PDA

View Full Version : Think about it.....

shartley
08-19-2002, 08:52 AM
I just had to let something out.

I find it distressing that lately on the forums, if you have moral values, ethics, standards, etc. and express them openly, other members want to insult you. Having any of the aforementioned things does not mean you are on a high horse, are a stick in the mud, a prude, or any of the other names and descriptions being tossed at those who are proud to have them.

Life is not always terrible.
Rules are not always bad.
Enforcing rules is not bad.
Having standards of behavior and decency is not bad.
Showing respect for women is not bad.
Showing respect for your elders is not bad.
- and the list goes on and on.

Respect goes both ways, and that applies to personal respect as well as respect for what people post. There is not always a “high road” or a “low road”, most of us actually travel the “middle road” most of the time, and depending on the situation choose either a higher or lower path. This does not indicate a permanent placement in our journeys, but shows a brief moment in our travels.

spazzed
08-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Thank-you Sam:cool:

Dayspring
08-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Here here! Well said!

Shartley for AO Class President!

TheTramp
08-19-2002, 12:02 PM
I think you are absolutely right. I do however think that it goes both ways (in general, not you personally). I've also seen some pretty "high horse/prudish/stick-in-the-mud" opinions here. I know it's trite to say so, but everything isn’t black and white and there needs to be a little more acceptance of the gray area here. I'm not talking about gray area in the rules but in real life.

Jack & Coke
08-19-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
...I've also seen some pretty "high horse/prudish/stick-in-the-mud" opinions here. I know it's trite to say so, but everything isn’t black and white and there needs to be a little more acceptance of the gray area here...

TheTramp is correct.

PyRo
08-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Immaturity 4 eva!!!!!!!!!!
Oh wait... Shartleys right :)

Jonno06
08-19-2002, 04:54 PM
i agree with tramp,and jack and coke..

Python14
08-19-2002, 06:31 PM
I agree

paintbattler
08-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Shartley for AO Class President! lol yeah..here E here E, here comes the president

Jack & Coke
08-19-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by paintbattler
..here E here E..

...and to think, all this time I thought it was "Hear Ye! Hear Ye!".;)

AutoMaggot
08-19-2002, 10:37 PM
Meh.

It's a small talk forum, and it shouldn't be moderated to the extent that it already is... I think heated debates are wonderful, and I like to read some good ol' creative insults.

The technical forums and things of that nature should be moderated, because those actually serve a purpose. This is Automags.org... not smalltalk.org... lets keep to moderating the important stuff.

Just my opinion. Throw down some flames if you want.

pbstu
08-19-2002, 11:37 PM
i agree with AutoMaggot, we need less moderating on the friendly corner, i know theres rules and everything but im sure they could be modified for this particular forum, and i also like the heated debates, i think it would be worth loosening the rules a good deal and just seeing what happens.

stu.

Gitaroo Man
08-20-2002, 12:27 AM
well said (shartley's post that is)

dre1919
08-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by shartley
I just had to let something out.

I find it distressing that lately on the forums, if you have moral values, ethics, standards, etc. and express them openly, other members want to insult you. Having any of the aforementioned things does not mean you are on a high horse, are a stick in the mud, a prude, or any of the other names and descriptions being tossed at those who are proud to have them.

I agree here because I feel like if the subject matter is right I am very opinionated and passionate about debating an issue or saying what I believe. Unfortunately, most people are inclined to instead just say "yeah, what he said" or not reply at all depending on the issue and stance. However, I think that because you choose to try and bring up a point to an audience doesn't mean you should get hammered for it. (Which is something I've seen by lots of people here, young and old.) If you don't agree, don't flame...just say so. IMHO. Older doesn't always equal wiser...just as youth sometimes just doesn't understand.

Life is not always terrible.
Rules are not always bad.
Enforcing rules is not bad.
Having standards of behavior and decency is not bad.
Showing respect for women is not bad.
Showing respect for your elders is not bad.
- and the list goes on and on.

Respect goes both ways, and that applies to personal respect as well as respect for what people post. There is not always a “high road” or a “low road”, most of us actually travel the “middle road” most of the time, and depending on the situation choose either a higher or lower path. This does not indicate a permanent placement in our journeys, but shows a brief moment in our travels.

Yes it does, and it would be nice if that was the way it was percieved all the time. Unfortunately, it seems to me sometimes that some people who have been around for a long time may come across as sounding condescending or like a know-it-all. This only makes the reader angry because it then sounds like the person is trying to tell him what's right or wrong and isn't interested in their point of view. Likewise, it's real easy for a younger person to say they a sure they have the right way of thinking and some elder is just "out of their mind." Give them some more years and they'll understand. This is an interesting topic that could become an even more interesting argument, so I'll just stop here. I would just suggest everyone be polite and think before they type. "Can't we all just get along?" ;)