i get my account updated ( in about a weel or to)

I have every DBZ episode, Every Outlaw Star Episode, Every Cowboy Bebop, Every Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop the Movie "Knocking on heavens door", all the Rama 1/2, and some more but i cant remember all total in my account is 49.1 GB its alot but all you have to do is just download and burn to a CD-RW ( CD-R wont work with the Avi files for some reason) and your set to go

Jonno06
08-18-2002, 03:45 PM
pokemon...

LittleKrems
08-18-2002, 06:22 PM
COWBOY BEBOP!!!!! and of coarse evangellion

N8DOG
08-18-2002, 08:13 PM
VOLTRON RULED, both the lion one and the car one.

rjvemt1
08-18-2002, 08:34 PM
well, if your talkin about a series then it would be 'cowboy beebop' and 'ranma 1/2'(hay, if i turned into a 16 year old girl every time i got into a hot shower id never leave the house:D)

if your talkin about movies then it would be 'ninja scroll' and 'princess mononoki' and maybe 'vampire hunter d'

nospmas311
08-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Coyboy Be-Bop rules and kicks most anime's *EDIT* Do not cuss here. Being new, this will only be a warning, don't do it again. Army except for OVA's of Kenshin.

HoppysMag
11-30-2002, 11:46 PM
new favorite, inuyasha!

Cliffio
12-01-2002, 02:48 AM
princess mononoke was pretty good, gundam is ok, i actually watch yu gi oh or whatever, its good:) i like pokemon too, and im almost 21, but its still fun to watch

Cliff

FooTemps
12-01-2002, 03:13 AM
Amazing how no one has mention escaflowne... lol... i remember watching that series in 98 when I understood nothing about it... Then people starting asking me burn some avi files of the escaflowne episodes... hahaha... Now I watched it again and I understand it now!

Yu Gi Oh isn't as bad as I thought... Silly, corny, and childish, yet not as bad a pokemon...

I hate dubbed anime... lol

DarkOre
12-01-2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by DarkOre
I just got the escaflowne box set and thought that was good.

I mentioned it.

Xerces
12-01-2002, 08:43 AM
when i was younger i used to like voltron and transformers. those were the days =) now if im up in time and i got nothing better to do, ill watch cowboy bebop. and a few years back i thought some of the gundam series were cool, but only the UC ones(gundam wing was gundam at its worst).

Will Wood
12-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Yu Yu Hakusho rules.
Outlawstar and Cowboy bebop are good too.
Watched escaflowne at a freinds house one night, she bought it earlier that day. It was a rip off...I think it costed like 30 bucks or so. It was good, but not worth the price.

Yu-Gi-Oh is just awful..

RetroEclipseMan
12-01-2002, 01:51 PM
I haven't really been into anime that long but have started to get into it a bit. I was pretty impressed with princess mononoke and grave of the fireflies. The animation alone is great in them.

Koosh
12-01-2002, 02:24 PM
Ive recently just got into Anime... Until our cable company picked up the Cartoon Channel, I thought all anime was the Pokemon, Digimon, and crap like that... then I stumbled on Cowboy Bebop... thats just saweeeeet!

Now I try to make it a point to watch all of Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network. Yu Yu Hakusho is sweet, along with the Cowboy Bebop and gundum.

I had started to watch DBZ like 2 years ago, but then faded... I just recently got into it again a month or two again and am watching it religously now!

Not related to anime, but on the Adult Swim on the cartoon network you guys ever see the show "Sealab 2021"? SWEET JEBUS that show is funny. You wouldn't expect from just flipping channels, but if you get a chance watch the show it is SOOOO messed up!

FalconGuy016
12-01-2002, 02:33 PM
I have an ear infection

Trench
12-01-2002, 02:45 PM
Falcon, I think you have been warned before for spamming...

Gitaroo Man
12-01-2002, 02:49 PM
I never really watch Anime but I like Cowboy bebop A LOT and the first like 5 or so episodes of Trigun

Xzion
12-01-2002, 04:12 PM
I don't particularily have favourites, I like all sorts of Anime, Japanese anime at least; 'American Anime' is lousy IMO. some of my favourites are as follows, and not in any particular order.

