PDA

View Full Version : mags weak?

confedman75
08-18-2002, 01:13 AM
are automags weak? because my tippy stock was 3 lbs 5 oz's it was heavy but it was a strong sucker! i was thinking since a mag is about the same size and has more parts and its lighter i think the emag is like 1 lb 3 oz?!?!?. is a mag a weak gun? is it like aluminum?

MagMan5446
08-18-2002, 01:14 AM
...no.

You really need to think about what you just said right there.

cscar
08-18-2002, 02:16 AM
please clarify what you are trying to say? and no, they don't

a_malfunction
08-18-2002, 08:57 AM
A mag's body is SS... Much stronger than the aluminum that most other guns are made of. And mags are quite a bit smaller than tippmanns. You also got the weights wrong. The Classic mag (Just the body, internals and the trigger frame) is 1.8 lbs. The emag is 3.5 lbs...

Shirow
08-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Everyone knows the more a gun weighs the better it is. That's why I hang 40lb weights off my barrel.

FutureMagOwner
08-18-2002, 11:34 AM
lol

anyway tippmanns are aluminum and arent even the made the strongest way with the aluminum(atleast the 98 and 98c) tippmanns also weight alot more(it seems like it with my mag tippmann and cocker that mag is lightest and tippy is heaviest) and im not sure what you mean by strong but if you mean can it take a hit then yeah they are very strong like most guns

rjvemt1
08-18-2002, 12:19 PM
i used to have a pic of a mag with a bracket welded to the body and it was hanging from a crane with another bracket on the handle. the bracket on the handle had a mazda miata hanging from it! i think i found it on the agd site, so it might be around here somewhere.

FooTemps
08-18-2002, 01:57 PM
dude... people run over their mags with cars to show how strong they are. Then there's AGD and hanging a miata by a mag. Do you think tippman can do that?

confedman75
09-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by FooTemps
dude... people run over their mags with cars to show how strong they are
wow they must be dumb! i wouldnt run over anything that cost me more than 1,000$ just too dangerous

CRASHKING
09-12-2002, 09:04 PM
all mags arent over 1k.infact there is only one kind that i know of and that is the e-mag.extreme,so on.

i heard someone(was on here) say there mag fell onto a freeway(dont ask how) and it still worked as before (as if it hadnt been droped onto the freeway)

CRASHKING
09-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by CRASHKING
all mags arent over 1k.infact there is only one kind that i know of and that is the e-mag.extreme,so on.

i heard someone(was on here) say there mag fell onto a freeway(dont ask how) and it still worked as before (as if it hadnt been droped onto the freeway)

there i fixed it so it sounds beter lol

AcemanPB
09-12-2002, 09:55 PM
yes i remeber this one game we were playing capture the hill, i slipped and dropped my mag (down a rocky hill) it rolled all they way to the bottom, and i just ran down there picked it up dusted it off and played.

really the only thing that can go wrong with a mag is the orings wich will wear down after a while

rjvemt1
10-03-2002, 06:12 PM
nuff said.

personman
10-03-2002, 06:34 PM
HAHAAH THAT IS SOOOO AWESOME!!!
w00t w00t

Brak
10-03-2002, 06:43 PM
make this post classic so everyone can see how awesome that is!!

FrAuStY
10-03-2002, 06:46 PM
I've never seen those before..but all I can say is....I'm picking carpet fuzz outta my bottom lip. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that lol. It's sooo impressive...I saved those pics to my webstorage for future cocker bashing ;)

Ov3rmind
10-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Holy crap in a hat! Now that's durability! Now I wan't a Mag even more (just need to find a way to get a vertical feed Classic)....

confedman75
10-03-2002, 07:10 PM
ssssssssttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeecccccccccchhh hhhhhhh

cphilip
10-03-2002, 08:35 PM
confedman75... a word of advice...your constant attempts to create posts that are sarcasticly bashing Mags has not gone unnoticed by me and many others. As far as I am concerned this is not wanted here. Trying to start a flame war every time you post is better kept to another forum. let me tell you in spite of how smug you may be and think your going over our heads your not that clever. I do not know why you would come here and keep digging to start trouble. We have always been good to you and not jumped you on anything. It's just dam rude what you are doing lately. I not going to humor you much longer. Straighten up and be a part of the group or get out. Hear me?

pbguy888
10-03-2002, 08:46 PM
*cricket*cricket*

Ov3rmind
10-03-2002, 08:52 PM
cphilip lays down the law.....

HoppysMag
10-03-2002, 08:53 PM
you tell em Phill! .

DaosBeoulve
10-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by pbguy888
*cricket*cricket*

Anyone else find that as utterly hilarious as I did?

Oh, just me?

confedman75
10-03-2002, 10:18 PM
cphilip im being serious you know how steel is heavier than aluminum and how steel is much stronger? well i was thinking since that tippmanns were heavier that they were more durable did i say "mags suck compared to tipps"? i did not say that and i did not mean that to come across what so ever. i just asked a question in no way wanting to bash/flame/spam mags. So sorry again if the message came across wrong.

rjvemt1
10-04-2002, 12:11 AM
*cricket*cricket*

aaahaahhahahahhhahaaaahhahahhahah ha!

phil, i have to take serious issue with part of what you said.

Straighten up and be a part of the group or get out. Hear me?

'be part of the group' come on now! [list=1]
mag owners usually are NOT part of THE GROUP
we (agd lifers) can refute all nay-sayers with logic alone. those two pics are 'nuff said'
[/list=1]

FooTemps
10-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by confedman75
cphilip im being serious you know how steel is heavier than aluminum and how steel is much stronger? well i was thinking since that tippmanns were heavier that they were more durable did i say "mags suck compared to tipps"? i did not say that and i did not mean that to come across what so ever. i just asked a question in no way wanting to bash/flame/spam mags. So sorry again if the message came across wrong.

