PDA

View Full Version : my friend

LittleKrems
08-23-2002, 09:35 PM
hi my friend wants a paintball marker for christmas and is a beginner. any suggestions? i was thinking about:

piranha,
tippmann,
used mag?

help!

FooTemps
08-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Well, the gun I started out with was a mag... I still own the same mag and it's in great condition.

LittMag
08-23-2002, 11:57 PM
Tippmann... Spyder... they'll all cost you about 125+ Used or new. Used mag fully setup costs about 100 more. Depending on how much your friend wants to play a used mag on CO2 is not a bad investment at all. Just let him know he will get what he pays for. The tippy and spiders will eventually break down. My mag has been in service for at least 8 years now and shoots as good as a new mag =)

shartley
08-24-2002, 07:19 AM
I would say a lot comes down to money. Depending on how much you want to spend, it would determine what marker/setup I would recommend. Remember, it takes more than a Marker to play paintball... and more than a Marker to even SHOOT a paintball. ;)

(I always get a kick out of watching someone go to buy a Marker and they pick out one in their price range, then they have to get all the other stuff that goes with it… LOL ooops They are quite often shocked. That is why I almost always say Marker/Setup.)

Also I do not know how rough your friend is. If he is VERY rough and might not take the care some of us do with our equipment, I would say a Tippmann would be a good marker to start with. That is why they are used so often as *rentals*.

If he can take care of his equipment, I would recommend a good Spyder. Both my Son and Wife shoot Sypders and love them. They get a bad rap from those with *higher end* markers, but honestly, they do quite well. With good paint to barrel match (heck we have found that darn near any medium paint works great with the stock barrel) you can shoot darts. And trigger speed? Come on, most new people have other things to worry about than trying to shoot 13BPS. LOL I know my Son and Wife can still rip on them pretty good for a *low end* marker. ;) (you can see pictures of my marker and my Son and Wife’s as well using the link in my signature)

Plus you have to figure if this person will STAY in the sport for an extended period of time or not. I personally think it is silly to get expensive equipment for something that will be a passing interest. Paintball is not an inexpensive sport, and I often see people drop to the wayside because of this. So putting a lot of money into the *best* equipment can be a mistake.

Now… there are people out there that just have loads to spend, or that just like having the best. For them, I would say get a used Mag(retro)…. And then if they really want a blast, go RTPro! :D (Sorry had to plug it again….. ;))

DaFlip
08-24-2002, 08:36 AM
Tippy 98, its a rock. Great gun.

DaFlip

AcemanPB
08-24-2002, 09:10 AM
some type of electro spyder, they are really cheap now and he would not get left behind (BPS wise)

DaFlip
08-24-2002, 09:31 AM
http://www.action-village.com/010-4811-2.html

$80, add a reg and bottomline setup. Then a hopper, co2, mask, etc. Its not a Tippmann, but Ive been thinking of it for a back up gun. Dont know about the quality, but oh well you get what you pay for.

DaFlip

magman007
08-24-2002, 01:19 PM
im gunna reccomend either a black dragun, a BKO, or A TKO mag from actionvillage. it gives you everything you need, well except for the expansion chamber. stupid actionvillage seling a startermag with gassthrough... any ways tell him to go for the mag, he can upgrae slowly, and not get left behind. not spend an arm and a leg upgrading his spyder, then selling it for below what it is really worth.

granted spyders are really nice markers, i started out with a blue shutter, but the realized after buying one aftermarket barrel, i could have gotten a mag(totaled up to about 300) so i bought a mag, found some one to sell my spyder to and kept going.

but then i realized (Ding the lightbulb came on) that the money i was going to spend to make my mag the way i wanted it (minimag body, retro, splashkit, and so on) i could have gotten an rt pro. any ways, go with the mag! also i think there was a nice rt pro for sale for like 300 in classifieds, get his parents to buy it now, and hold onto it

LittMag
08-24-2002, 01:33 PM
I guess another reason to buy a Used Automag is that once you buy it used, the resale value for a mag really doesn't go down at all. If your friend wants out he could probably get close to what he paid for it back (unless he trashes the mag... which is pretty hard).

mike e
08-24-2002, 01:36 PM
i would never recomend a mag to a new player. the precautions to use co2, the ability to short stroke, just to many variables to go wrong. i know people will say oh but level 10 no more choping or that its not to hard to use co2 however, to a newbie, yes these are big steps until they get into the sport, and i think kingman and tippmann are way above the curb in entry level guns.

Mr. Poopie
08-24-2002, 02:08 PM
hi im the uhhh newbie. my friend littlekrems gotta automag and i love it. im still debating with myself on how much i wanna spend. I play airsoft so that takes up a lot of my money. thanks for ur suggestions.

confedman75
08-24-2002, 02:25 PM
theres only two ways the angel ir3 or the blade

LaW
08-24-2002, 02:54 PM
If you go with the spyder or tippmann you spend a lot less money and don't lose as much if you decide that this sport is not for you.

HoppysMag
08-24-2002, 04:31 PM
foo temps is a lier!!! he had a PG1 PRO!!!:D dont try to hide your past Foo:p

Mr. Poopie
08-24-2002, 11:43 PM
thanks a lot guys im probably getting a spyder now cuz they are cheap and pretty good.
cya on the battle feild.