PDA

View Full Version : Truck advice!

Tyril
08-20-2002, 11:06 PM
Hey guys. I need help deciding on a truck.

First a bit of background.

I'm almost 17, and have been driving for 7 months now, no accidents, tickets, or the like. I currently drive a hand-me-down 1994 Altima GXE 5spd which is starting to show it's age. It seems that before we bought it used (5+ years ago), the previous owner got tapped in the front-right panel, causing some unknown damage to the transmission that has lain dormant for a decent bit. Nowadays, the poor syncros scream whenever I downshift, the front end shakes at 70+, and the stick often doesn't *quite* make it into a gear, leaving me powerless until I can reset it. Now, this isn't the greatest shape a car can be in, and when mixed with the general degradation of its vitals, it is looking more and more like I should begin to look for a new vehicle.

I've been doing a great deal of lawn-work (part-time and volunteer) these days, and am finally tried of borrowing our van and yanking out the backseat just to fit the required tools inside. This logically leads me to look at a truck for a possible next mode of transport. I haven't been looking long or hard into research (just beginning) and so I'm asking you more knowledgeable guys first.

What I'm looking for:

-Truck: (moderately long bed)
pref: Something that rides up reasonably high.
One thing I hate about my altima is how it seems to
disappear near any of the large SUV-like things on our
roads. Just feels unsafe.

-Power: One nice thing about the altima is my 2.4L mated
with the manual tranny allowed me the power to get out
of any situations that require immediate evacuation. I
would imagine that fully-loaded, a four-banger could
*not* be able to do that in my hypothetical truck. As
safety is a major concern, I would like at least a
moderate six.

-Economics: I've got a pretty good job at the moment, and a
respectable $4500 in the bank right now after this
year's insurance. Since this truck will be my method of
getting myself from school to work each day, my parents
will throw in a decent amount of capital towards the
final bill. I'm looking to spend at *max* 10k, but
probably safer around 8k. However, this lends to the
next point...

-Safety: My parents, due to their footing a portion of the
tab, have final say on any decision. Translated, this
means one word: Safety. I need to find a vehicle that
scores at least better then average on some respectable
safety test. I'm not sure: how do trucks do in these
rankings? I would assume that more safe==less
insuranceCost, so this is doubly stressed.

-Cab: I would prefer some sort of slightly extended cab,
simply because it gives me more space. I tend to live
out of my car =)

-4x4: I have no idea how four wheel drive has any effect on
any of the situations I might find myself in, nor the
pros and cons of its inclusion. I defer to your wisdom.

-Transmission: I would prefer manual. 'Just like the feel
of being in control of ton-weight mass of steel and
plastic that could be my grim demise ;) Either's fine.

-Make: I'm an american, but also a realist. Whatever works.

Thank you for bearing with me and this long post. I've not had terribly much experience when it comes to picking out brands/models/features of trucks. I know it's a quite of a list I've compiled, and I understand that there are many choices involved with each of the options I've listed as important. I suppose what I'm looking for right now are some suggestions as to what I should be looking for on ebay/lots/ect. and of course, if any of you have opinions on what might work better in my case, be sure to voice them.

Thanks again,

-mike

ronron2112
08-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Dodge Dakota. it has everything you're looking for: best in class power, decent bed, mad looks, rides high (4x4) with club cab you get some nice space, and it get decent gas milage.

AutoMaggot
08-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Meh.

Get a 5.9 Liter Grand Cherokee...

But if you really, really want a fast truck, try and find yourself a Dodge Ram RT with that same engine. You'll be runnin' quarter miles in no time, and smakin' the crap out of all the ricers you come accross.

Dayspring
08-21-2002, 12:04 AM
Try the Nissan Xterra. 3.3L engine, comes in supercharged and normally aspirated. Truck frame (based on frontier), several flavors (trim packages), EXTENSIVE owners groups (www.xterraownersclub.com), and they are running a good deal on the 2002's right now.

www.nissandriven.com

*Edit* Oh yeah- built and designed in the US.

ronron2112
08-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Automaggot, they dont make a Ram RT... they make a Dakota RT with the 5.9, and they're going to make the Ram SST i think with the 8.0 viper engine..

AutoMaggot
08-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Mint... Its gonna haul.

