PDA

View Full Version : The E-magnum must go...

Butterfingers
08-22-2002, 05:42 PM
As much as it saddens me to do this it must be done.

The gun will be given to Don tomorrow so that he can sell it for me.

Given my current financial obligations and the upcoming semester I can no longer afford to keep the e-magnum.

I owe the princeton review over $1200 for my MCAT review course and I need money for books next semester.

I have thought long and hard and there is no way around it. The e-magnum must go.

This marker has brought me much joy for the time I have owned it and it saddens me that I have no other options but to let it go. But as always, sometimes sacrafices must be made in the game of life, and my education always takes priority over material posessions.

I hope the new owner will find as much pleasure in its ownership as I have.

Perhaps in the future I will buy an extreme e-mag. But for now the e-magnum is for sale.

cris8762
08-22-2002, 05:47 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOOO!!!!!

http://www.pbreview.com/forums/images/smilies/bigcry.gif http://www.pbreview.com/forums/images/smilies/bigcry.gif http://www.pbreview.com/forums/images/smilies/bigcry.gif http://www.pbreview.com/forums/images/smilies/bigcry.gif

http://www.pbreview.com/forums/images/smilies/bawling.gif http://www.pbreview.com/forums/images/smilies/bawling.gif http://www.pbreview.com/forums/images/smilies/bawling.gif

hey man, i'm sad for ya.that sucks....well i've got an announcement too....i've gotta sell my all black pf mag to help me save up for a car..... best of luck to ya on selling ur e-magnum

BajaBoy
08-22-2002, 06:50 PM
No! :(

ill prob be in the same boat soon tho:( :(

Emagster
08-22-2002, 07:41 PM
I know how ya feel. well sorta. i dont have to do it right now, but in the future(dont know near or distant) I'm gunna need to get a car and I wont have as much time to play paintball so I'll probably be sellin my emagnum. but I luv it so much i dont wanna think about that. I just wanna get out and play

rx2
08-22-2002, 11:28 PM
To put it in a rudimentary manner, that sucks.
The greatest thing about being in the field of sciences such as biology is that things are revised constantly. So, the 300 dollars worth of books you just bought will be out of date by next semester, and will thusly sell for 1/10th the price to a used-book store. To make matters worse, some professors only refer to the text in passing, or not at all.
Personally, I would have skipped the review, though. But, my mind operates differently from most when it comes to standardized tests.

Good luck!

luke
08-23-2002, 07:47 AM
It's the grownup thing to do. Sounds to me like you got it together!

Toys should always come second. Invest in your future now so you can have ALL the toys later.:D

agdjon
08-23-2002, 08:03 AM
Hehehe, I already spent over my allowance to paintball this year. I have cut back significantly already

Jon

shartley
08-23-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by luke
It's the grownup thing to do. Sounds to me like you got it together!

Toys should always come second. Invest in your future now so you can have ALL the toys later.:D
That is one of the best things I have read on AO in a long time.

I used to look around at *older* folks that seemed to have all the *toys* in life (cars, houses, motorcycles, other toys, etc.) and I would say how it is wasted on them. I would actually get a bit upset and work harder to GET those toys. Well, it never seemed to do much good, and I was not making peanuts either.

Then I looked at my life…. Hmmmmm Family, Job, Bills, etc, All my money was going to someone else! My kids had more *toys* than I did. And since I grew up in a poor household (understatement) I never had those types of *toys* growing up…. Seems I missed that as well. LOL

My point? I now fully understand why *older* folks *have*. It is because it is now their time. They gave their whole lives, and now that they don’t have most of the *expenditures* they used to, they can get the things they wanted all their lives, but that had to take a back seat. I am happy to now see some of that myself. Of course I still have a full house, so I have to be careful, but I do get a *toy* now and again.

And you know what? When I see that older gentleman cruising down the road in his brand new sports car, or on his decked out motorcycle, I give him a big thumbs up. Way to go!

Then I come to AO and read about kids complaining that things cost too much, the world is so unfair, etc. Well, time goes by, and how we see the world changes…. believe it or not. ;) And *worse* things are coming your way… trust me. But better things are also coming your way. Take the best time you can think of ever happening to you (and worse as well), and it will pale in comparison to what is coming your way. And that is a GOOD thing.