I like practically all the north americanized ones (digimon etc)so no real point going through and listing them all, though as for more obscure 'imports' that havnt yet been mentioned.

-Dirty Pair Flash
-Bubblegum Crisis
-Ruin Explores
-Icezelion
-Battle Angel
-Slayers

just to name a few that havn't already been listed :)

*EDIT* oh, thought id add this; a great place to find Anime PC desktop images: http://animewallpapers.com

Vegeta
12-01-2002, 07:07 PM
What is up with you anime people and cursing! I count four edits with one temp ban in this thread!

Jeez.

cheetah256
12-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TheFlamingKoosh
Not related to anime, but on the Adult Swim on the cartoon network you guys ever see the show "Sealab 2021"? SWEET JEBUS that show is funny. You wouldn't expect from just flipping channels, but if you get a chance watch the show it is SOOOO messed up!

i'd have to agree with you there...aqua teen hunger force is also superb :D

and for anime, the patlabor movies were great..also ghost in the shell...

12-02-2002, 05:45 PM
i like lain, and boogiepop phantom. (kinda on the twisted side). grave of the fireflies was a good one, and will make just about anyone sad (watching 2 children starve to death over the length of the movie). kite, ghost in the shell, akira, gin roh, and twilight of the dark master were also good.

darklord
12-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Big fan of Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ninja Scroll here! I've heard Akira and Ghost in the Shell are "classics", but I have yet to watch em.

FooTemps
12-02-2002, 09:45 PM
hmmm... so many good anime i keep forgetting to mention... oh well... lol

Who's seen X? I still haven't seen it... :(
The japanese tenchi series was good.
um... yah... lol... I liked slayers a lot...
psshhh... everyone mentioned a lot of stuff... i dunno what i can list...

VBmag87
12-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Some of my favorites are DBZ,Inuyasha,YU-YU Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam, outlaw star also.

DarkOre
12-03-2002, 06:08 PM
I have seen X, it was good but depressing.

gibby
12-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned Gunbusters...but that was a good mech flick.

than205
12-03-2002, 09:46 PM
I remember Star Blazers as pretty cool. Way back in the day.

joeyjoe367
12-05-2002, 02:48 AM
After watching the entire Evangelion series, Akira, and then Princess Mononoke, I have come to the conclusion that Japanese animation is weird. Story-wise, at least.

You can hardly call it a "cartoon"

12-07-2002, 12:23 AM
grave of the fireflies was so much more depressing than x

i forgot to mention flcl as one of my favorites, another one on the wierd messed side.

emeraldis
11-20-2003, 12:07 AM
[FONT=courier new][COLOR=green]
I hope you know, if you talk about anime, I will flock to the topic. I must say, though being a young female teenager, I am nothing less that a huge anime nerd. Already been to a convention, already have cosplay, and already have complete merchandising sets.

I suppose you could say it's a little sad.

No less, my favorites include: Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Fooly Cooly (Furi Kuri), Fruits Basket, Onegai Teacher, Gundam Wing, Argento Souma, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dragon Ball (Z, GT to some extent) , Sailor Moon, Tenchi (In Tokyo, Universe, Muyo), Chobits, Onegai Teacher, Love Hina, Ah! My Goddess, Final Fantasy, Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, and the list goes on. -For a very long while.

Ah, anime/manga. My love! Oh, just sitting here, I could quote and act out so many episodes. [Sigh.]

(Starts quoting)
We really do appreciate you lending us bus fare!
Huh? What are you talking about?

---I should stop before I kill all of you.

Ironmag
11-20-2003, 09:24 AM
Ever since I went to an Anime convention this past summer, I've been hooked.

Here is what I've watched and liked them all
Series: Onegai Teacher, Onegai Twins, Matantai Loki Ragnarok, Final Fantasy Unlimited, Chobits, Full Metal Panic!, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Escaflowne, Love Hina, RahXephon, Scryed, Angelic Layer, Witch Hunter Robin, Devil Lady, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Card Captor Sakura and .hack//SIGN.

Movies: Death and Rebirth of Evangelion, End of Evangelion, Escaflowne The Movie, Grave of the Firefiles, Voices of a Distant Star, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Akira, Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust.

