PDA

View Full Version : Could you use co2 on an rt like THIS!?

personman
08-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Well, could you? :D
Sorry for my crappy editing and stuff

Emagster
08-18-2002, 01:58 PM
well, the reason you cant usa Co2 on an RT is because its inconsistant and will freeze up when firing fast, but I'm sure with all those stabalizers and expansion chambers, it would be fine. but think about this. you have like what 7 things on there and a remote, for the money you spent on all that, you could have gotten yourself a nice nitrogen tank.hmmm, which would be better:rolleyes:

personman
08-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Well, say you had lots of money and you really wanted to use an rt and your field diddnt fill n2?!? :D

MagManOne
08-18-2002, 02:03 PM
lol personman...just stick to nitro. it's actually an interesting thought...

personman
08-18-2002, 02:11 PM
First of all, I dont have an rt, just a mag, and I have n2..
Just wondering.. ;)

misfit
08-18-2002, 02:16 PM
i remember tk saying at one point that you cant use co2 no matter what kind of expansion/reg set up you have. but what the hell give it a shot!

personman
08-18-2002, 02:19 PM
I would if I had the 400 dollars it would take to make that setup. lol

Gitaroo Man
08-18-2002, 02:20 PM
lol, i love the drawing

Cristobal
08-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Interesting... very interesting...

I can think of a couple issues

1.) You'd better hope its a hot day, because you're going to need a lot of pressure in your tank to get through three regulators! -- particularly if you want to feed 800 psi into the rt valve.

2.) I believe the problem with the rt valve and CO2 is that it recharges so fast that it doesn't give the CO2 time to expand. I believe that you will still end up with some CO2 vapor inside the valve no matter what and it is this vapor that is going to cause your freezing problems, even if you aren't actually sucking liquid.

But feel free to try it; just have some replacement o-rings handy. I believe it was Army (could be wrong) that did a test of CO2 in an emag a bit back. Seems like he got a couple shots of singly but then it froze solid in the middle of a burst and ruined a bunch of internal o-rings.

athomas
08-18-2002, 04:34 PM
Nope, do not use CO2 on an RT.

CO2 is almost always fed as gas into any mag valve, even on guns without stabilizers and expansion chambers. The problem with CO2 is that under rapid firing it condensates into droplets. These droplets are liquid. Liquid freezes the o-rings on any mag valve causing them to leak gas everywhere.

The problem with a retro valve over a standard vavle is that it charges so fast. This rapid movement of CO2 through the air passages would cause condensation even during regular single shot firing. The liquid condensation would cause the valve to leak.

CenterFire
08-18-2002, 05:19 PM
Not to kill the thread, but personman!!! you have no hair in your sig pic! Whats going on?!

personman
08-18-2002, 05:46 PM
:<
Dont tell anyone but im bald :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LawFox32
08-18-2002, 09:02 PM
I kinda remember hearing that no matter what you cannot use co2 on an rt, I think it is because partly that it recharges so fast, like stated above and some of the o-rings will freeze-up immediately by the co2 and they would be destroyed, so try it if you want to replace every seal in your RT valve but I wouldn't

nerobro
08-19-2002, 12:28 AM
Freeze up isn't the issue... it's really not the issue in a normal mag either ;-) the reall problem stems from co2 sensitivity to temprature changes. N2 is much more temprature stable... it's pressure doesn't change much per deg of temprature change.

Even with n2's stabilty, you still get shoot up. the valve will operate on co2... but when you take it to the chronograph you're going to be in for a nasty suprise.

CenterFire
08-19-2002, 08:45 PM
but personman, part of the funniness of that old personman flash movie was that fact that personman had lots of hair :)

fastn
08-19-2002, 09:41 PM
IM not sure if this is completely right or not, but this is what i was told by my store owner (whos also AGD certified). He told me that when you run co2 into a rt valves theres a small "pin like" part (i cant remember what its called). But anyways he said when you run co2 though it its warps that piece and will casue the valve to leak until its replaced. Correct me if im wrong (especially TK) id liek to knwo if this is really what happens when the valve has co2 run through it.

ntn4502
08-19-2002, 09:52 PM
personman, have you ever thought about a career as an artist?:D

CockerStopper
08-19-2002, 11:29 PM
if it works let me know i'd like to see it. i live in Ga.
personally looks more suited for jump rope:D

ANTi
08-19-2002, 11:58 PM
i heard that one of the main reasons you cant use Co2 in a retro is because instead of having regular polyurethane o-rins it has teflon ones and the teflon ones won't work with Co2 and the teflon ones were put in because cCo2 isn't supposed to be used...i dot know if this is correct or not...