Yes, Butterfingers, I have no doubt you will get another Marker… and bigger and better than before. :D

hardr0ck68
08-23-2002, 09:40 AM
my father raced dirt track for years when he was 18-25....he was good, never had the cash to buy the best stuff but still kept up and always placed in the points sersies. Now he is a miserable 45 year old because he went for the "american dream" and got a job as an enginear at kodak a family a big house and like 5 cars....he still has the race car he wont sell it....a mini sprint turnin 200 horse....but alot of the guys he raced with are now runnin world of outlaws makin $100,000 a year to drive a fully sponcered car....personally money aside, i say worry about becomming part of the wounderful grinding workforce of america when your to old to enjoy life....cause your only around for 60 more years or so. why wait till your 45 to allow yourself to enjoy life and have the toys?

shartley
08-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by hardr0ck68
my father raced dirt track for years when he was 18-25....he was good, never had the cash to buy the best stuff but still kept up and always placed in the points sersies. Now he is a miserable 45 year old because he went for the "american dream" and got a job as an enginear at kodak a family a big house and like 5 cars....he still has the race car he wont sell it....a mini sprint turnin 200 horse....but alot of the guys he raced with are now runnin world of outlaws makin $100,000 a year to drive a fully sponcered car....personally money aside, i say worry about becomming part of the wounderful grinding workforce of america when your to old to enjoy life....cause your only around for 60 more years or so. why wait till your 45 to allow yourself to enjoy life and have the toys?
Very interesting point of view.

Do you have a Wife and Children?

Do you think that if you spend all your money on *your* toys, and enjoying life, that this will continue when you are 45-65 and over?

And how do you expect to pay for all the things a family needs AND your toys? Most jobs only allow for one or the other, and most people have to determine which is the most important. Of course some folks are fortunate enough to afford BOTH, but that is not very common in today’s world.

Do you think that 45 is even close to being the cutoff of enjoying life? I used to think so when I was much younger… but I know very differently now.

I am sorry that your father is miserable. But I bet it is because of more than financial reasons, or that he does not make as much as some of his *buddies* do. Sounds like he is still doing quite well to me. I know many unhappy people who have few financial problems.

As for me, I would not trade watching my kids grow and enjoy life, for all the money in the world. And being both poor and fairly well off has taught me one important thing… money does not make you happy, nor does being poor make you sad. Happy people who live good lives will most likely be happy people rich or poor. That has nothing to do with the amount of *toys* or material wealth you have. As the saying goes, the richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

So, again, looking at people who gave everything they had to their families and are now miserable, is no indication as to if they gave it all to themselves they would be happy. What makes many of us happy IS giving to our families. This is also what makes getting things for ourselves (after we have given to others for so long) such a wonderful and fulfilling thing. We know that it has not always been about *us*, but about what we can do for our loved ones.

And 45 is not even close to being too old for our moment of *youthful enjoyment*… heck when we are older, we actually appreciate things more and have MORE fun because we have wanted it our whole lives. Just something to think about. ;)

cphilip
08-23-2002, 10:19 AM
45 is the end of the line huh? Sheeesh I feel kind sick and tired now...gotta go take a nap and get me some a dat "Focus" brain enhancer stuff... :rolleyes:

Go ahead Butters do what you have to. we are pulling for you dude. Sorry you have to part with your baby but I think your doig the right thing. Stay outa debt young and it iwll pay off later on.

Restola
08-23-2002, 11:37 AM
It ends at 45?! I'm almost halfway dead :(

luke
08-23-2002, 11:44 AM
:)hardr0ck68,
I could tell you what I have and what I sacrificed to get here at age 34, but it would probably sound like bragging, so I won't. But, I will say that the choices you make starting at 16 years old does have an out come on where you end up in life. Time is precious, use it wisely. Life will be very tough if you wait until your "40" to invest in your future. My biggest regret is not continuing my education after High school, I likely would have met many of my goals sooner if I would have....

hitech
08-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Shartley,

Thanks for that. I've been in that situation (most everything going to family needs) for the last year. It's turning around, but that well written post helped remined me why I did it. Thanks again. :D

shartley
08-23-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by hitech
Shartley,

Thanks for that. I've been in that situation (most everything going to family needs) for the last year. It's turning around, but that well written post helped remined me why I did it. Thanks again. :D
No problem… and thank you. Families are what it is all about.... the rest is icing on the cake. :)

rudy
08-23-2002, 04:16 PM
when he says books he means an extreme

Webmaster
08-23-2002, 05:35 PM
HEY - do what I did! Get a bunch of credit cards and drill your self into so much debt that 4 years later you are still paying for your first autococker you sold 3 years ago!!

Its fun!

On second thought - no - dont do that...

