PDA

View Full Version : Durability of E-Guns?

HyperSnyper
08-22-2002, 10:01 AM
This question I know will have a whole bunch of different answers. My local shop tells me now that I have a true and more expensive E-gun (rather than my Hyperframe), I should be taking a propaortionately equal ammount of care.

I have gotten mixed answers on how well to take care of them. Some say DONT DROP IT DONT DRAG IT DONT HIT THE BUNKER WITH IT DONT PLAY IN THE RAIN while other have said that they dragged it in the mug, dropped it on a hard dive, or even turned and whacked a bunker while their current gun still works flawlessly.

I know mechanical guns, you can basically sling them into a brick wall and theyll still shoot paint after (if the barrel did not bend). But how much impact can an electrnoic board take before failure? How much moisture torture can a board handle from weather or landscape? Can you drop an E-Mag say from 6-7 feet onto a solid concrete ground with it still working after? Can you throw it against a brick wall. Store owner says Yes but wouldnt recommend doing it (what does that say?). If it starts raining, does this mean no playing with the E-gun?

LMK All.

-Hyper

Xen
08-22-2002, 10:07 AM
uhhh.... you seem to lack common sense. Not droping anything 6 feet or throwing anyhting against a wall is a good idea. And for the rain, As long as the electronics are sealed.... Why do you want to play in the rain anyways? Balls shoot like crap in the rain.

Pand0ra
08-22-2002, 10:14 AM
All the boards are made of SMD components. It means it should handle easily 30G, which is very hard to reach.
You'll likely break the marker before the board breaks.

Rain is another issue. I haven't seen so far a marker designed to play under a heavy rain.
Most will work, but are not reliable under those conditions.
I've played with my Emag during storms. It was raining so much the paintballs couldn't travel more than 5 meters before breaking :) .
I haven't had any problems with it after.

I never tried to drop my Emag Xtreme C&C on concrete. I'm not crazy enough. You'll likely break the bottle if you try this, and badly damage the annodisation.
Same thing for the wall...

@++

the123
08-22-2002, 10:20 AM
Hey it's your equipment. You can do all those things.
soemthing MIGHt break if you slam it on the ground. As far as rain goes, i tend to play on the side of caution in the rain
I'll switch off my e-mag and run in manual mode. Only if it's raining hard. Thats only if the tournament happens to be on a rainy day. PLaying in the rain kinda bites.

Shirow
08-22-2002, 10:38 AM
Try it, do an experiment. Smash an automag and an emag into a wall and see which one breaks first.

Or you can send me both and I'll conduct the experiment for you.

HyperSnyper
08-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Xen
uhhh.... you seem to lack common sense. Not droping anything 6 feet or throwing anyhting against a wall is a good idea.

uhhh... you seem to be the one lacking common sense. Just because some ppl on a board say dropping my gun wont damage it, you wont be catching me ontop the Empire state building with my gun about to freefall.

The purpose of this thread is to find the LIMITS of the E-Mags durability. By finding the maximum limits, that can change my mindset when I play.

Saying the board is fragile will mean I will have to take more care into ensuring my guns safety (especially since I like to rip my knees and elbows apart on slides and bunker dives).

Saying the board is very durable will mean I can think less about my gun and think more about my game.

If ppl say that the board is in fact pretty weather proof, then I kow I wont have to pack it up when it rains and I play. If it shorts easy, then I know I will have to call it a day (hey that rhymes... Anyways...).

Think Xen before you bark at ppl for asking innocent questions. It really makes me sick to see ppl like you on forums. Ppl wont ask questions if they fear ppl flaming them. It inhibits forum growth and stimulation.

-Hyper

Xen
08-22-2002, 10:48 AM
Yea whatever, ask ANYONE and they will tell you that ABUSING an item is never a good thing to do. Its like saying "Hey if I drive my lexus into a solid wall at 80 mph will I survive?"

a major shock to ANY board may damage or destroy it. No matter what electro you buy they all have silicone boards and are exactly the same duribility wise. Hell I seen a dodge ram accidenty drive over an angel taht was set down behind its wheel. Only had a few scratchs and once the destroyed hopper was removed it worked fine.

HyperSnyper
08-22-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Xen
Yea whatever, ask ANYONE and they will tell you that ABUSING an item is never a good thing to do. Its like saying "Hey if I drive my lexus into a solid wall at 80 mph will I survive?"

Funny that you should say that. ALL Major automotive companies spend intensive ammounts of time doing that. They get their cars and crash them into walls and find the weak points in the frame so maybe they can reinforce it. They can also determine where to place air bags.

I guess all the automotive companies are wrong... after all since you said driving into a brick wall isnt common sense.

Heck, why do that at all, just sell the untested automotive product to the masses, then they can "beta test" the cars and find the limits of its safety features.

Automotive Engineer Xen: "I swear I thought the 60mph breaking distance was 80 ft, I guess the Johnson family driving our new prototype car found out it was acutally 120ft... oh well... We're sure gonna miss them..."

pito189
08-22-2002, 11:15 AM
I dove into my bunker and landed on my E-Mag. The ground was rock hard (hadn't rained in 2 weeks). I weight 230 pounds, and it was quite the dive. I caught my breath and the gun worked flawlessly.

