PDA

View Full Version : Stock minimag barrel

Cornmuffin87
08-22-2002, 05:11 PM
how good is the stock minimag barrel?...

SyntaxError
08-22-2002, 05:21 PM
hey im gonna let you in a little secret....barrels, as long as the inner bore is smooth and not scratched and crappy, will shoot pretty much the same. Huh?! Yeah its true. Barrels used to matter more when paint wasn't as round as it is today, but now with the new super-round, relatively unblemished shell paints, most barrels will shoot the same PROVIDED PAINT TO BARREL MATCH IS DECENT!!

Porting however, only noticably affects noise, and lowers gas effieciency. With a good paint/barrel match the ball will not be "ricocheting" around in the barrel due to "turbulence" (remember the old SP ads from like 4 years ago? hehehe) of the air behind the ball.

yeah it shoots pretty well, its a bit short for my tastes, but i guess it shoots fine.

Cornmuffin87
08-22-2002, 05:36 PM
yeah i know all about the whole 'what makes a barrel accurate' deal...let me rephrase my question a bit....is the inside of the stock minimag barrel machined well...i.e. is it smooth?

PyRo
08-22-2002, 05:37 PM
12in minimal porting, and matches your paint. Thats what you want.

hitech
08-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Cornmuffin87
is the inside of the stock minimag barrel machined well...i.e. is it smooth?

Yes it is. The only problem I see with it is it is LOUD.

PyRo
08-22-2002, 06:00 PM
Louder is better. Intimidate the newbs :)

speedyejl
08-23-2002, 12:20 AM
the smoothness of the barrel plays a great role in balls shooting straight. But porting is still important. This is because if any air gets infront of the ball on the way out and isint vented out well the ball hits it thus creating one of those totally random shots. So for a good barrel you need a little porting and a super smooth surface.

PyRo
08-23-2002, 05:59 AM
The stock barrel is great, but it is large bore. .691, so if your shooting somthing like blaze you definatley need a smaller barrel.