PDA

View Full Version : Airline + Gear = ??

spazzed
08-24-2002, 08:08 PM
I'm flying to chicago for the game.. anything special I need to do at the airport? Declare it? My tank is empty, but other than that, I'm lost. Thanks guys.

manike
08-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. I do it often.

Take a paintball magazine with you and declare them at check in explaining what they are (magazine helps for this). Do not call them firearms or weapons. If anything explain them as sports equipment, I often try and talk about them as my shiney toys ;)

If you can take the reg off the tank then it helps, otherwise being able to prove that it is open to the atmosphere is important for the airline.

Above all be nice and polite and smiley. When they take you off the flight for not declaring them protest that you often fly with 'said' airline because you fly with your markers so regularly with them, and smile sweetly after they bump you up a class ;) (three times and counting :) )

manike

Restola
08-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Call them. I have two parents in the airlines and I can tell you it changes every day, and every airline will be slightly different.

good luck

manike is right about the polite thing. These people put up with crap day in and day out, nothing will get you rewarded like a smile and a kind word :)

Vegeta
08-24-2002, 08:25 PM
I have never done it before but since it is your first time I would call ahead to the airport and ask to speak to the security people and ask about what to do.

And when you pack your bags, take the barrel off the gun. Even though it isn't a firearm, you don't wanna make the secuirty people nervous. You tank should be totally empty.

If you are coming from another country, you don't have to declare the marker but I belive you would with the tank. Make sure they know you have it all though. Telling them before hand would be nice.

magman007
08-24-2002, 08:30 PM
ok heres how i did it comin to chile. I went to check my luggage and they give you a card of things on it that you have tot ell them if you have them, even if they neglect to get the card, you have to tell them about the tank. they will want to see it, look at the gagie and ask you to depress the pinvalve( if screw in) what i did was took the tank and screwed it into the on off on my drop, depressed the on off and proved to them that nothing came out. they were satisfied. When i got here, all i had to declare is if i had fruit, veggies, foreign animals, or topsoil in my bag. nothing else.

zbody
08-24-2002, 08:44 PM
I got hauled off of a plane in Guatemala because they thought I was trying to sneak guns and explosives onto it. Open up my suitcase and there sits my old procarbine and a busted open bag of M&Ms. Good for a couple of laughs and still made the flight. A whole lot easier if you just explain what you've got before you checkin your bags.

spazzed
08-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Will-do. Thanks guys..

Another ?... You reccomend carrying on my gear, or checking it ??

BTW, I'm flying Southwest. The most ghetto *** 737's known to man! :D

Clare
08-24-2002, 08:52 PM
Just make sure you don't carry on your "paintball marker" or tank, they won't like that one bit if they happen to search you and such.

For some reason, I've gotten searched every single time I've traveled..picked out of long line too..must be my shifty eyes that draw attention. :p jk

JJBrookshire
08-24-2002, 09:00 PM
You cannot carry on your gear (even tools are a no no). Check all of your gear, make sure the air systems are empty and you can prove it. For domestic flights, you don't need to declare anything and would be best not to. Do NOT claim your marker as a firearm for any reason. It is not a firearm and does not fall under the rules for firearms.

Greg98
08-24-2002, 09:00 PM
wow, what a coincidence this thread popped up!! i'm checking all my gear tomorrow on my way to phoenix, so i called them and it looks like everything is cool. oh and Manike, thanks alot for the recommendation of bringing a paintball magazine!! if they have any doubt as to what my minimag is i can just flip open a page and show them!!! hopefully everything goes smoothly, i don't want my baby getting injured!! (it's wrapped in like 10 layers of foam :D )

spazzed
08-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Sweet! Thanks again everyone!!

~spazzed 43 2/3 of 1000 ;-)

Restola
08-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa
For some reason, I've gotten searched every single time I've traveled..picked out of long line too..must be my shifty eyes that draw attention. :p jk

I'm betting its something else too :)