Not really an Anime series, but it comes from one: Sailor Moon - Live Action. It's addicting to watch.

Thordic
11-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Where the hell are all the pictures of japanese girls and tentacles? God this thread is such a waste... I was expecting tentacles...

Will Wood
11-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Thordic, your scaring me. Never mention that again.

Naruto has become my favourite Anime now. I impatiently wait each week the manga and anime.

I'm into Full Metal Alchemist as well, that's a pretty recent one.

Other than that, I usually only watch what is on TV or what one of my anime obsessed freinds has. (Ceres, Miyu, YYH, lots of other stuff)

I also have lots of random manga/anime on my computer.

jdev
11-20-2003, 10:21 AM
mmmm.. anime.

i dont consider myself a huge fan of anime, but I watch lots of it, mainly late night on cartoon network. things such as inuyasha, fooly cooly, trigun, and big o.

other stuff thatI dont watch on cartoon network are pretty limited to ranma 1/2, record of lodoss war (kinda like LOTR, check it out) and la blue girl. la blue girl has tentacles i think thordic. its been a while since ive seen any of the episodes.

anywhoo, yea, anime is great. better than the regular old garfield and heathcliff cartoons, which by thier own right, rocked.

Sir_Brass
11-20-2003, 10:25 AM
emeraldis . . . watashi wa mo otaku desu! :p hope you've seen enough fansubbed anime to MAYBE get that :D. I'm right with you: I LOVE anime. I'm big into the fansubbed anime, so I like a ton of series which alot of you are only starting to hear about now or haven't heard of at all, anyway here's the list of anime that I like.

Stellvia of the Universe, Full Metal Panic, Digimon (fansubbed. dub sucked royally), any and all Miyazaki movies, Full Moon wo Sagashiite (there is no actual double ii's. the additional i was inserted so as to get around the cussing filter which mistakenly assumed a cussword when there wasn't), Witch Hunter Robin, Hellsing, Nadesco, NGE, Record of Lodoss War, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, Vandred, Vandred: Second Stage, Vampire Hunter D, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Nadia, Love Hina, Ah! My Goddess, Akira, Amitage III: Polymatrix, Armitage: Dual Matrix, Sentou Yousei Yukokaze, Blue Sub Six (subbed), Gundam 08th Mobile Suit Team (favorite Gundam series, though I like most of them except Gundam SD), Metropolis, Grave of the Fireflies, Hoshi no Koe [voices from a distant star], E's Otherwise, Kodacha (short for: Kodomo no Omocha, which means "Childs Toy". you'll never see this licensed due to the difficulty in translating it. only some fansubbed groups have had the willpower to translate this anime), Escaflowne, and that's all I can think of for now :D.

emeraldis
11-21-2003, 10:27 AM
I think I got most of that...

Anime is my thing, man, my LIFE. I watch all of it. Just a day ago, someone gave me a copy of 'Argento Souma' just because they didn't like it.

It's a hard reputation, being the school's 'manga girl', but I suppose it's not as hard as being the 'manga man'. [You reading this, nin?]

Sir_Brass
11-21-2003, 01:56 PM
It's not so bad, especially when you're not the biggest otaku on campus :D. I get most of my stuff from one of the other guys in the anime club here at college. He's the QC and encoder for the fansubbing groups wizzu and anime-source. Thus, he has distro ftp access, and that means he's got LOTS AND LOTS of anime burned to CD-R and DVD-R.

I just got Stellvia of the Universe, The Cat Returns (Miyazaki's latest film. this is AFTER Spirited Away), and Last Exile from him. I have to make time to watch Last Exile, b/c our anime club president HEAVILLY recommended it for me (knowing my tastes), and I saw part of the first ep and was intrigued. I also have other anime in my collection that I have yet to watch, like Azumanga Daioh, and Ghost in the Shell stand-alone.

ShooterJM
11-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Haven't seen much. Mostly Ninja Scrool, Blood, Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop.

Looks like I'm gonna have to go ahead and check out some of these that were mentioned though.

emeraldis
11-21-2003, 10:11 PM
I remember now!

Ummm, k, let's see here, the list shall continue as I remember it.

