PDA

View Full Version : Small leak down barrel

Morrigan
08-19-2002, 08:17 AM
Ok, I have the Lvl 10 setup on my ReTro Mag. The rest of the setup is probably irrelevant but for the record... intelliframe, pf left body, preset N2 tank.

I'm using the 1.5 carrier, 2 shims and the middle spring. It works great, no chopping. The only problem is a slight leak down the barrel. It's not a huge leak, you have to put your ear to the marker to hear it or be in a quiet room, but it is there.

I read somewhere else hear about wrench tightening the field strip screw to make sure the valve was properly seated but that didn't work. I tried the next sized carrier but it was to tight. More or less shims had not effect.

Can anyone help me out or am I gonna have to send it in to AGD?

Scott Agnew
Canada

FrAuStY
08-19-2002, 09:46 AM
Try this.. remove all shims...does it still leak? If so..remove the o-ring from the carrier you're using now and put it in the next smaller o-ring (#1).. re-assemble.. leak should be gone. Mine developed a small leak about 300 shots after me trying the 1.5 carrier. I changed to the 1.0 carrier and oil my gun about once every 2000 rds... no problems.. I did however have to increase the velocity. How long have you had the LVL 10 on the gun?

athomas
08-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Hi:

I was the guy with the level 10 emag at the Halifax tourney. I'm glad to see you joined our ranks of level 10 mag users.

How tight is the next tighter carrier and o-ring? When you are putting the o-ring on the bolt stem, it should be fairly stiff. If it is just a slight resistance then it may be too loose. Try the next tighter carrier.

Use plenty of oil, especially during the break-in period.

I'll probably see you on the Island at the Atlantics.

Team: "Come Get Some"

Morrigan
08-20-2002, 08:21 AM
Ok, I tried the next carrier (#1) and even though i thought it would be to tight, it did work. No leak when i gassed up. Then i shot about 200-250 balls through it and the leak came back.

Odd thing is, if I have the safety on but pull the trigger back as far as it will go, the leak stops. Let go of the trigger and the leak down the barrel is back. Again, this is while the trigger safety is ON.

Anyone have a clue on this?

athomas
08-20-2002, 05:47 PM
How many shims do you have in right now? Try removing a shim.

When you pull the trigger with the safety on, the sear still may still move a bit but not enough to engage the on/off or release the bolt. The effect of moving the sear is that it pushes the bolt back slightly, which puts the vent hole further behind the o-ring. This causes the leak to stop. Removing a shim will put the o-ring further forward so the vent hole will be behind the o-ring while the bolt is at rest.

Morrigan
08-21-2002, 06:26 AM
Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I have 2 shims in there now. I'll try removing one or both and report back.