BASICALLY THE E-MAG CAN TAKE IT, AND KEEP ON TICKING!

HyperSnyper
08-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Xen

Another example Xen...

Society has common sense norms have taught us not to put our extremities in areas that they dont belong. Like cars in motions, machinery, unknown chemicals, etc.

Yet, if you look a couple threads up, you see ppl sticking fingers in pneumatic devices applying pressure on the parts, heck, the president of this pneumatic device company is even sticking his tongue in it. He must not have common sense?

The point is to show you under Xtreme conditions, the product will hold up to its claim.

3-4 Months ago, if I asked you to stick your finger in my Mag, you probably would have came out with your signature ignorant answer "No, its common sense to keep fingers out of marker breaches, you want my finger to get cut off?" But now that you know of lvl 10 you are now willing.

About one hour ago I was still under the impression where if I smacked my gun good on an object (rock, bunker, etc.) the impact would shift an electrical component on the board causing failure. But thanks to Pandoras generous info (thx Pand) I now know that the board can hold up to alot of punishment. I can now rest alot more easy when I play now, I can now even turn up my game a bit.

Crashing Lexus Cars into brick walls at 80 mph is pure lunacy. But knowing that if you crash your Lexus into a wall going 80, the cars features will ensure your safety, well, wouldnt that just make you rest alot easier whenever you went for a drive?

I rest my case.

If you dont understand by now, I then pity you.

-Hyper

magman007
08-22-2002, 01:06 PM
worried about rain? take some fish tank sealer and next time youi put your grips on, seal the grips on, you will be able to take em off later, it will just be a little hard. I carry a tube with me incxase it starts to rain, i gointo the trailer and apply it, it seals ok pretty fast, and fully in about liek12 hours?

nutz
08-22-2002, 01:17 PM
i played with my emag in 1 foot of snow and pouring rain... never hurt the electronics. I dove with it in the snow, didnt do ne thing

Xen
08-22-2002, 01:33 PM
There is no need to throw guns around. It doesnt save lives if your marker is strong so refrencing it to govt issued crash tests is just stupid. If you take care of things they last. Beat them to hell and every marker will fail.

gander666
08-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by HyperSnyper

Funny that you should say that. ALL Major automotive companies spend intensive ammounts of time doing that. They get their cars and crash them into walls and find the weak points in the frame so maybe they can reinforce it. They can also determine where to place air bags.

Actually, the DOT and the NHTSA require them to do the crash tests to be able to sell cars in the US. Porsche's high end car (959?) is not for sale here, because to meet the saftey rules, they would have had to destroy like 2/3's the number they made TOTAL.

PB guns are a little less regulated.

Geoff

rhetor22
08-22-2002, 06:40 PM
what is the braking distance on an xmag anyways?

i'd like to see the results of driving an emag into a wall at 60mph, and the side impact results.

I've really mishandled my mag once or twice... like dropping it down the stairs... (whoops)

the mag was fine... didn't even scratch the paint. my mag is a classic tho so i'm not sure about the electronics.

my guess would be that the board itself could take quite a large drop as long as its safely tucked inside the grip frame.

and btw, you're right, the 959 was never street legal. they made the carrera 4 S to be the U.S. version, but its much less techy advanced. the 959 had many many electronics in it. it was actually one of the heavier porsches due to all its new shtuff. had dual sequential turbos.... man thats a nice car.

HyperSnyper
08-22-2002, 08:41 PM
The person I bought my Micro E-Mag from, said he really abused his guns. He had 2 Angels and a High End Cocker. He really really abused his guns, said it was more fun by taking your game more into the extreme side.

He told me about this little technique he learned by watching the Naughty Dawgs at a tourney. He said their front guy, right before diving face first, would throw the gun slightly infront of him. That way it would slide into the bunker before he got there, then he would just pick up the gun and start shooting up the tape. Said its great, you can dive harder and faster since you would have 2 hands supporting you.

Not exactly something I would try here in Hawaii (with all the rocks and such), but maybe something to take into consideration with my cheap back up Spyders. All his High end guns had galls, pits, dents, dings, fades, scratches, the works. He said he likes it better that way.

Interesting, but not my style.

-Hyper

Polishpickles451
08-23-2002, 09:18 AM
well of any egun the emag would be the most reliable. First, because the mag valve is simple, waterproof, and few things can go wrong w/ it and an emag, if the electronics fail or battery runs out, you can easily switch to manual mode.
other then that alot of eguns have reliability problems. My two teammates w/ bushies are always having strange problems that are caused by electronics. Alot of eguns are simple more difficult to fix, and anything where electrical contact is an issue can be a problem. A bump in the wrong way could make a battery not contact properly. The lower end eguns, from what i've seen, tend to have alot of problems that are hard to fix, angels and emags definatly are built to very high quality and you will have few problems here.