.hack//SIGN
.hack//LIMINALITY
Ah! My Goddess!
Argento Souma
Armitage
Battle Royale
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Castle in the Sky
Chobits
Cowboy Bebop
Digimon
Dirty Pair Flash
Dragon Ball [Z/GT]
Duel
El Hazard
Excel Saga
Final Fantasy
Fruits Basket
Fushigi Yugi
GateKeepers [21]
Ghost in the Shell
Guilty Gear
Gunsmith Cats
Hellsing
Love Hina
Mon Colle Knights
Naruto
Neon Genesis Evangellion
NOIR
Onegai Teacher!
Outlaw Star
Pilot Candidate
Princess Mononoke
Ranma 1/2
Real Bout High School
Rurouni Kenshin
Sailor Moon
s-CRY-ed
Shaman King
Silent Mobius
Slayers
Speed Racer
Spirited Away
Street Fighter
Tenchi [Muyo, In Tokyo, Universe, No Need For]
Trigun
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Princess Miyu
Yu Yu Hakusho
Zoids [Chaotic Century]

-Poo, I KNOW there are more... they aren't coming to mind...

Ov3rmind
11-21-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm not normally a huge fan of anime, but Neon Genesis Evangelion really "wowed" me. To top if off, The End of Evangelion was probably one of the best movies I've ever seen (anime or live action, from any country).

My friend is letting me borrow his DevilLady DVDs, weird stuff (not really sure how I like it so far).

Pballwizz
11-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Jeez, I feel sad now, I thought I watched alot of anime:( But see, heres my problem, Im only fourteen, and my parents dont want me to see all teh super bad stuff ( id ont really wanna even). Im tryin to build up the nerve to rent Jin Roh cause I heard there is no sexual stuff (right?) but I hear ir's realllllly disturbing and has like images of just..I dunno...bad...so if someone could inform me how this movie is I'd appreciate it. Peace!

badtoyz
11-22-2003, 07:20 AM
My fav's are NGE , Berserk , Outlaw Star , Kenshin , Akira
I have seen a lot just cant rember them all :)

Sir_Brass
11-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Pballwizz
Jeez, I feel sad now, I thought I watched alot of anime:( But see, heres my problem, Im only fourteen, and my parents dont want me to see all teh super bad stuff ( id ont really wanna even). Im tryin to build up the nerve to rent Jin Roh cause I heard there is no sexual stuff (right?) but I hear ir's realllllly disturbing and has like images of just..I dunno...bad...so if someone could inform me how this movie is I'd appreciate it. Peace!

Jin Roh has no sexually explicit content, just like the vast majority of anime out there (contrary to the popular ignorant beliefs). It IS bloody, however, BUT is a very good movie. I bought it on a whim over a year ago and was NOT disappointed.

I'm currently watching Last Exile, and to ANYONE who has access to fansub sites (like downloadanime.org and other places), I highly recommend you download this series. It's not licensed yet, so it's not illegal to download :). VERY VERY VERY good series. Thoroughly loving it. If you liked Castle in the Sky, you'll enjoy Last Exile, as the two are somewhat similar in their 'technology'.

ramennoodles
11-22-2003, 11:51 PM
guess what i like.....

....POKEMON(just joking)

UltimatePaintballer
11-22-2003, 11:57 PM
anime is the stupidest thing ever, in cartoons and porn. :mad:

ramennoodles
11-22-2003, 11:59 PM
not making any sense UP

Brittani, just read your message, yeah, the otaku rep ain't an easy one.

Will Wood
11-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Erm.. no. The porn thing is not in everything. It's a whole seperate category...Hentai. Just avoid what you would call "Porn" and your all set..

UltimatePaintballer
11-23-2003, 12:01 AM
yes it does, its saying anime porn is stupid and those stupid chinese cartoons are stupid

:edit: gotcha wild woody

ramennoodles
11-23-2003, 12:16 AM
1) its japanese
2) What you are talking about is hentai(pervert) which is like animated pornography, some anime does have nudity in it, it is because their culture in japan is much more evolved from ours, they do not find the human body disgusting and a thing to be hidden, but a piece of art.
3) just quit before you dig the hole any deeper.