Collegeboy
08-21-2002, 11:12 AM
If you get an older model Dodge. DO NOT get on in the years of 1995 to 2000. IF you do, you better know a good transmission tech.

vf-xx
08-21-2002, 11:18 AM
If you're looking just to skate by and you don't mind doing some maintenance work on it go with a late 70's early 80's truck. (IMO doesn't matter what brand) You don't need 4x4 unless you plan on off roading. Plus you can probably pick one up really cheap. As for safety mine has soo much steel and huge crumple zones i'm really not worried. It also rides higher than many other trucks (and it's not lifted).

I personally drive a 78 Chevy Heavy-Half. With dual tanks. Granted its MPG is only about 15 or so but with dual tanks I can drive halfway across texas without having to stop for gas :D

*edit: more importantly if you get a cheap older vehicle if anything happens to it you're not out much. Granted you haven't been in any accidents YET but they happen (that's why they're called accidents). Plus if I remember correctly there are insurance discounts for older vehicles.

ronron2112
08-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Whats wrong with the tranny in the 95-00? i havent seen any problems, and have only heard good things about them

Dayspring
08-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Um, how about snow and other weather conditions?

Originally posted by vf-xx
You don't need 4x4 unless you plan on off roading.

vf-xx
08-21-2002, 11:55 AM
Ok dayspring your right. I'm too used to texas. Here you really don't need 4x4 unless you're going off roading. I suppose that there are other useful reasons for it. What I ment to say was only get it if you need it. Not for the hell of it.

rhetor22
08-21-2002, 12:45 PM
while its true that its best for offroading, 4x4 can really come in handy sometimes.

i say get a ford. you could get a ranger, but i think an F-150 extended cab 4x4 is just what you need.

Collegeboy
08-22-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ronron2112
Whats wrong with the tranny in the 95-00? i havent seen any problems, and have only heard good things about them

In those years (might include some outsdie those years). Chrylser used a radiator unit in the transmission systems. THat radiator unit has anywhere from a life of 5,000 miles to probably 100,000 or more. Now the thing is there is no sensor to tell you if that thing has gone out or not. You car will act normal until all of a sudden it quits moving. When it does that it means all those plastic gears in the chrysler transmission is melted and you ahve a 2,000 + bill on your hands.

Tyril
08-22-2002, 08:56 AM
Wow guys! Thanks for the extensive responses! Keep them coming!

Note- About Fuel Economy. My altima currently gets around 16-17 mpg due to internal friction and the like inside the transmission, so stepping down to 15 won't be that much of a loss =)

Also, I live in central Maryland, which sees a bit of snow *maybe* three times a year. As I don't plan on spending mcuh time off road. what other benifits does having four-wheel-drive grant you?

Thank again!

-mike

rhetor22
08-22-2002, 09:08 AM
well besides conditions where you need the traction, all that 4x4 will give you is good looks.

haha, you said 15-17mpg was bad! hahaa!!! sorry i'm a bit used to big trucks. :) :D

vf-xx
08-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Honestly my opinion still stands. Get something old and cheap to get you by till you get a real job (aka after college) then get a nice vehicle.

Another note about some of the older trucks is that they seem to have a larger bed wich is better for moving between home and college.

ronron2112
08-22-2002, 10:02 AM
4x4 will also give you more towing power, and the max weight you can put in the bed will increase also.

college boy: never new that was a prob with the newer body styles/engines

Python14
08-22-2002, 05:22 PM
This is almost exactly like my thread....hmmmm.

Well, My dad took me out this afternoon to look at two used trucks. The first was a Dodge Dakota('87 5-spd, 5.9 litre). I drove it up 460 south through Shawsville and Elliston with about 1200 lbs of Mulch in the bed. This stretch of road is about 10 miles of a 5% grade, then moving up to nearly 12 for two miles to Christiansburg. In that last stretch, I started the mountain going 47(2 miles over the limit btw:)). By the end of the 2 mile 12% grade stretch, I was going 44. 3 mph with 1200 lbs in the bed? Not bad. Not bad atall.

Now for my dream truck...A '85 Ford F-250 5 spd(Dunno the size). Same test.....started off at 45....finished off at? 46! But this time with a full ton in the back. Still don't know which I'm getting, if anything, I'd be greatful for either tho.

Hope this gives you some help deciding