PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting Computer

DYE-BaLLeR
08-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Anyone who knows how to reformat, i need your help. this is what i have so far.

I will go start>run>command to bring me to msdos promt. then ill type format c: which will clean the c drive of everything.

Is that right? what to i do after that? i think im gunna burn all the important files, then reformat. hows it sound?

xmetal2001
08-23-2002, 03:46 PM
That should work, you might as well try. Whats the worst that could happen, your harddrive is formatted?:)

rhetor22
08-23-2002, 04:28 PM
i'm not too sure if that will work... especially because you'll be running windows while you are formating...

you can make a boot disc and put it into the drive then reboot your computer. when the c: comes up type "format.com c" i'm pretty sure thats it. then just hit next...

should take about 30 min or so depending on hd size.

keep in mind this deletes EVERYTHING as well as Windows!!!

dave_p
08-23-2002, 05:09 PM
create a dos boot disk by putting a floppy in the drive. at a command prompt type format A:/s/u
leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.
at the A:/ prompt type format C:
type y.
done.
you must be at an A:/> prompt. you cannot format a drive if it is the current directory.

subbeh
08-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Or just go to start > shutdown and restart in MS-DOS mode, which will shutdown windows, then do it. Screw a boot disc. Although I wouldn't reformat if you don't have a boot disc... might be tough to install OS if you restart the computer :D

DYE-BaLLeR
08-23-2002, 05:30 PM
uggg this is tought, 4 different ideas. i dont really wanna make the floppy, i like the idea of starting in msdos mode, could u tell me more bout that?

dave_p
08-23-2002, 06:12 PM
4 ideas but only one is the right one.
if you start in dos mode you will be at a c:/ prompt.
you cant format the current directory.
if you find it difficult make a boot disk i wouldnt venture a format/ reinstall.

Tron
08-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Don't do it unless you really know whats going on. I suggest you ask a friend who can handle it and watch him the first time. You don't want to hose anything and then end up paying some wank at CompUSA to fix it.

-Tron

Jonneh
08-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Gah, assuming you're using anything higher than Windows 98, you can just put it in the drive, then set your bios to boot from there. That will then let you reformat, without all the hassle of fdisk etc.

HOORAY FOR MICROSOFT!!1
http://www.digitalbrain.com/jonneh/corn.jpg

rhetor22
08-23-2002, 07:56 PM
ok just to make this clear:

Formatting your hard drive DELETES ALL INFORMATION.

nothing will be left on your hard drive! not even an operating system(OS)!!! so first make sure you have an OS install disc with you.

second, you can't format a drive while using a format program on that drive! Therefore you must make a boot disc or have a program in you BIOS, or have a program on a CD to format the hard drive.

Please make sure you know what you are doing, because you can't come here and ask for help when your computer is blank!

magman007
08-23-2002, 08:12 PM
how can he use a cd if his driver information is on the hard drive? also, may i ask why you are reformating?

Tron
08-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by magman007
how can he use a cd if his driver information is on the hard drive? also, may i ask why you are reformating?

CD creates a virtual A:\ using ramdisk with all the tools he will need.

-Tron

WickeDKlowN
08-23-2002, 10:47 PM
First, make sure you have a FULL version of Windows, not an upgrade. Then make a boot disk.

Put the boot disk in the floppy drive, and restart.
Type "format c:" from the "A:\" prompt
Wait
Then restart and use the CD-ROM mode on the boot disk, and install your OS

Also, to answer another question, Win98 and up put CD-ROM drivers on the boot disk so you can use your CD drive

pbstu
08-23-2002, 11:49 PM
im doing the same thing as dye baller right now and i have "borrowed" version of win98, but it doesnt have an autorun on it so when i set it to boot from cdrom in bios it doesnt find the win98 cd, now can i just copy the win98 cd to disk and then reburn it with an autorun, and if so what goes in the autorun, and its autorun.ini right?

stu.

edit: also how do you switch drives in ms-dos, i cant remember and so switching to A to reformat could prove a bit difficult.

DYE-BaLLeR
08-24-2002, 12:15 AM
ugg u guys are talkin bout bios an stuff im not really sure what dat is so if someone could gimme steps, a site, or their aim thatd rock. thnks. o and im reformatting cuz my other computer says every prgm i run illegally operates, but i cant find a virus after checkin all the drives, and HP duznt make recovery disc fo windows 98. thats y

WickeDKlowN
08-24-2002, 11:42 AM
no offense but if you dont even know what the bios is, you prolly shouldnt be reformatting it by yourself. i would suggest taking it to someoe who knows how to do it. but if you want to do it yourself, just follow the instructions that are in my previous post, they have worked fine for me many times.

pbstu
08-24-2002, 12:38 PM
hey WickeDKlowN look at my previous post plz and let me know the anwsers to my questions.

stu.

Miscue
08-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Boot off disk.

format c: /q

Tunaman
08-25-2002, 04:15 PM
If you are gonna format, use the /s switch so you still have your startup files. You also might try just reloading a copy of Win98 right over your present installation. Then you wont lose all your info and good stuff

DYE-BaLLeR
08-25-2002, 06:01 PM
nm im just gunna take it to best buy and get it dun fo 30 bucks