Sir_Brass
11-23-2003, 01:40 AM
Agreed. You don't have to like anime, but don't go around talking ignorant garbage like that! Anime is as varied and as broad as almost anything out there. A super-genre, if you will. It is not a genre in and of itself, but rather a categorization of all animated media that is created in Japan, of ALL genres. There is the disgusting side (hentai: animated porn), there is ecchi (better categorized as gratuitious nudity ... softcore. NOTHING is purely ecchi, but some series contain ecchi, but not many), there is kodomo anime (children's anime. basically kid shows), there is sci-fi anime, drama anime, romance anime, adventure anime, action anime, mecha anime, occult anime, comedic anime, fantasy anime, etc. etc. etc.

Anime ranges in quality from lowly crap only a cut above american day-time soaps to series and movies that have won awards globally (can we say "Spirited Away" or "Princess Mononoke") for artistic genius, and story-telling brilliance.

ramennoodles
11-23-2003, 01:44 AM
i'm guessing you're a miazaki fan, eh?

Sir_Brass
11-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by ramennoodles
i'm guessing you're a miazaki fan, eh?

hai! boku desu! :p

[translation: yes! I am!] :D

I'm a fan of any high quality anime, which basically puts all things Miyazaki on that list :D.

ramennoodles
11-23-2003, 01:57 AM
pardon my mispelling of *miyazaki* feeling gay, yeah, you still got my cowboy bebop movie and my love hina brittani, bring em on monday, i'm a big fan of almost any mecha, chobits, battle royale, i'm more into mange than anime, but i LOVE them both.

Ironmag
11-23-2003, 06:01 AM
Battle Royale isn't an anime but it is an awesome Japanese movie. Too bad you wont see anything like that made here in the US, but shows how F'd up things could be. I highly recommend this movie.

And I also agree that anime cannot be labled so easily as there are so many different types just like there are "real" shows and movies. It's just an alternative means to get the story across, which frankly does a better job most of the time as compared to "real" shows and movies.

Sir_Brass
11-23-2003, 11:09 AM
That's probably the best explanation of why alot of us like anime, that I've read yet.

I totally agree: I like the stories that are told in alot of good anime. They just can't be told to the same caliber in live action as they can in anime.

Oh, and don't worry about mis-spelling miyazaki. I'm not ever sure the I spelled his name right, LOL :).

Pballwizz
11-23-2003, 12:17 PM
What Manga do u guys have?
I have:
Ranma 1/2 1&2
Gundam Blue Destiny
Shaman King 1

I wanna get some more but money is tight. Peace!

Gotenks
11-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Guys, the best anime I have EVER SEEN!!!

=HAJIME NO IPPO=

Its about 70 something episdoes with 2 movies I think. BUT, it is the best damn anime, I have ever seen, it was just so good, every episode was great.

I have seen tons of anime, and let me tell you, with what Hajime No Ippo was about, I watched it, with my expectations very low. You know why? It's a SPORTS anime, about BOXING.

I was thinking, anime... about.... boxing? Heh, I'll watch a few episodes, and see how silly it is.

I was attached after the first 5 minutes. I am telling you guys, you can look on tons of websites, and it gets great ratings everywhere!

My other favs. : Hellsing, Initial D, Full Metal Panic!, RahXephon

darklord
11-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass
I'm currently watching Last Exile, and to ANYONE who has access to fansub sites (like downloadanime.org and other places), I highly recommend you download this series. It's not licensed yet, so it's not illegal to download :). I hate to tell you bro, but Last Exile was licensed by Pioneer, and it's out on R1 DVD already. I own it, it's very good.

Sir_Brass
11-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I know. I found out it was licensed this morning when talking to a friend of mine who can't download much anime b/c she has a 56k modem (she's still very much the fansubbed otaku :D).

Now that we're talking about licensing, I think I DO remember hearing something about Last Exile being licensed.

My policy is that until those eps are available for me to BUY, then I still support the downloading of the unreleased fansubs. Once they're available for sale from the licensed publisher, then I highly recommend buying them instead.