No problem man, we're kinda edgy most of the time anyways... lol

Steel is much stronger than aluminum and that's why the mag is lighter. You can use less steel and still have it be stronger than heavier aluminum body.

Army
10-04-2002, 12:43 AM
Tippy's are die-cast aluminum. This creates a much thicker/heavier wall. Nearly all other aluminum guns are made of aircraft grade aluminum, which can be machined to precise tolerances to become very light, yet incredibly strong due to engineering.

All 'Mags that are not aluminum, are made of stainless steel with aluminum and graphite parts.

Yes, steel is stronger than aluminum, but not because it's heavier, but by molecular structure. Weight has nothing to do with structural strength. If that were true, we would all play with markers made of lead:)

Cast metal has a molecular structure that is very jumbled, much like a crumpled piece of paper. Machined aluminum, has a molecular structure more like a new, flat sheet of paper. There isn't much you can do to cast metal to make it strong, other than to make it thick. It will still be brittle though, as any stress from any direction can interrupt the molecular structure. Machining metal results in a molecular structure that is not unlike a folded sheet of paper, where the folds give the paper rigidity, like a bridge truss.

Since the "grain" of the metal is aligned while being machined, it is able to accept stresses from all directions and attitudes, despite the thinness engineered into the physical structure. The metal remains strong, as long as the molecules continue to be aligned and joined like a chain.

The same properties applies to steel too. This is why the steel 'Mag body can be thin and strong, but the Tippy aluminum body must be thick to be strong.

Not to mention, that much of the Tippy internals are steel and brass, which add to the markers overall weight.

As for graphite, it's structure is a tight chain not only of the plastic itself, but it is interlaced with fibreglass threads which bind the plastic from all directions. Whatever stress is introduced, causes the fibres to grasp in a chain across itself. In other words, If you pull on one side of a graphite structure, the stress is sent throughout the structure. This is how Tom was able to lift the Miata with a plastic frame, the entire frame became the lifting point, not just where the cables were attached. You could not do that with a Tippy frame, nor any other marker out there.

Now, quit saying stupid stuff about 'Mags. Because you too, now know......

steveg
10-04-2002, 06:20 AM
You could not do that with a Tippy frame, nor any other marker out there.
Army you are of course factually correct but your conclusion is wrong.
ultimatly what limits a markers ability to lift a miata, is nothing more that cross sectional area
and thread pullout strength.

to start with a miata weights about 2300lbs not much in the grand scheme of things.

a look at my 26th addition Machinery's Handbook shows that
the weakest permanent mold aluminum has a yield strength of
6000psi (alloy B443.0)

I no longer have a tippmann but I suspect that there is a
greater the 1/3 in/2 continuous section from body to grip

the strongest permanent mold aluminum is 42000psi ( alloy 354)
The most commonly used diecast aluminum is alloy 380 it has
a yield strength of 23000 psi or 10 maitas per 1"x1" bar

6061-T6 the aluminum that is most used in aircraft as well
as being the most common commercially available, has a yield
strength of 40000psi in ather words a 1"x1" bar could safely lift 17.4 2300lb miata's.

cphilip
10-04-2002, 09:00 AM
Thanks for explaining that confedman75. OK I will give you the benefit of the doubt when you show that you realy mean it by removing that offensive hidden message in the black box. I will give you some time to see this message and remove it and then I will have to enforce the rules about challenging the curse filter and such.

shartley
10-04-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
Thanks for explaining that confedman75. OK I will give you the benefit of the doubt when you show that you realy mean it by removing that offensive hidden message in the black box. I will give you some time to see this message and remove it and then I will have to enforce the rules about challenging the curse filter and such.
I was wondering if anything was going to be done with that. ;)

But in confedman75’s defense…. Maybe he is just an incredibly ignorant person? Of course, I don’t know how much of a “defense” that was……. :rolleyes:

wyn1370
10-04-2002, 09:22 AM
quick question. Does anybody know if that's the old frame or the carbon fiber in the car picture?

cphilip
10-04-2002, 09:22 AM
:D Now were the heck is that Sarcastic Smiley? ;)

Shirow
10-04-2002, 10:43 AM
my mag is really weak I chrono it to 285 and yet it only shoots at 123 :( then some spyder comes along with an 18" barrel and shoots twice as far as me! then some cocker comes along and shoots much straighter and farther. I think I'm going to get an angel..

BTAutoMag
10-04-2002, 12:15 PM
lol

my mag has busted through tippmann hoppers that should say something. every A-5 i have seen get a direct hopper hit has broken and i am POSITIVE i was shooting under 300 every time i did it (twice)

SkElL~ObIsSiS
10-04-2002, 01:48 PM
yes that was the stock comnposite grip frame

pito189
10-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by confedman75
i think the emag is like 1 lb 3 oz?!?!?.

If that was the truth, every single pro would be shooting E-Mags no matter who there sponsor was.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but if it that was already said, I apologize.

BTAutoMag
10-07-2002, 12:08 PM
pito: i love the HALO 2 quote in you sig

pito189
10-07-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag
pito: i love the HALO 2 quote in you sig

It's pretty awesome. I can't wait for it(HALO 2) to come out. It is supposed to be like 4 better than HALO.

FooTemps
10-07-2002, 06:54 PM
4?!? MORE LIKE 40 DUDE! Have you seen the trailer yet? (fyi, i posted the link on ao somewhere and I also posted that quote... it never crossed my mind to put it in the sig...)