PDA

View Full Version : need polishing info

Seancallahan
08-21-2002, 12:03 AM
OK i wana polish my black body rail.
I have allready polished a 1inch by a quarter inch spot on the back bottom but it took forever to sand it down using fine sand paper and mothers polish. Is thier a faster way to go about this...?

FooTemps
08-21-2002, 12:10 AM
Use a large grit and work down to a smaller grit.

athomas
08-21-2002, 08:16 AM
Try to use an acid solution to remove the black if possible. Drain-O might work. It'll save you some time.

With or without a stripper use:
Start with 300 grit to remove all black and/or to smooth the surface.
Next, use 600 grit.
Next, use crome polish.
It'll shine like a mirror.

sicones
08-21-2002, 08:28 AM
I heard that if you polish the body rail it’s aluminum and without a coating the finish will change or tarnish or something like that, is that true??? I heard this somewhere on the forums don’t remember where.

athomas
08-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Yes, the aluminum will tarnish. Ideally, it should be anodized clear once the desired finish is obtained. That way it will not oxidize.

sicones
08-21-2002, 03:37 PM
But why will it oxidize I have never seen aluminum oxidize

well anyway where could I get something clear anodized can you do it yourself

magman007
08-21-2002, 07:37 PM
you can do it your self, search for home annodizing and you should get a few threads, i did my e-mag

rehme
08-21-2002, 08:03 PM
i polished my rail i used a oven cleaner let it sit for about a hour come back wipe it off do it again that will slowly remove the paint and sand the rest off

athomas
08-21-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by sicones
But why will it oxidize I have never seen aluminum oxidize

well anyway where could I get something clear anodized can you do it yourself

Aluminum will oxidize. Most metals will. It turns cloudy and dull. Its not like the iron oxide (rust) you see on iron.

You can do the anodize yourself if you want. Its fairly easy. There are posts here on AO that explain the steps.