PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys, I'm thinking of starting back up

shockman
08-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Been out of the scene for around 5+ years and I am thinking of getting back into it. I have no clue whatsoever of what is good or what is even around anymore. I have owned 2 Automags both CO2, one was a Lvl 7 if I remember right. Anyway I had to get out because of the money situation with starting a new job and now the bug has really been biting me lately. I had one of the first Smart Part Automag barrels and have never shot Nitro. I used to play at Fox River Games and the Old Challenge park.

So if anyone can set me up with some info, I'd appreciate it. I am sticking with Airgun so that should solve some problems. Thanks for the help.

HoppysMag
08-16-2002, 11:16 PM
if the cash is low get a regular mag and a small N2 tank... if you in "OK" shape get a RTPro and a larger n2 tank if your roling in cash get an C&C EMAG, warp, freak barrel, and flatline tank with halo b...:D

great (RE)start up http://www.actionvillage.com/010-1012-1.html add a drop a revvy and a n2 tank and your ready to play

shockman
08-16-2002, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, the cash is no longer low. I'm looking for a setup just shy of top tourney play and I'll check out those that you recommended.

Also is the new Challenge Park the best place to play in the Chicago area now?

Mossman
08-17-2002, 09:35 AM
If you're money situations good I'd recommend a used Emag in the 600 range, and a 68/3000 fiber screw in nitro tank would suit you fine. The stock barrel is actually suprisingly good, but a lapco or all american is a nice step up.

If your not 100% sure this bug is gonna last, get a retro mag. You could probably get one with 2x frame and upgraded barrel for around 400ish.

If you are against buying new, thats totally different, and check out www.ModifiedPaintball.com for the best new prices on everything.

Enjoy!

vf-xx
08-17-2002, 09:48 AM
If you dont' mind used stuff you can get some decent stuff around here. I think RipWiz has a couple of good adjustable tanks at decent prices. I have a SS lapco set that i'm trying to move.

No matter what gun you get you'll most likely need the tank, and a 12v hopper is a must. I reccomend putting an eVil impeller in the hopper. Misc parts can be found at www.dropzonepaintball.com

Like mossman said a used emag is a great way to start. The trigger is truly like nothing else.

TITAN
08-17-2002, 10:22 AM
check out the gun in my sig... every accessorie, upgrade, etc... possible + custom anno and many extra parts worth about 1600 and only used once

shartley
08-17-2002, 10:29 AM
I would also suggest an RT Pro decked to the gills… ;) You will be able to sustain rates of fire that keep up with (and even pass some) the other electric frames on the field. And they don’t have that “toy” look that quite a few markers have now days.. it is super classy, and really gets compliments on and off the field. (feel free to view mine by clicking on the link in my signature)

Of course a new C&C with Level 10 would be nice as well. :D

And yes, you will want a motorized hopper for any of them……

the123
08-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by shockman
Thanks for the reply, the cash is no longer low. I'm looking for a setup just shy of top tourney play and I'll check out those that you recommended.

Also is the new Challenge Park the best place to play in the Chicago area now?

Shockman-
welcome back to paintball. These days electronic guns are abundant in the tourney scene. Something that is just shy of that, all mechanical, RT Pro. The same performance and feel could be had with a used RetroMag also.
If you are looking for that 1 step up, there is no other option but the E-Mag.
Challenge Park is not that great of a place to play, only to visit a couple of times. They have 3 very cool fields and their speedball fields are very well done also. I don't like their organazation of the referees and they force you to watch a 20 min video each time you go.
Fox Paintball is still around and going great too.
Good luck.

Troy
08-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Why hasn't anyone suggested a WARP feed? Get a Warp. It will take a couple of weeks to get used to but you will shoot more people with it.

I also suggest that what ever mag you choose to get buy a Level 10 kit. The Level 10 virtually eliminates chops. It reduces recoil, and will make you run faster :p

Finnally get a barrel set with different bore sizes like the J and J Edge set so you can match your paint and barrel.

Good luck and welcome to AO

oh yeah Badlandz is best place to play in the Midwest.

magman007
08-17-2002, 05:44 PM
hmmm, in the chicagoland area i really reccomend going to countryclub paintball and giving it try. I went out to chicago on vacation, hooked up with the agd techs, went played and had a blast! it was so much fun. It is a great indoor course, tons of angles, and run verry well. Try to find Keith, he knows everything about mags and will talk to you, mention to him that your on ao. Also before you go, give the agd guys a cal, they may wanna come out and play. CC is also where tom does all of his testing and stuff. And if you havnt done it yet, call up airgun and ask for a tour. Tom gives em and hees alot of fun to talk to. Also badlands run by renik miller is supposed to be good, but i herd he can be a bit of an a hole. But i never met him, so i wont judge.

shockman
08-18-2002, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all of the replys guys it makes it much easier to make my decision. I think that I am leaning towards a RT Pro to start, I do know that I will want to upgrade in time but I don't want to get in over my head too fast. The sheer advances that I have seen makes it feel like I've never played the game at all. It is a complete and total learning experience.

shartley, I really like the look of your RT in your sig. That is about where I think I'd like to be. Can you PM the specs to me if you get a chance?

the123, I'm glad to see Swarm and Fox River Games are still around. I remember some of those guys from close to 10 years ago although some names escape me. I remember Sandman (Tim?) and another guy Kirk, Kurt? I think he was one of the captains back then, very nice guy. We played there once when it was 0* outside and we warmed our feet over one of those woodburners. That was a blast.

Are there any good shops in the area? Challenge Games is close to me but sometimes I don't feel as if I get the help when I go there. It's as almost they are trying to talk down to me. Hey, everyone had to start somewhere, I'm just trying to learn all over again.

I agree the video thing at Challenge is a bit overdone.

mercury
08-18-2002, 11:21 AM
The RT Pro is definitely a great choice. You can't go wrong for the price and performance. I had an RT, which is basically the same marker, but a bit older and with some minor differences and I couldn't have been happier. I had to sell it because of the fact that I'm about to deploy for a while with the Marines and rather than have it sit at my house for 7 or 8 months, I decided to take the money for it and stock up on stuff I could do while deployed on a boat, such as PS2 games. Anyways, I picked mine up with 2 nitro tanks (one was brand new), a Dye Aluminum barrel, an Evlution hopper (later bought a Ricochet, which I highly recommend), and a PMI Perfect drop forward, all for $450 plus shipping. I didn't have any problems with it except for chopping issues, which were entirely my fault. I bought a parts kit for it and replaced all of the o-rings just so I could have it performing in tip-top shape even though it didn't need it, but other than cleaning, that's the only time I did any maintenance to it.

Now, I have been having serious withdrawals. What makes it worse is the fact that I drive by my local field everyday on the way to work because it's only about 2 miles away. Every weekend, when I see the cars packed in the parking lot, I wish I'd have never sold my baby. But, I will be back in the game as soon as I get back and guess what marker I'm most likely going to buy? You guessed it, another RT or RT Pro. Then again, if the Emag Xtremes are affordable, I would really like to get my hands on one of them. But, I suppose I'll see when I return.

shartley
08-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Your PM is on the way!

I think you will be VERY happy with your choice. :)