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
08-23-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers
As much as it saddens me to do this it must be done.

The gun will be given to Don tomorrow so that he can sell it for me.

Given my current financial obligations and the upcoming semester I can no longer afford to keep the e-magnum.

I owe the princeton review over $1200 for my MCAT review course and I need money for books next semester.

I have thought long and hard and there is no way around it. The e-magnum must go.

This marker has brought me much joy for the time I have owned it and it saddens me that I have no other options but to let it go. But as always, sometimes sacrafices must be made in the game of life, and my education always takes priority over material posessions.

I hope the new owner will find as much pleasure in its ownership as I have.

Perhaps in the future I will buy an extreme e-mag. But for now the e-magnum is for sale.

noooo!!!! you had to decide this one day after i bought an angel!

legion
08-23-2002, 10:14 PM
HAHAHA, well, i'm not four years into it, but i do have four years left ;-). I have to agree, definately do not go with that approach!

Legion

BajaBoy
08-23-2002, 11:16 PM
shartley, great speach/words.. i bet they mean alot to the people who are reading, they did to me

RetroEclipseMan
08-24-2002, 02:44 AM
First of all. Shartley, you should seriously change the thing under your name from "the Enforcer" to :AO's Father" and I do mean that in a good way. You always have the best advise and all right and mature answers.

Secondly. They way I see it is that if you're gonna have a good life later on down the road then you gotta work hard while your young. I just graduated highschool a few months ago and start the Seattle Art Institute in October and have devoted all my time to work to save for school and play paintball on the weekend. I figure if I work my butt off in school the next two full years and can get a decent job then I won't have to worry so much about having to retire so late like so many people nowadays. Also I have found that the people that respect life and their possesions are the ones that have to work for it. That's pretty close to what Shartley was saying I think.

Jonno06
08-24-2002, 10:27 AM
pfft...screw future.....have fun while you can...you dont KNOW what your future is,nor does anyone..

openboater
08-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Do Both Do Both Do Both

Have fun while you're young AND work hard. At just a little over 50, I look back and smile. Yea, 30 years ago I drank my way thru Cornell, graduated, got a good job but never stopped having fun.(Well, there have been days....)

Fun doesn't mean eating steak and lobster. Most of my most enjoyable dinners were spaghetti, with friends.

A few rules to get rich.

Find a good wife you love and stay with her. Divorce lawyers are the most expensive things on the face of the earth. And I've been told they are not fun.

Have a few kids , and play with them. that will keep you young. My son got me into paintball, now he plays with my old RTPRO while I use the C&C EXTREEM.

Change sports every 10 years. Try something new.

hardr0ck68
08-24-2002, 05:10 PM
no my old man aint guumpy about cash, hes upset because he was a jock, like hard core and he put his sports and hobbies on hold to have a family, he did the family thing with the respectable job and guess what, hes to old to compete at what he loves...hes still good enough to play basketball with the local boys but not the college kids anymore...same with racing small tracks its all good but out there with the big boys he aint got it any more....my point is there is pleny of time to become part of the grinding working capitalistic machine that is america after you have worn out your back, knees and are generally physically burned out...there are 4 stages to life, birth growth, decay, and death....which one are you on when your 45??

shartley
08-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by hardr0ck68
...there are 4 stages to life, birth growth, decay, and death....which one are you on when your 45??
LOLROF It is none of the *stages* you listed, sorry (well, maybe still growth, but not for all). If you think you go right from growth to decay, I advise not getting any older… LOL Also, many times people get in BETTER shape after they reach their 30’s and 40’s…. maintain into their 60’s and then begin to *relax* after that point.

As for the other stuff.. that is very unfortunate. I for one am sorry to hear it. But with that said, your father is not an accurate indication of what we all feel, or how we are. I hope he gets his second wind, sometimes that is all that is needed…. And again, some of us never lost our first winds. ;)

:D:D:D:D

E==Mag MAN
08-24-2002, 08:38 PM
.....Shartly first off being 14 that speech meant alot to me so props to you. You should have more posts like taht then my mom might let me stay on longer:) good reading material

CRiZO
08-24-2002, 08:48 PM
This thread saddens me...:(

Maybe you could sell a family member or something and continue rockin the emagnum

cris8762
08-24-2002, 10:11 PM
sell a kidney! ya got 2!:D

Restola
08-24-2002, 10:36 PM
I am in a similar circumstance, although inability to play is a contributing factor. I plan to be preoccupied with basic training this winter :)