Support anime: buy the anime once it's available for sale! :)

The one thing I have against "professionally subbed" anime is that it usually closely follows the dub script, and that can get annoying. Personally, I usually perfer the caliber of translation in fansubs if the translators are top notch (you get to know the translators names for different groups if you watch alot). Some translators are decent, other's are pretty good, some are almost legend, and then there are some that make you wonder "Why is this person still ALLOWED to translate for this group!?!?!?!". I've seen all of them, and thankfully the ones with piss poor translators wasn't the only group subbing that series :).

emeraldis
11-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Oops, Monday has gone and passed, Isaac. [Oops...] ANYWHO, I suppose you can borrow that Argento Souma tape that Justin gave me. If I can dig something up that I don't remember owning, I'll let you borrow that too.

Wow, I should make library cards.

ANYWHO, to those of you completely dissing anime/manga, there is no way that you could sit through EVERY single episode of every anime, and walk out of your seat saying that ALL anime is bad. Everyone finds an anime they like.

Besides, the hentai and ecchi material is just there for the sick people who like child pornography that they can't legally get anywhere else. It's not like you are forced to watch the [eep]. Honestly.

Anywho, yes, lots of anime/manga have nudity, but the only reason is because Japanese really have an advanced social community. They have open air baths CONSTANTLY in anime's and such. Even in the childish ones such as Digimon. They are completely naked in the Japanese version, but they edit all this out for paranoid American viewers.

Anywho, I suppose I should go get that stuff for ya, Isaac.

Ironmag
11-24-2003, 08:51 PM
Has anyone seen the new Live Action Sailor Moon series? For some reason everything about it I like, even though it's cheesy. From the theme song to the story and action of it. When I first heard about it I didn't know what to think but I've come to really liking it. If you liked the anime series, check it out.

emeraldis
11-24-2003, 11:33 PM
Live action Sailor Moon?

There is something terribly wrong with that. And yet, I am interested.

FooTemps
11-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Hajime no Ippo is Addicting for some reason that I don't understand.... I've probably watched the series like 3 or 4 times and I'm still not sick of it.

Sir_Brass
11-24-2003, 11:54 PM
I'm the same way with Stellvia of the Universe. I got a hold of it before we finished watching it in club, so I finished it in one day, then couldn't get enough of it. Watched it fully one more time through, then finished it in club, and I'm STILL not sick of seeing it :D. Seen it 3 times all within about 2 to 3 weeks :D.

emeraldis
11-24-2003, 11:57 PM
Man, I can't even remember how many times I stay up watching the same episode of Trigun over and over. When I had to go on a cruise, I actually recorded the audio of the episode on a cassette tape just so I could savor the episode of Trigun.

That I already had all the lines memorized to.

Sir_Brass
11-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by emeraldis
Man, I can't even remember how many times I stay up watching the same episode of Trigun over and over. When I had to go on a cruise, I actually recorded the audio of the episode on a cassette tape just so I could savor the episode of Trigun.

That I already had all the lines memorized to.

Kimi wa hen desu. :p

emeraldis
11-25-2003, 12:01 AM
I know Japanese, but not enough to translate that without the help of trussel.com

Translation please.

Sir_Brass
11-25-2003, 12:05 AM
translation: you're strange :p

emeraldis
11-25-2003, 12:09 AM
You know, I get that a lot.

And here I was thinking you could relate to that, too. Darn you, tainted skull!

FooTemps
11-25-2003, 12:23 AM
Please, don't speak like that again... It's extremely annoying, disturbing, and stupid. I fully understand what you guys say and it's soooooooo annoying... Not to mention it makes you seem like an anime freak that thinks they're japanese because they know like 3 phrases and do that cosplay crap.

Fred
11-25-2003, 12:26 AM
I just saw Hellsing last week... pretty rad Vampire anime...

13 or 14 episode season.

one of my new favs... and its got some pretty sweet hardware as far as firarms go... :D

---Fred

Sir_Brass
11-25-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by FooTemps
Please, don't speak like that again... It's extremely annoying, disturbing, and stupid. I fully understand what you guys say and it's soooooooo annoying... Not to mention it makes you seem like an anime freak that thinks they're japanese because they know like 3 phrases and do that cosplay crap.

First off, no, I don't think I'm japanese. And you're right, I don't know much japanese, but I'm slowly teaching myself. Third, I don't cosplay. I have better things to spend my money on . .. such as paintball.

With that said, I will use little japanese phrases in the ANIME thread to another otaku if I feel like it. Chill out, man. Most of us big anime fans do it IRL, so don't jump on my case just b/c I said it here in the ANIME thread. Geez :rolleyes:.

Also, emeraldis, I actually CAN relate, I just have yet to actually rip the audio track from an episode and put it on cd just so I can listen . . . I just put the OSTs onto CDs and listen to them :D. Heh heh heh, but I can totally understand why you do that :D. There's a reason why I'm kind of slow to burn my anime eps to CD then delete them from the HD: reason being: I like watching them over and over again. If they're on CD, I'm less likely to watch them as much than if they were on my HD :D.

emeraldis
11-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by FooTemps

Cosplay is not crap. -And I don't know too much Japanese, indeed I don't.

Anyone ever been to a convention? [If so, what one?]

Will Wood
11-25-2003, 11:23 AM
My freind almost dragged me down to a general anime conv.. I immediately backed out when I found out it was soley a Yu-Gi-Oh one.

She's a huge anime geek, she's done Iruka from Naruto. (She has the vest and handband) and plan to do Garra, she'll dye her hair red and her other freind will be going as her gourd.

I personally will never cosplay myself lol, unless she cons me into it.

Sir_Brass
11-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Same here. Too many cosplayers are the kind of people I would NOT want to hang around with (scariest was the pic of 5 grown and slightly obesse (sp?? read as: fat) men dressed up as the sailor senshi . . . *shudder* totally disgusting).

I'm perfectly willing to go to a con, though :D. I'd probably work staff, though since my club back home does that alot at the cons they go to (we're usually ASKED to come back b/c we do such a good job of running the video rooms).

emeraldis
11-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Male Sailor Moon cosplayers? There was one at Anime Central 2003, and he was actually a mascot. 'Sailor Bubbah', I do believe. Disgusting: yes. Amusing?: Yes.
Most otaku's do indeed tend to be obese and unhygenical. I'm not obese, the last time I checked. -And you know, I bathe at least every other day.

I think.

Sir_Brass
11-25-2003, 08:53 PM
I'm your other typical otaku: highly intelligent, hygenic (bathe once a day, brush teeth daily, hair well groomed, and yes I do use anti-persperant), lanky, GEEK! :) And yes, I wear glasses as well.

I'm one of those who fill out the ranks of "respectable otaku". the majority are "social outcast otaku" and lower end are the "scary and dirty otaku". thankfully the trashy end is a minority :p.

I may not be the most obsessed otaku (can we say "department of redundancy department"? :p), but I AM very dedicated. Tomorrow I'll be spending a good part of the day in the AV lab helping the campus anime club president burn the club's collection from harddisk memory and CD-Rs, to DVD-R. Why? B/c with DVD-R, you can fit an entire 26 episode series that was encoded in high quality .avi format onto ONE DVD-R. Reduces physical SIZE of collection. easier to keep track of. :) Plus, it's a chance for me to listen to some OSTs that I have yet to listen to :D

emeraldis
11-25-2003, 09:07 PM
I would be your hardcore otaku, lots of friends, intelligent. [If I do say so myself.] And yes, a geek. I have my own social blob of otakus, Isaac included..

ramennoodles
11-25-2003, 11:33 PM
yay! isaac included!

emeraldis
12-02-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm having difficulty composing an X-mas list.
Anyone have any suggestions? [I enjoy all genres.]

Will Wood
12-02-2003, 10:46 AM
YnM - My anime geek freind is really enjoying this one. I think she origanlly bought it simply because a Character in it (Watari) looked like Alex from Ceres... which was on of her obsessions for a while (she gets a new character obessions all the time.)

Yanari no M-something. I think. Not sure of title other than the initials lol.

It's about some gods doing stuff. I don't know, I don't really try to remember the stuff she tells me about it.. since this is generally not to my likings. Too much prettyness/cuteness in it. :p

It would never hurt to get more Naruto. :D

I'm not sure if you can get any DVD's, it's probably too new, but Full Metal Alchemst is cool, I'd recomend that.

I don't know if that list was what you owned our just what you liked. Get ALL of YYH if you don't have it. Make sure you get the unedited version.

Vampire Princess Miyu and Hellsing are two good vampire ones..